What's new

AB-Solution 1.06 is out!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's correct. It strips any "/r" from DOS files that used "/r/n" as line terminations.
Thanks, realized the benefit this morning too and testing is under way ATM.
Changes will be pushed to GitHub soon. The sort -u is reintroduced and the "[sh] Sort hosts file in alphabetical order" menu point is consequently removed.

Does anyone else have multiple entries in /jffs/scripts/post-mount of this:
Code:
# generated by AB-Solution 1.05
if [ -d "/tmp/mnt/sixteen" ];then
    sleep 2
    service restart_dnsmasq
    logger "AB-Solution added entries via post-mount"
fi
You can safely remove duplicates.
I'll post v.1.07 later today or tomorrow with a smarter check for an existing entry.

Does anyone else have multiple entries in /jffs/scripts/post-mount of this:
Code:
# generated by AB-Solution 1.05
if [ -d "/tmp/mnt/sixteen" ];then
    sleep 2
    service restart_dnsmasq
fi
You can safely remove duplicates.
I'll post v.1.07 later today or tomorrow with a smarter check for an existing entry.
Hi,

I do have duplicates on my post-mount:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# generated by AB-Solution 1.06
if [ -d "/tmp/mnt/sda1" ];then
   sleep 2
   service restart_dnsmasq
fi

# generated by AB-Solution 1.06
if [ -d "/tmp/mnt/sda1" ];then
   sleep 2
   service restart_dnsmasq
fi

So i'm gonna remove the duplicates :)

Thanks for you work on this script, good work.

@CiscoX Thanks for confirming my suspicion.
AB-Solution wants to establish dominance in that file!

Not a problem really, it just restarts dnsmasq repetedly during a boot up.

V1.07 will remove the duplicates and bring it back to order and set AB-Solution back in it's place.

I tried v1.05 using the wget command and it worked fine on firmware 380.57.7_HGG-FINAL After noticing an update I grabbed it again so it created another copy appending a .1 to the end as expected so I just deleted the 1st one and renamed the second one. Then I saw you changed the wget command to curl to address this issue as well as allowing certification. I tried the curl command but was unsuccessful because of an error that stated something like, "curl was not enabled or compiled to support https:" Is there an option I can enable or is it the way the firmware was compiled? I went back to using wget and obtained v1.06. Thanks for all the hard work...

Is there an option I can enable or is it the way the firmware was compiled?
Thats for the maintainer of the 380.57.7_HGG-FINAL to answer.

HGG include curl.

octopus@OCTOPUS:/tmp/home/root# curl -V
curl 7.47.1 (arm-unknown-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.47.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2f zlib/1.2.8
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps pop3 pop3s rtsp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: IPv6 Largefile NTLM NTLM_WB SSL libz UnixSockets

I have a mips processor.

dave@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# curl -V
curl 7.47.1 (mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.47.1
Protocols: dict file ftp gopher http imap pop3 rtsp smtp telnet tftp
Features: IPv6 Largefile UnixSockets

Having a very strange issue which has been present since ab-s.v1.00. When ab-s is active my desktop network connection indicator shows no internet? But internet does exsist. I am running win10 1511 and have a Intel l218-v.

This stops some Microsoft apps updating, also Windows can't go online to activate itself. I suspect it also stops Windows updates too.

I actually have dual adapters on the desktop and switching over to a realtek adapter appears to work normally.

The behaviour has happened on two separate routers? And persisted through clean OS installs.

Otherwise everything works fine on my network of Android devices, iphones, smart TV etc. Something specific to my PC Ethernet attached win 10 (static IP).

Any ideas? Some talk was mentioned of blocking Ms phoning home in earlier posts but is this active? A Windows 10 laptop works fine over wifi.

A combination of router reboot and switching on/off logging has made the issue go away for now.

Should I have this in the hosts-adblock -

0.0.0.0 localhost

Sorry if this is a silly question.

Having a very strange issue which has been present since ab-s.v1.00. When ab-s is active my desktop network connection indicator shows no internet? But internet does exsist. I am running win10 1511 and have a Intel l218-v.
This also happens on Win7 and Win8 machines. I never bothered to check the real reasons as I am playing a lot with (large) hosts files on my routers. That indicator usually switches over to connected, even though the WAN access works fine from the beginning. My Linux machines and a wide array of mobile devices never have a problem.
I actually have dual adapters on the desktop and switching over to a realtek adapter appears to work normally.
My main rig, A Windows 10 machine, also has two wired adapters and if I switch it on, a third wireless network card. They all connect to three different routers. Depending on which one is up and running I get the same results as you do.
Should I have this in the hosts-adblock - 0.0.0.0 localhost
You may safely remove that entry, it is meant to direct local traffic to the local machine and is not needed in the router hosts file.
AB-Solution v1.07 will remove these per default.

Windows periodically tries to contact some Microsoft web sites to determine if there is internet access. Apparently something in the adblock is blocking this (or maybe you have Win10Tracking blocks installed?). You can disable the checks with the following reg file
Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet]
"EnableActiveProbing"=dword:00000000

Last edited:
I have a mips processor.

curl 7.47.1 (mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.47.1
Protocols: dict file ftp gopher http imap pop3 rtsp smtp telnet tftp
Features: IPv6 Largefile UnixSockets

I reinstalled John's fork and was successful using curl with https:

curl 7.21.7 (mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.21.7 OpenSSL/1.0.2g
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps pop3 pop3s rtsp smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: Largefile NTLM SSL TLS-SRP

Last edited:
Windows periodically tries to contact some Microsoft web sites to determine if there is internet access. Apparently something in the adblock is blocking this (or maybe you have Win10Tracking blocks installed?). You can disable the checks with the following reg file
Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet]
"EnableActiveProbing"=dword:00000000
That would be the www.hey-redmond.i-have-some-stats.to-share.com

I am not shure why I am having problems, so here I go :)

I installed this, v1.06, on a AC88 with 380.58. Fresh, factory reset and all.

Now, I seem to have minor issues with blacklist. And it is a bit funny, since it works on my ethernet cable connected PC, however my android devices (multiple) does not block access...

Example: we have a lot of "fusion.expressen.se" referenses for the "www.expressen.se" web site. Now IF I browse this web site in my stationary cable connected PC (win10) - it blocks all content from "fusion.expressen.se" as speced in the blacklist file (/mnt/sdb1/adblocking/blacklist.txt). However, my Samsung Note 4 (Android 5.1.1, no root or anything), will ALWAYS on WIFI download content from "fusion.expressen.se", the same for my Samsung Tab 10.5 S. No matter if I restart, or kills the chrome web browser in my devices - it will STILL connect and download from "fusion.expressen.se".

So how can I verify this? And any tips on why this does not work on my Android devices?

The funny thing is, my orignal script for adblock, was from the first thread mentioned in v1.0 of this excellent tool. And THAT one did work perfectly. So what differs? I do not know, except my blacklist does not seem to work on portable devices (Wifi connected). But cables does block...

It must be something funny somewhere - this is not logical ;-)

EDIT: Turned on logging, and well I get a lot of calls to dns - but I can not even find my mobiles calls at all - so that tells me that my mobile seem to jump the router DNS completly - even the www.expressen.se is missing (I even search only on expressen - no difference). This is strange - I know this worked on my previous AC3200 (had my own version as I wrote), however this time I thought I test something else... But no show...

Last edited:
Okay - found the problem...

I use Google Chrome web browser on my Android devices. Now I have enabled compression, this seems to sidestep DNS request to router - and goes direct to google servers.

After I disabled the compression in Chrome I have no more adds.

Problem solved.