What's new

AC 2ND GENERATION 2017 MU-MIMO BEST ROUTER

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ulaganath

Very Senior Member
Hi Guys.

I was using r7000 for a while and now planning to upgrade to R7800.

I currently have upto 20 clients which 2 clients can stream upto 4k videos. Rest all 1080p.

My current ISP speed 100Mbps down and 8Mbps up.

Currently the speed is ok but when 4k streaming i cant do much in terms of download or other 1080p streaming. Either consumes more internet. so 4k stucks or fails in between.

I heard good about r7800 from Netgear and AC 3200/3100 from Asus. But Ac3100 is out of scope due high cost.

Asus Ac3200 is good but only have 256MB ram when compared to netgear and not sure its full fledged MU-Mimo.

Please let me know your inputs on this.

You need to look towards professional routers and switches , ap's like ubiquiti

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

But AP's are way beyond my budget and wont have the features of router's features.

I liked Asus but the wireless reliability is big ?????. Even though custom vortex firmware is pushing the stability but a big no

I loved Netgear r7000 and wondering this r7800 would do me the same feel in a big leap jump.

its is the fastest process of the series. May be it wont be used for 4x4 or mu-mimo. But it should be able to handle any no of request.

This is one of the best example of su- mu mimo mix test on MU-mimo router effectiveness.

I loved Netgear r7000 and wondering this r7800 would do me the same feel in a big leap jump.
Definitely! The R7800 is amongst the cream of the crop when its comes to consumer routers and you should notice a significantly better experience versus the R7000. The R7000 was great in its heyday but is outdated now. I have the R9000 which has similar internals (wrt 2.4 & 5ghz radios) to the R7800 and couldn't be happier :)

I gone with R7800. I have to leave r7000 with tear's. It one of the sweatest of all my netgear router's. Still the best.

Coming to R7800 i heard it has good coverage than R7000 is that because of quad stream or just more powerfull setup all together.

My only concern is netgear UI is still slowest of all the firmwares i have tried. i dont why it is so slow. As the flash memory is 128MB but hardly 30MB of firmware we are flashing. I still dont understand why its so slow in loading between pages. As everything can be loaded into ram and nothing is hardcored or any moving parts to retrieve. Everything is in cache either ram or nvram.

I would say both xvortex and tomato by shibby with advance ui 3.0 had gone and used the full potential of this hardware. non of the UI from netgear worked flawlessly. Thought it was just used to run the hardware but non in any way effective manner.

And with Qualcom i am stuck with netgear for ever. I cant switch to any open source. Fastest router with limited opensource option.

So far only voxel had comeup with some good tweaking to the orginal firmware.

When did this came out.

R7000P

it was in another thread for DD-wrt. it says this is capable of MU-MIMO.

Last edited:
When did this came out.

R7000P

it was in another thread for DD-wrt. it says this is capable of MU-MIMO.
Its been out a while (December I think but I may be wrong), the R7800 should be a better unit, the Qualcomm chipset and runs cooler and is much faster, the R7000p is still 1Ghz with 128 MB flash and 256 MB RAM. As far as the UI mine is fast enough on the R7800, I don't spend that much time in the router, once the QoS is set up I rarely visit it. I would stop worrying about R7000p/R7800 and stick with the R7800 is a great router and for me streams 4K HDR wirelessly to my Sony XE93 just fine. I think the Qualcomm chipset is superior and its been my favourite router, even more so than the R7000. Use Voxels firmware and all is good. :) Also there are still not that many Mu-Mimo clients around to have that as the deciding factor on buying a router really.

Last edited:
What kind of ISP speed you have. Do you get close to 99% of the rated speed. I still see these current gen routers falls below 90% of 1gbps speed say 800-850Mbps is the max they were able to achieve. But R7000 was one the best in class in its range to reach whooping 946Mbps on WAN-Lan transfer .

What kind of ISP speed you have. Do you get close to 99% of the rated speed. I still see these current gen routers falls below 90% of 1gbps speed say 800-850Mbps is the max they were able to achieve. But R7000 was one the best in class in its range to reach whooping 946Mbps on WAN-Lan transfer .
Alas I cannot speak for speeds like that as I don't have pure fibre only FTTC but from the review here the R7800 got very good wan-lan from what I remember. The R7000 is an amazing router but for me the R7800 gives me better wifi coverage and I really like its streamboost engine, also the Qualcomm Mu-Mimo was baked in, not sure what its like with Broadcom chipsets, maybe someone else could chime in on that, as Broadcom where somewhat behind, but things may have changed.

I have a pure ftth fiber connection. My r7000 easily reach full throtle. hope i get the same with r7800 as well. Plus the range you say might be a added bonus.

I do use a AP . Which i can now re-position if required.

Not worth it being manufacture refurbished

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

not a sure shot. Linkys are prone to fail and wont work equally well like Netgear refurbished.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!