What's new

About Coaxial network and Moca adapters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

linkinp

New Around Here
Greetings!

I intend to purchase Moca adapter kit. I have RG-6, 76 Ohm coax cable running to 5 rooms in my house. The house is 2-story. All of the coax cable placed at the second floor (They are outdoor), then running to each room and there is a coax jack/port on the wall of each room. Keep in mind in my country, we use fiber cable and it might be pretty different from the USA. We don’t use coax cable for ISP. Moreover, I think the coax cable of each room doesn't relate, connect to each other since there is no splitter. Just simply 5 coax cables outdoors run directly to each room. The router is on the first floor, in the living room and not near any coax line. However, I'm gonna try to run a ethernet cable from the router to 1 of the 5 coaxial room. I would like to ask several questions:
1/ Can I use my coax cable for ethernet with Moca adapters? Usually which brand is the best overall: Screenbeam, Actiontec, TrendNet, GoCoax, Motorola...?
2/ In addition, I wonder that there are various speed of the Moca adapter (e.g 250 Mbps, 1 Gbps, 2 Gbps) but there is only 1 type of coax cable at my house. Then what is the maximum bandwidth my coax can get? Since we know for instance the maximum of Cat 5 is 100 Mbps, of cat 5e is 1000 Mbps. I have no clue about the internet speed my RG-6 75 Ohm cable
3/ If I can use, Do I need splitter, which kind of splitter is that? I have seen several youtube videos about Moca, some video mentioned that we need splitter, other claimed that we don't need. Really confusing.
4/ I have totally 5 coax lines, then if I want internet each room, How and What should I setup? As I imagine, If I have 5 coax lines, when using the splitter, I might plug one end of the 5 lines to the splitter with 5 input jacks/ports, from output of the splitter to the 1st Moca, the other end to the 2nd Moca each room. Will that work? Which kind of splitter for totaly 5 coaxial lines?
Thanks and best wishes

Last edited:
Greetings!

I intend to purchase Moca adapter kit. I have RG-6, 76 Ohm coax cable running to 5 rooms in my house. The house is 2-story. All of the coax cable placed at the second floor (They are outdoor), then running to each room and there is a coax jack/port on the wall of each room. Keep in mind in my country, we use fiber cable and it might be pretty different from the USA. We don’t use coax cable for ISP. Moreover, I think the coax cable of each room doesn't relate, connect to each other since there is no splitter. Just simply 5 coax cables outdoors run directly to each room. The router is on the first floor, in the living room and not near any coax line. However, I'm gonna try to run a ethernet cable from the router to 1 of the 5 coaxial room. I would like to ask several questions:
1/ Can I use my coax cable for ethernet with Moca adapters? Usually which brand is the best overall: Screenbeam, Actiontec, TrendNet, GoCoax, Motorola...?
yes, but you will need to connect all to a splitter that is moca 2 rated, outdoor rated connectors ( may have already on coax), and install a moca poe filter on the inlet port of the splitter if it is not designed with one. Look at Antronix as a good brand. Make sure the coax and splitter are in a weather proof box and not exposed to the weather. MOCA splitters should be rated 5-1675 MHz. Do not use satellite (eg. Direct TV) rated or ordinary TV splitters.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PRYWD81/?tag=snbforums-20

2/ In addition, I wonder that there are various speed of the Moca adapter (e.g 250 Mbps, 1 Gbps, 2 Gbps) but there is only 1 type of coax cable at my house. Then what is the maximum bandwidth my coax can get? Since we know for instance the maximum of Cat 5 is 100 Mbps, of cat 5e is 1000 Mbps. I have no clue about the internet speed my RG-6 75 Ohm cable
If you have to use a single coax to reach your internal router and then go back out on that same coax to other devices, you will only have half of the rated usable bandwidth. So i would suggest using MOCA 2.5 modems for all of your connections. GoCoax has a good history here, but there are others. That way you should be able to reach gigabit speeds assuming the cable and connectors are in good condition.
3/ If I can use, Do I need splitter, which kind of splitter is that? I have seen several youtube videos about Moca, some video mentioned that we need splitter, other claimed that we don't need. Really confusing.
at the head end where all of the internal coax cables terminate, you will need the splitter with a moca port for each cable. Do not buy a splitter with more ports than the number of cables you need to connect to. See question 1. Since you have 5 cables, a 5 outlet port moca2. rated splitter would be ideal. You may have to buy a 6 or 8 port and place 75 ohm caps on the unused ports. See #1
4/ I have totally 5 coax lines, then if I want internet each room, How and What should I setup? As I imagine, If I have 5 coax lines, when using the splitter, I might plug one end of the 5 lines to the splitter with 5 input jacks/ports, from output of the splitter to the 1st Moca, the other end to the 2nd Moca each room. Will that work? Which kind of splitter for totaly 5 coaxial lines?
There are two ways to do this. Option 1 is a star layout with a pair of moca modems on each cable. ie 1 at the head end and 1 at the room for each. You will also need a 8 port gigbit unmanaged ethernet switch. This requires all the equipment be inside the house.
Option 2 is to use a 6 port moca 2 rated splitter at the head end with a moca poe filter on the intlet port. This only requires a weatherproof box at the head in outside.

unless you can move everything inside for option 1, you will have to use option 2.

