What's new

A Work In Progress: Belkin Gigabit Powerline HD Starter Kit Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blexley

Regular Contributor
A Work In Progress: Belkin Gigabit Powerline HD Starter Kit Reviewed

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30888/51/

Quote from page 2

"Today's powerline networking technology uses both conducted and radiated signals. "

Radiated signals ?

Are you saying that powerline plugs not only transmit their signal too each other via the mains wiring they also transmit too each other in free air like wireless ?

:confused:

No radiated as in near-field coupling. Any current flowing through a conductor produces an electric field.

Oh i seeeeeee :)

Thanks for clearing that up :D

Great review by the way and it's saved me money as i nearly ordered them but now from your review i'm going to wait until they have improved the technology as i would have been right pissed to have spent all that money to got the same speeds as my 200mbs plugs.

Doesn't seem like the interfaces show up as GigE

Plugged in a set in my townhome, and I noticed that neither my GigE switch or my router identify these as GigE rated-did you see that on your end as well?

I upgraded to the latest firmware from Belkins website.

Plugged in a set in my townhome, and I noticed that neither my GigE switch or my router identify these as GigE rated-did you see that on your end as well?
No. They properly linked up as 1000 Mbps.

No. They properly linked up as 1000 Mbps.

Wonder if I got a bad pair, then. Could bad cables cause it to drop to 100Mbps?

My router is a Linksys WRT600N and the switch is a Netgear GS105.

If your cables don't have all 4 pair (8 wires) that would certainly cause a problem.

Yeah-looks like I got some bad cables-swapped out one side and the GigE came live.

Thanks for the head-check.

doesn't work with PS3

I got a set to use instead of a wireless connection from my PS3 to my media server. The adapters don't connect at full speed (amber light so 200 Mbs or less), but the PS3 sees them. To a point. I get an IP address, and internet connectivity, but it shows NAT3 and no UPnP. So, no media server. No, from a different PC, I can ping both the PS3 and the media server, so they work. And, if I disconnect the Belkin and reconnect to the wireless access point, the PS3 connects and sees the server no problem. Does the Belkin not support UPnP? (Although it says it should work with gaming consoles, etc), or is it just my speed is too low? I did notice that, when I connected a laptop to the adapter to see if it worked, which it did and I could connect to the 'net, it did seem to run pretty slow, but I don't know how a verify a speed.

Like other networking connections, powerline doesn't care what is running through it.

Sounds like you may have a slow/intermittent connection.

Time how long it takes to transfer a large file to get an idea of the speed you are getting.

If your cables don't have all 4 pair (8 wires) that would certainly cause a problem.

Yep-bad cables there be, and now both sides see a GigE signal. Haven't seen how fast I can move things across yet, but so far so good-no crashes or hiccups.

I've got 2 x pairs of these running round the house now, the speeds are marginally better than the 200mb Netgear units I was using, but I'm finding that individual 'nodes' will 'hang' sometimes letting none, sometimes only letting one or two connections through.

It's easy to fix - power cycle, but that's a ballache. I've upgraded the firmware / changed cables out and stuff - no joy. They really need to release a diagnostic tool :/

Can someone tell me if the power supply on these is 110-220v capable, even though the unit label says 110v. There is a also a UK model of these, which I am sure is 220v. The only visual difference seems to be the wall plug adapter, which is removable/exchangeable.

I have tried opening them, but to no avail. As the reviewer also said he wasn't able to open them up. Under the password label, there is a tab which if you push down, and pull the wall plug base out, seems to slide out, but then gets stuck. Not sure what else to do.

I have a Netgear powerline adapter as well, which while saying 110v on the back, ran fine on a 220v line after I accidentally plugged it in. These ones, I don't want to take a chance as these are pretty expensive :) Another example is PS3, which while saying 110v on the unit, runs fine on 220v as well.

Calling Belkin hasn't helped at all, even tier 2 support wasn't able to tell if the internal supply supported dual voltage or not. Their email simply said check in the back of the unit what the sticker says.

I would appreciate if someone can shed some light on the subject.
Thanks.

Sorry, but Belkin wanted the product back, so I no longer have it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!