What's new

Solved A question about installing Merlin firmware to brand new RT-AX88U PRO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkus

Occasional Visitor
Apologies for the likely DOH! type post.

I'm going to be picking up an AX88U and I wanted to check that it's ok to skip whatever initial setup is required and just flash the latest merlin firmware to it.
I was going to follow the information here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-packet-loss.62891/#post-563326 going to step 9, and then in step 13 using the latest merlin firmware, which I believe is 388.3_0 as of right now.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Apologies for the likely DOH! type post.

I'm going to be picking up an AX88U and I wanted to check that it's ok to skip whatever initial setup is required and just flash the latest merlin firmware to it.
I was going to follow the information here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-packet-loss.62891/#post-563326 going to step 9, and then in step 13 using the latest merlin firmware, which I believe is 388.3_0 as of right now.

Does that sound like a good plan?
I would probably just do a factory reset on it before you start, so it's nice and fresh when you load the latest Merlin firmware on there. And yeah, you should be on 388.3_0 at the moment.

The factory reset is required after flashing the firmware you want to use. You can do it before. But you must do it afterward. Whether going from stock to RMerlin firmware, or, vice versa.

thanks for the clarification. I’ll make sure I do that

The factory reset is required after flashing the firmware you want to use. You can do it before. But you must do it afterward. Whether going from stock to RMerlin firmware, or, vice versa.
Am I misunderstanding README-merlin.txt?
I see no such requirements, nor do I believe I fall under "strongly recommended" exceptions.
To avoid any possible issues before setting everything up, sure, why not.
I was already setup and running before I decided to go for asuswrt-merlin. Yet to experience any issues.

140-141
155-159

Thanks. I’ll do that

You will have to do the initial setup to get in and upgrade. You could use the recovery tool but that would take longer, the quick setup takes like 30 sec and you can use dummy wifi names. After upgrading, hard reset again and configure for real this time.

@Amplifier, RMerlin himself has stated what I repeated in various posts throughout the forums.

In the quotes you provided, I read it as switching from Asus (originally Tomato based), to RMerlin. Reset needed.

Experience has borne that interpretation too as the best practice to a truly stable and performant network, long term.

@Amplifier, RMerlin himself has stated what I repeated in various posts throughout the forums.
I do not believe that to be the case (other than when explicitly mentioned in the release notes). Can you provide links to RMerlin's posts that say a factory reset is mandatory when going from stock to Merlin firmware?

Of course there's always the proviso "If you run into any issue after an upgrade and you haven't done so, try doing a factory default reset as well." And in the OP's case where he doesn't have a pre-existing configuration that he wants to preserve there's no reason not to do a factory reset before he starts to configure it.

In the quotes you provided, I read it as switching from Asus (originally Tomato based), to RMerlin. Reset needed.
That's not what it said. It was making a very clear and deliberate destination between Asuswrt firmware and non-Asuswrt firmware.

Last edited:
I do not believe that to be the case (other than when explicitly mentioned in the release notes). Can you provide links to RMerlin's posts that say a factory reset is mandatory when going from stock to Merlin firmware?

Of course there's always the proviso "If you run into any issue after an upgrade and you haven't done so, try doing a factory default reset as well." And in the OP's case where he doesn't have a pre-existing configuration that he wants to preserve there's no reason not to do a factory reset before he starts to configure it.

That's not what it said. It was making a very clear and deliberate destination between Asuswrt firmware and non-Asuswrt firmware.

Provide links? Please use search. I believe you're better at it than I am. That proviso is there for a reason, ime.

Yes. RMerlin firmware is non-Asuswrt firmware (even if it is based on it). I'm reading it correctly.

Provide links? Please use search. I believe you're better at it than I am. That proviso is there for a reason, ime.
I have searched and can find nothing from RMerlin that supports your statement that a factory reset is a mandatory requirement. If you're going to speak on RMerlin's behalf it's for you to provide the links.

Yes. RMerlin firmware is non-Asuswrt firmware (even if it is based on it). I'm reading it correctly.
No you are not reading it correctly. The meaning of the installation instructions is crystal clear. You have said in the past that English is not your first language and I think this may be your problem here.

My interpretation is it is not required unless specifically called out in the release notes, but always a good idea especially if making a big jump, switching between stock and Merlin (or any other 3rd party) or back to stock, or going to a new major release like 386 to 388.

You may have 0 issues if you don't. You may have inexplicable issues that the only solution is to reset later down the road. Might as well do it at the time of upgrade to be safe, especially on a brand new router with no configs.

I'm not speaking on RMerlin's behalf.

I'm stating what I've read here on the forums. As I've stated many times, I read every single post on all the forums here. My proof is my word. You're not required to believe. That is why the search is on you.

Yes, English isn't my first language. That is why I read analytically. And try to answer the same way.

I think it may have been more necessary when the structures were so different but not so much now.
Example: Used to be there were five files used in Merlin for static list, custom client list and host names now it is just the two like Asus use. (highlighted).
Merlin more and more just follows the structure that Asus uses so changing between them is just GUI upload and done.

f.jpg

I'm not speaking on RMerlin's behalf.
You are when you say things like "RMerlin himself has stated what I repeated in various posts throughout the forums". You're putting your own words in RMerlin's mouth in an attempt to validate your statements.

I'm stating what I've read here on the forums. As I've stated many times, I read every single post on all the forums here. My proof is my word. You're not required to believe. That is why the search is on you.
I read every post as well. That means nothing. Your word is not proof of anything that's why you need to back it up with supporting links or other evidence. If RMerlin's position on mandatory resets has changed then the installation instructions in the README and Wiki need to be updated to reflect that.

