What's new

Solved A question about installing Merlin firmware to brand new RT-AX88U PRO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@L&LD I merely quoted the key parts of each post to avoid creating an unnecessary wall of text. Each quote could be clicked on to read the entire post in context, or a user could just scroll up the page.

RMerlin has answered the question that @Amplifier asked. If another user asks the same question in the future perhaps you and I can direct them to his post.

Thank you to all for the replies. One hopes I didn't cause too much of a problem asking the question, and also hope I didn't offend anyone.

Thank you to all for the replies. One hopes I didn't cause too much of a problem asking the question, and also hope I didn't offend anyone.

Don't worry, these debates happen on a lot of topics and things sometimes get off course. But we do get to see several opinions/viewpoints on a topic. Usually the debate means there is no clear answer, but I think in your case, if the router is brand new, it wouldn't hurt to do a hard factory reset after installing merlin, and may help, however there is no hard and fast rule/requirement to do so. If you've already set stuff up and it is working fine, you're probably ok as you are.

Going from stock to Merlin (or vice-versa) I would definitely do a factory reset after. I wouldn't risk running into weird issues and then having to come to the forums and ask what could be wrong. In the end, the recommendation would invariably be: just do a reset after flashing & then manual config.
I've seen this situation play out many times exactly so.

@sharkus
Let me clear this up for you. You have two guides to follow.

A good habit to form, installing any type of S/W and firmware, before you start jumping through hoops. Always be familiar with the official documentation. It's better to be ready if something goes wrong following any alternative methods.

Or you can follow the steps by L&LD in the link that you referenced in your post.

*Keep in mind.
  • Developers try to make their products and documentation user-friendly. It's not in their interest to make it any more difficult for end users than in has to be.
  • Sometimes development progresses much faster than some end users care to update their own knowledge base, sticking to old habits and outdated or redundant steps.

With all due respect @L&LD this might be pointless since you don't seem to care to realize where you are wrong based on OP and back and forth with @ColinTaylor.
  1. You are undermining developers at Asus and Eric Sauvageau aka RMerlin. They just don't know any better, right? They never revised their firmware or documentation, right?
  2. You are overcomplicating things with redundant steps, complexity which will only serve as a confusion to any beginners that might come across your "guide". Confusion might turn some beginners away from products. Confusion is the creator of mistakes.
I would only agree with your steps if the topic at hand was debugging any issues, with an open table for any ideas, and not a simple installation.

Eric Sauvageau edited this page on Dec 3, 2022 15 revisions
Created Installation (markdown) @RMerl RMerl committed
Aug 20, 2012

It's not a language barrier. It's inability to see own errors and not a single step in debugging own self and updating and upgrading own self. Is your mind less valuable to you than a router?

RMerlin 1 step vs L&LD 15 steps
Clearly, you don't see the difference or the cause for this OP, which speaks for itself.

Best regards.

You have missed the point entirely.

RMerlin doesn't have 1 step. He has multiple steps that require a highly knowledgeable individual to apply appropriately. No discredit to RMerlin though, as he states that if any issues occur, do a full reset anyway.

What I have summarized and suggested is to do that reset right away after installing the new firmware. That is one step. See, you have it backward. And the reason to do so is in my posts above. I can summarize them if needed for you.

I agree it's not a language barrier for me. Your interpretation and assumptions about my abilities are hilarious though.

@L&LD I merely quoted the key parts of each post to avoid creating an unnecessary wall of text. Each quote could be clicked on to read the entire post in context, or a user could just scroll up the page.

You quoted parts of the text and that is all you replied to. My posts don't stand on each word or sentence but in their entirety.

Status
Not open for further replies.