If there is an unused coax cable from the external ISP or cable TV supplier, do not connect to it.
Thanks and best wishes

yes, but you will need to connect all to a splitter that is moca 2 rated, outdoor rated connectors ( may have already on coax), and install a moca poe filter on the inlet port of the splitter if it is not designed with one. Look at Antronix as a good brand. Make sure the coax and splitter are in a weather proof box and not exposed to the weather. MOCA splitters should be rated 5-1675 MHz. Do not use satellite (eg. Direct TV) rated or ordinary TV splitters.

If you have to use a single coax to reach your internal router and then go back out on that same coax to other devices, you will only have half of the rated usable bandwidth. So i would suggest using MOCA 2.5 modems for all of your connections. GoCoax has a good history here, but there are others. That way you should be able to reach gigabit speeds assuming the cable and connectors are in good condition.

at the head end where all of the internal coax cables terminate, you will need the splitter with a moca port for each cable. Do not buy a splitter with more ports than the number of cables you need to connect to. See question 1. Since you have 5 cables, a 5 outlet port moca2. rated splitter would be ideal. You may have to buy a 6 or 8 port and place 75 ohm caps on the unused ports. See #1

There are two ways to do this. Option 1 is a star layout with a pair of moca modems on each cable. ie 1 at the head end and 1 at the room for each. You will also need a 8 port gigbit unmanaged ethernet switch. This requires all the equipment be inside the house.
Option 2 is to use a 6 port moca 2 rated splitter at the head end with a moca poe filter on the intlet port. This only requires a weatherproof box at the head in outside.

unless you can move everything inside for option 1, you will have to use option 2.

If there is an unused coax cable from the external ISP or cable TV supplier, do not connect to it.
Thank you. But we need Moca 2.5, then why the splitter is not 2.5 instead of that Moca 2.0 Antronix on Amazon?

Could you please tell me why should we use "terminator cap for unused ports"? What if we don't use?
thanks

To stop signal reflections/bouncing. And give you a better, more stable connection, in return.

Use 75 ohm terminator caps on your unused ports - they're cheap insurance for better signal...

That’s an embarrassing page for ScreenBeam. MoCA splitter requirements are that they be “MoCa compliant”? “Coax ports are -3.5 d”?

Basic requirements are[1]:
* Low insertion loss at MoCA frequencies
* Low port to port isolation at MoCA frequencies

But attenuation needs to be assessed at MoCA frequencies when calculating the node-to-node losses, and measured against the 57 dB loss limit.

- - -
[1] phrasing lifted from pg 13 of this presentation; the whole thing’s worth a read.

Last edited:
What about using Powerline adapter such as TP-Link "TL-PA7017 KIT" (Homeplug AV2)? I used to have the TL-PA2010KIT (Homeplug AV) and I must say that the speed is only 1/3 of my internet speed. I don't know if the newer powerline generation/model would increase, improve the speed I get.
Thanks

PLAs are a gimmick if you are looking for wire speeds, low latency, or reliability/consistency in your network (for most people).

Wire it up properly (Ethernet Cat5e or better) if you can (best).

A close second is using a router in Media Bridge mode (if a wire cannot be run).

Hi, are you still there? Thank you so much for your dedication and help
I'm now feeling pretty confused and depressed. I would like to send a picture to be more precise and clearer. Some technician, in my country, advised and told me that: "there is no way to use a coax splitter as ethernet switch like that, since coax splitter is completly different from ethernet switch. the Ethernet over coax adapter is something as "point to point", it can't split the ethernet signal for every room with Moca adapter. As a result, If the house has 5 room and we want internet for every room, then there need to be 10 Moca adapters (5 kits). Splitter is useless in my case"

Attachments

• Coax and Moca.jpg
    Coax and Moca.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 68
That’s an embarrassing page for ScreenBeam. MoCA splitter requirements are that they be “MoCa compliant”? “Coax ports are -3.5 d”?

Basic requirements are[1]:
* Low insertion loss at MoCA frequencies
* Low port to port isolation at MoCA frequencies

But attenuation needs to be assessed at MoCA frequencies when calculating the node-to-node losses, and measured against the 57 dB loss limit.

- - -
[1] phrasing lifted from pg 13 of this presentation; the whole thing’s worth a read.
Thank you, you da boss

Greetings!

