What's new

A stubborn network client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I'm having a problem renaming a device on my network. It's a Samsung Galaxy A3 mobile phone. I've tried several times to give it the name I want it to have, but when I recheck the list of connected devices, the original name is still showing. Is this a bug by any chance? I'm using the latest Merlin build on my RT-AX88U Pro.

Also noticed high RAM use as well, so not sure if that could be related to the issue above (perhaps the router was having brainstorm).

Screenshot - 17_07_2023 , 19_22_21.png

I've just rebooted the router and the RAM has returned to normal levels. Not sure about the other problem yet as it hasn't reconnected.

If you have the randomising MAC address feature on your phone set, then it'll just be seen as a new device every time it logs onto the router. In that case, the router will just create a name based on how the phone identifies it's host, which is often not going to be what you've set the device name to - it's an annoying Android thing!
As for the memory issue, I'm sure peeps have pointed out that the total RAM you are looking at also includes Caches and Buffers, so you probably have much more RAM available if you really need it! On that front page RAM display I have just 48MB left, but a dive-in via SCMERLIN show it's actually 400MB+ free!

Randomising is turned off on the device. Interestingly, after it left the network, I checked the offline clients list and it was showing the name I had tried to set. After rebooting, the device has come back online, also with the name I set, so everything is back to normal now. I'll check out Scmerlin to see what it can do when I'm in tinkering mode again (I think I may have used it once in the past, but I can't remember what it does), so thanks for that.

I'm having a problem renaming a device on my network. It's a Samsung Galaxy A3 mobile phone. I've tried several times to give it the name I want it to have, but when I recheck the list of connected devices, the original name is still showing. Is this a bug by any chance? I'm using the latest Merlin build on my RT-AX88U Pro.
If you're renaming through the Asus phone app but running Merlin, some settings won't stick. Rename--actually, do everything--through a browser.

If you're renaming through the Asus phone app but running Merlin, some settings won't stick. Rename--actually, do everything--through a browser.
I only ever use a browser to set up my router.

Network Mapper is buggy as hell on AsusWRT - and Androids and iPhones don't make it any easier...

I wouldn't worry about it too much - as long as the WPA2/3 password is secure, you're good to go...