What's new

A Question on Wi-Fi 6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yakuzah

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone. I was wondering if I could ask for some advice please?

I have recently setup a Wi-Fi 6 Mesh service in my home based on the Asus AX11000.

I decided as a large amount of my clients are 802.11ac or Wi-Fi 5 I would split all the bands.

I have a dedicated SSID for 2.4Ghz clients (Mostly IoT Devices)

I then created an SSID for 5Ghz(1) for Phones, Tablets, Google Home etc.

I then wanted a dedicated SSID 5Ghz(2) for 802.11ax or Wi-Fi 6 only for my PS5, and any other devices that I might want to cnnect to this band.

The question is mainly around the channel bandwidth?

On the first 5Ghz(1) Band there is an option to enable 160Mhz and set the Control Channel. I was under the impressions there are limited devices that support 160Mhz for 802.11ac(wi-Fi 5)? So do I need to enable this function?

One the Second 5Ghz(2) Band I have enabled 160Mhz and set the speed to 802.11ax(Wi-Fi 6) only and set the control channel.

If I was to enable 160Mhz on the first 5Ghz band, what if any benefits will I gain please? I would imagine there would be some channel cross-over between the first and second 5Ghz bands, would there not?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

Hi everyone. I was wondering if I could ask for some advice please?

I have recently setup a Wi-Fi 6 Mesh service in my home based on the Asus AX11000.

I decided as a large amount of my clients are 802.11ac or Wi-Fi 5 I would split all the bands.

I have a dedicated SSID for 2.4Ghz clients (Mostly IoT Devices)

I then created an SSID for 5Ghz(1) for Phones, Tablets, Google Home etc.

I then wanted a dedicated SSID 5Ghz(2) for 802.11ax or Wi-Fi 6 only for my PS5, and any other devices that I might want to cnnect to this band.

The question is mainly around the channel bandwidth?

On the first 5Ghz(1) Band there is an option to enable 160Mhz and set the Control Channel. I was under the impressions there are limited devices that support 160Mhz for 802.11ac(wi-Fi 5)? So do I need to enable this function?

One the Second 5Ghz(2) Band I have enabled 160Mhz and set the speed to 802.11ax(Wi-Fi 6) only and set the control channel.

If I was to enable 160Mhz on the first 5Ghz band, what if any benefits will I gain please? I would imagine there would be some channel cross-over between the first and second 5Ghz bands, would there not?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

I don't have any tri-band experience yet, but I suspect you should keep your WiFi 5 AC use at 20/40/80 MHz.

This band graph may be helpful:

graphic-80211-acchannels-all-png.25230

OE

Using 160 MHz bandwidth on requires 8 contiguous channels. This means you need to use DFS channels, which are subject to being knocked offline if radar is detected.
Just use 80 MHz bandwidth. You will have fewer headaches.

Thanks to you both for your swift and informative replies! I will change the Wi-Fi 5 to 80Mhz.

Thanks very much for your help and advice.