I intend to purchase Moca adapter kit. I have RG-6, 76 Ohm coax cable running to 5 rooms in my house.

If you want to try using MoCA to extend your LAN over coax, buy a pair of MoCA adapters and experiment. I went with Screenbeam.

The house is 2-story. All of the coax cable placed at the second floor (They are outdoor), then running to each room and there is a coax jack/port on the wall of each room.

Decide the layout/plan for your wired and wireless networks and only extend your LAN over MoCA to where the wired LAN is needed.

Ideally, keep your LAN coax separate from your WAN coax to avoid cable ISP and MoCA signaling/frequency conflicts.

Yes
router/AP <Ethernet> MoCA adapter <coax> MoCA adapter <Ethernet> remote AP

2/ In addition, I wonder that there are various speed of the Moca adapter (e.g 250 Mbps, 1 Gbps, 2 Gbps) but there is only 1 type of coax cable at my house.

Current is MoCA 2.5... latest adapters have 2.5GbE ports. Your RG59/RG6 coax will work, if it is healthy (coax has a minimum bend radius to avoid crushing/destroying the signal path) and has no non-MoCA splitters in the coax path.

MoCA Home™ Technology (mocalliance.org)

Then what is the maximum bandwidth my coax can get?

If you really want to know this, you will have to study the specs for the specific cable. Don't bother... MoCA 2.5 (~2.5Gbps) is the standard and it works on the cables mentioned, subject to distance and condition of cabling/interconnects.

MoCA rated splitter... MoCA compliant, bi-directional, 5-1675Mhz 6kV, coax ports are -3.5dB (2-way splitter)(beware ports on 3+-way splitters have greater insertion loss, 7dB).

Adding interconnects adds insertion loss which reduces signal strength. You will want to minimize insertion loss... keep the coax segments simple and not wired through a bunch of lesser TV splitters that do not handle MoCA signaling and which can increase insertion loss and defeat MoCA signaling.

Plan this after you learn how to use MoCA to extend your LAN... keep it simple... less is better.

OE

Last edited:
Some technician, in my country, advised and told me that: "there is no way to use a coax splitter as ethernet switch like that, since coax splitter is completly different from ethernet switch. the Ethernet over coax adapter is something as "point to point", it can't split the ethernet signal for every room with Moca adapter.
I can't speak to whatever technology that technician may have been referring, but MoCA can be used in dedicated pairs over a coax line, or in a mesh of up to 16 nodes, with additional 16-node mesh networks added as needed, so long as their coax segments are isolated. It's in the spec. Also demonstrated in the MoCA Installation Best Practices document, in section 3.7.2 (pg. 19).

Your approach would work fine.

Example:
plan.png
Example splitter: Antronix MMC1006H-B 6-way
To be clear, the above "MoCA 2.5 access point + clients" topology has a maximum throughput of 2000 Mbps shared among all the various connections. A dedicated pairs setup *would* have greater total throughput, but at greater expense and complexity (including having to solve installing and powering 5 MoCA adapters and a network switch outdoors).

Last edited:
MoCA 2.5 (~2.5Gbps full-duplex)
MoCA is half duplex in all cases, a shared medium ... more like an Ethernet hub, rather than a switch. The throughput is shared by all connections, and each direction for each connection.

As for throughput rates, MoCA 2.x offers 400 Mbps per channel, with a 25% performance boost for 2-node-only (aka "TURBO") setups.

So...
  • standard (unbonded) MoCA 2.0 == 400 Mbps (500 Mbps 2-node-only)
  • bonded MoCA 2.0 (2x channels) == 800 Mbps (1000 Mbps 2-node-only)
  • MoCA 2.5 (5x channels) == 2000 Mbps (2500 Mbps 2-node-only)
Dedicated pairs of MoCA adapters for each coax line can net greater throughput, but with greater complexity and cost.

"Dedicated pairs of MoCA adapters for each coax line can net greater throughput, but with greater complexity and cost."

i run a MOCA 2, bonded pairs, as a star off of a gigabit switch. i have 6 pairs, one to each room. Uplink from the switch is gigabit ethernet to the router LAN port through to the ISP router WAN port. i use MOCA 2.5 to go from the ISP router WAN port to the ONT to ensure full gigabit bandwidth up/down to the gigbit fiber. From any point on my network i get nominal bonded MOCA2 bandwidth (~730 Mbit/s). From my router to the internet i get nominal gigabit speeds (940 Mbit/s).

The price you pay with MOCA is a few msec of lag for each pair. So in the above , it adds about 4-5 msec lag. Some gamers can be sensitive to this if there is significant lag to the internet server for the game. Across my lan, no issue.

The thing about MoCA is that we're glad to have it wired at any rate! :)

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!