What's new

amtm About Amtm, scripts and USB drives

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

L81

New Around Here
Hi ! Noob here, messing with my Ac68U Merlin. Just followed M&M guide (thanks!) and now ready to fight with scripts.

My main and first noob question is about jffs and USB drive. I know you can install scripts in Jffs but most of you are using an USB drive as swap AND to install scripts there. So...

"Who" is living in Jffs and saying "Hey, the scripts are located in the USB" ? Is it Amtm ?

What's the point about running scripts from USB and not from Jffs directly? Is this because memory degradation?

Let's figure I properly set USB swap and some scripts with Amtm. What if router is booted without the USB drive attached? Will it boot and work?

Thaaanks

While some scripts are able to run from the JFFS, many require Entware to be installed, including a swap file of 2GB too.

Look at the link in my signature below for the amtm Step-by-Step Guide to properly use a USB drive for scripts.

Just skip the parts to install amtm, it is already installed in the current RMerlin firmware.

The router will boot up and should work without the USB drive connected, but none of the scripts will run.

Once configured to use the USB drive, it will be needed for the proper operation of the router.

The router will boot up and should work without the USB drive connected, but none of the scripts will run.

Once configured to use the USB drive, it will be needed for the proper operation of the router.

Thanks! I am following your Step-by-Step Guide for USB drive and scripts.

So let's say after all the steps I can run scripts and have a swap partition.
But what happens if I switch off the router, remove the USB, and switch it on again? Your answer is not clear to me :-(

Will it work (none of the scripts will run) or as you said the USB will be needed for the proper operation of the router?

Can't see at which point the router becomes "USB dependant". In other words, I would like to know how to back into a "no usb no scripts" configuration without a full reset and clean installation from scratch.

Thanks!

With a USB drive configured with use for amtm and scripts, the USB drive is necessary for the proper use of the installed scripts.

If you remove the USB drive and start the router without it, the router will work. But without script support.

Depending on the scripts used, the router may or may not be functional when the USB drive is not inserted and working correctly.

Reactions: L81
In other words, I would like to know how to back into a "no usb no scripts" configuration without a full reset and clean installation from scratch.
Go into the GUI and set Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs to No in Administration - System.

While the advice that @ColinTaylor suggests will disable JFFS support, it won't undo any changes scripts may have made to the other router options.

Simply 'safely removing' the USB drive, turning off the 'Enable' check box for JFFS, and rebooting the router may disable all scripts, depending on what was actually running, that may not be enough.

A full reset and a clean installation from scratch is the only way I would remove the amtm + Entware + swap file + script support for my customers if I want to ensure they are 100% stable.

On your own router, you may instead simply monitor the router/network and only need to do that if any obvious issues arise.

Just because it may work for a specific user/network configuration, it doesn't mean the configuration will be 100% back to stock either.

Reactions: L81
I currently use a USB2 flash drive for the swap file and was wondering if performance would improve with a USB3 one?

If so, if I install the new flash drive, format it per instructions, would I loose my over 700 self generated YT block list or anything else?

I am on Asus AC68U, use Diversion along with Unidivstats and Unbound manager.
Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!