What's new

Firmware Update for RT-AX88U Pro - New Install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Louis James

Occasional Visitor
Good Afternoon:

Just purchased the RT-AX88U Pro and I'm impressed. Very easy to setup and use. My next step was to switch to Asus Merlin. I have al RT-AX88U with Merlin. The RT-AX88U Pro is still with the Factory Asus Firmware.

I have them setup in a Mesh (again, very easy to setup)

1695411176772.png

You can see that the RT-AX88U Pro is at V.3.006.102 While the AT-AX88U (Node) is with Merlin V. 3.004.388. In other words the Asus Factory seems later than the Asus Merlin. Should I just wait until Merlin catches up? I would think to would eventually be wise that both firmware matches.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Louis

Your pro is on newer firmware. Also it is best to run the node on Asus firmware.

In other words the Asus Factory seems later than the Asus Merlin. Should I just wait until Merlin catches up?

Asuswrt for Pro models is on different firmware base. You won't get 3.0.0.6 Asuswrt-Merlin any soon.

Yes, I would have both matched for the most stable network possible.

Don't forget After flashing the firmware you want to fully reset the router and to not use any saved backup config files to secure it and connect to your ISP (that will effectively negate the reset you performed).

The same release number firmware for different hardware platforms is actually a different firmware. Not exactly matching.

Good Afternoon:

Just purchased the RT-AX88U Pro and I'm impressed. Very easy to setup and use. My next step was to switch to Asus Merlin. I have al RT-AX88U with Merlin. The RT-AX88U Pro is still with the Factory Asus Firmware.

I have them setup in a Mesh (again, very easy to setup)

View attachment 53215

You can see that the RT-AX88U Pro is at V.3.006.102 While the AT-AX88U (Node) is with Merlin V. 3.004.388. In other words the Asus Factory seems later than the Asus Merlin. Should I just wait until Merlin catches up? I would think to would eventually be wise that both firmware matches.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Louis
I'm curious as to why you chose to go with Merlin over ASUS' firmware. Do you have a specific usage scenario not able to be handled by the stock firmware?

Guys i have a problem with my router performance. i'm using latest Merlin firmware and i have attached 2 HDD 4TB each. it seems the router is unable to handle it. 100% RAM all the time. i tried to remove one disk but same issue. do you know if router can be the problem? tnx

@manup85 That 100% is not solid. A lot of it is cache for your large drives, and there's a buffer as well. These caches and buffer will be reduced if more ram is needed.
In Linux, empty ram is wasted ram.
That said, if these are spinning platters, and draw power from the usb you may likely hit instability at some point. Some ssds also draw a large current.
For example:
What you see
Screenshot_2023-11-17-11-54-45-24_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

What you don't see
Screenshot_2023-11-17-11-53-58-09_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

Last edited:
@manup85 That 100% is not solid. A lot of it is cache for your large drives, and there's a buffer as well. These caches and buffer will be reduced if more ram is needed.
In Linux, empty ram is wasted ram.
That said, if these are spinning platters, and draw power from the usb you may likely hit instability at some point. Some ssds also draw a large current.
For example:
What you see
View attachment 54255

What you don't see
View attachment 54256
how do i see what i dont see?
i can confirm you that the instability came in.
i couldnt remote connect the router as i losted ETH ports.
that i supposed is related to 100% ram.

Thank you

how do i see what i dont see?
You have merlin so the simplest way is to view a live readout of ram usage. In ssh
Code:
watch -n 5 free -m
This is a live readout of your RAM state, and you'll be able to see it change.

For the graphical version I used install scMerlin.

Last edited:
i can confirm you that the instability came in.
i couldnt remote connect the router as i losted ETH ports.
that i supposed is related to 100% ram.
In that pie chart above you see almost half the ram is being used as "drive" 'cache' which will be discarded in an instant if more of what's shown as 'used' (by running programs) is needed.

It's /possible/ the instability occured because not enough ram could be freed, but it's equally or even more likely the result of something else, like one or more CPU cores staying pegged due to a too-busy or otherwise misbehaving task.

Not saying it's the case, but you might have misconfiguration to blame.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!