My interpretation is it is not required unless specifically called out in the release notes, but always a good idea especially if making a big jump, switching between stock and Merlin (or any other 3rd party) or back to stock, or going to a new major release like 386 to 388.

You may have 0 issues if you don't. You may have inexplicable issues that the only solution is to reset later down the road. Might as well do it at the time of upgrade to be safe, especially on a brand new router with no configs.
That's my interpretation as well. If you already have a working setup there's a big difference between "a good idea" and "mandatory".

Resetting to factory default after going from stock to Asuswrt-Merlin is not mandator. If coming from releases that are fairly close to one another then it's fine to keep your existing configuration. The firmware will even take care of adjusting the few rare cases where settings might be different (like SSH settings), with the exception of VPN-related settings. You will need to reconfigure your VPN settings if you were using them on stock.

However, I cannot guarantee the results of going from Asuswrt-Merlin to stock. Asuswrt-Merlin has code specifically designed to adjust relevant settings when first booted with stock settings, however stock firmware does not have such code when going the opposite direction.

@ColinTaylor, see RMerlin's response above. I did not state anything substantially different.

Your interpretation of what I post is your issue. I stated I'm not putting words in RMerlin's mouth. I'm repeating what I have read previously. Your word is not proof of anything either, following your own logic.

I've explained how I interpret the words I've read. There is nothing more I need to add here.

After all, I'm only able to share my knowledge and expertise. Not yours.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor, see RMerlin's response above. I did not state anything substantially different.
Sigh. Your response was substantially different otherwise we wouldn't have had this discussion.

You said:
@Amplifier asked:
I see no such requirements, nor do I believe I fall under "strongly recommended" exceptions.
To which you said:

RMerlin has now made clear "Resetting to factory default after going from stock to Asuswrt-Merlin is not mandatory".

Your word is not proof of anything either, following your own logic.
I agree, that's why I try and quote my sources. If you have information that contradicts what I've said then please quote your sources.

@ColinTaylor, as usual, you're only reading, quoting, and responding to what you want.

Please don't partially quote me or anyone else for that matter. Your interpretations are simply wrong.

These are the whole quotes, missing many parts you simply forget or ignore to take into account.

I didn't quote anyone. I paraphrased what I've read before (same as what RMerlin has posted in the quote below) and added my perspective to it too. While my paraphrasing wasn't as complete as it could have been (I can't remember responses, word-for-word), it was in the spirit of providing the best answer possible.

Something you're not even attempting to do here.

RMerlin:
Resetting to factory default after going from stock to Asuswrt-Merlin is not mandator. If coming from releases that are fairly close to one another then it's fine to keep your existing configuration. The firmware will even take care of adjusting the few rare cases where settings might be different (like SSH settings), with the exception of VPN-related settings. You will need to reconfigure your VPN settings if you were using them on stock.

However, I cannot guarantee the results of going from Asuswrt-Merlin to stock. Asuswrt-Merlin has code specifically designed to adjust relevant settings when first booted with stock settings, however stock firmware does not have such code when going the opposite direction.

L&LD:

Experience has borne that interpretation too as the best practice to a truly stable and performant network, long term.

If you read the entire posts and do not pick and choose which sentences or parts of sentences you focus on to criticize, there is no substantial difference.

I don't have the time when replying to each OP here to check if their stock firmware vs. RMerlin's was 'fairly close', at the time they upgraded (even if they would know, it's neither here nor there. One can't tell by mere version numbers if 'fairly close' was true for that specific firmware (s) or not). Nor do I need to know/ask if they're running VPNs either. I chose to answer with a slightly more general method that adds 10 to 15 minutes of time to do once, and correctly, but can save many hours and days of troubleshooting and log reading that in the end may not even help correct the issue at all. In other words, my intentions are to help beginners, at minimal cost in time and frustration.

And, that last sentence says it all from my quote above. That last sentence isn't separate from the rest of my reply. It is an integral part of it.

Please try to see the forest and not merely the trees.

@sharkus
Let me clear this up for you. You have two guides to follow.

A good habit to form, installing any type of S/W and firmware, before you start jumping through hoops. Always be familiar with the official documentation. It's better to be ready if something goes wrong following any alternative methods.

Or you can follow the steps by L&LD in the link that you referenced in your post.

*Keep in mind.
  • Developers try to make their products and documentation user-friendly. It's not in their interest to make it any more difficult for end users than in has to be.
  • Sometimes development progresses much faster than some end users care to update their own knowledge base, sticking to old habits and outdated or redundant steps.

With all due respect @L&LD this might be pointless since you don't seem to care to realize where you are wrong based on OP and back and forth with @ColinTaylor.
  1. You are undermining developers at Asus and Eric Sauvageau aka RMerlin. They just don't know any better, right? They never revised their firmware or documentation, right?
  2. You are overcomplicating things with redundant steps, complexity which will only serve as a confusion to any beginners that might come across your "guide". Confusion might turn some beginners away from products. Confusion is the creator of mistakes.
I would only agree with your steps if the topic at hand was debugging any issues, with an open table for any ideas, and not a simple installation.

Since Asuswrt-Merlin is mostly a variant of the original Asuswrt, it means that there is no special procedure to flash it. Just flash it the same way you would flash any regular Asus firmware.
Eric Sauvageau edited this page on Dec 3, 2022 15 revisions
Created Installation (markdown) @RMerl RMerl committed
Aug 20, 2012

It's not a language barrier. It's inability to see own errors and not a single step in debugging own self and updating and upgrading own self. Is your mind less valuable to you than a router?

RMerlin 1 step vs L&LD 15 steps
Clearly, you don't see the difference or the cause for this OP, which speaks for itself.

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.