What's new

AC-3100 with Merlin // How to remove Bell Home Hub 2000 and VLAN35 tagging ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpykeYs

Occasional Visitor
Hi :)

I am with Bell Fibe via a Home Hub 2000. My current setup is ONT - HH2000 - Asus AC3100.

I am being told there is a way to get rid of the HH2000 and do the PPPOE session directly on the Asus AC3100. But in order to remove the HH2000, I need to do some VLAN 35 tagging on the WAN interface.

Can anyone please guide me with the configs ?

Hi :)

I am with Bell Fibe via a Home Hub 2000. My current setup is ONT - HH2000 - Asus AC3100.

I am being told there is a way to get rid of the HH2000 and do the PPPOE session directly on the Asus AC3100. But in order to remove the HH2000, I need to do some VLAN 35 tagging on the WAN interface.

Can anyone please guide me with the configs ?

I can help you with that, prior to starting just wanted to make sure you have both b1 id and password ready and written down separately.

I assume you know cabling part, will not go there but will do pppoe and vlan, under wan section of asus router choose connection type pppoe and enter user name and password given by bell, they are case sensitive, under lan tab and click on IPTV section choose isp profile manual and for internet type 35 and leave second one empty. Once this is done router will reboot and within few minutes you will have public ip from bell.

It is normal in some cases to take up to 10 minutes for bell to assign ip address, especially after reboot, nothing to worry about though.

Screenshot_20201104-102204_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
I can help you with that, prior to starting just wanted to make sure you have both b1 id and password ready and written down separately.

I assume you know cabling part, will not go there but will do pppoe and vlan, under wan section of asus router choose connection type pppoe and enter user name and password given by bell, they are case sensitive, under lan tab and click on IPTV section choose isp profile manual and for internet type 35 and leave second one empty. Once this is done router will reboot and within few minutes you will have public ip from bell.

It is normal in some cases to take up to 10 minutes for bell to assign ip address, especially after reboot, nothing to worry about though.

View attachment 27428

Thank you so much !! It's working perfectly!!

Good morning !

I have a very strange issue and I do not know how to resolve it. My setup is as described above. Basically I removed the HH2000 and my Asus router is connected directly to my ONT. I did configure PPPoE on my router and tagged VLAN 35 to my LAN interface. This is working (somewhat) as it should.

Now for the weird issue…. All Microsoft website AND services such as Teams for example are unable to connect on 1 laptop (Microsoft services can be accessed on all other devices iPhone, Desktop, etc.… I went as far as re-installed windows as the laptop was due for a full cleanup but even this did not fix the issue. I spent many hours on the router and decided to factory reset my router and still same issue...

I added back the home hub 2000 into the loop (ONT - HOME HUB 2000 - ROUTER) and this has solved the issue. The Microsoft services as yet working again on my laptop…

I would much prefer to remove the Home Hub 2000 but why removing it is preventing all Microsoft services on 1 specific laptop which has a clean windows image and clean router configuration ? I'm very lost at this point.

Thank you for your time :)

After you factory reset the router (and how?), what steps did you do to re-configure it again?

Hello L&LD,

Thank you for your assistance.

I did a factory reset by pushing the button on the back of the router, then installed the latest ASUS (non-merlin) firmware (i'm not planing to leave Merlin but this was for testing purposes) and did reset using the button on the back again. As for configuration, I have only done the basic configuration for wifi and (PPPoE). I also tagged VLAN35 to my lan in order to remove the Home Hub 2000 and I am still having the issue with the Microsoft websites. As soon as I add the Home Hub 2000 back (and leave configuration as is on the Asus with the exception of VLAN 35 tagging) things go back to normal. PPPoE (on asus) or getting DHCP IP from HomeHub 2000 works as equally.

I can't help with your questions directly, but I can comment on the following.

A reset by using the reset button, may or may not work properly/fully. Even by Asus' own admissions. :)

Try the following if you wish to see if anything improves.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Test at each step afterward to see exactly when/where the issue occurs again, after making a single change to the router, rebooting and testing again before the next change.

I can't help with your questions directly, but I can comment on the following.

A reset by using the reset button, may or may not work properly/fully. Even by Asus' own admissions. :)

Try the following if you wish to see if anything improves.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Test at each step afterward to see exactly when/where the issue occurs again, after making a single change to the router, rebooting and testing again before the next change.

Thank you so much ! I followed your steps and re-uploaded the latest Merlin firmware and I am back to being directly connected to the ONT without the HomeHub 2000 and I am no longer experiencing the issue where all microsoft websites we're being blocked on one of my devices. This is was a strange issue but I am glad it is now fixed.

Thank you again !!

Glad it worked so straightforward for you. :)

The issue came back within hours after trying the hard reset fix suggested by L&LD and I just decided to plug back the HomeHub2000 between the ONT and Asus AC-3100 and this obviously resolved my issues... After many months (+14 months) I decided to upgrade my Asus AC-3100 to the latest merlin firmware (386 3_2) AND I performed a hard reset.

I removed my HomeHub 2000 and connected my Bell ONT directly in the WAN port of the AC-3100. I proceeded with tagging VLAN 3 to internet and everything works perfectly on all of my devices (with the exception of one laptop.....)

On this Dell XPS 13 laptop (freshly re-imaged with the OEM Windows 10 image (NOT DELL) I still have the same problem... Everything works with the exception of most Microsoft services (websites, onedrive, hotmail, etc.) + some services like Zoom... This is the weirdest issue I have ever faced.

If I connect my XPS 13 laptop to my Cellular HotSpot for example, all windows services works again... So definitely an issue with my ONT - AC-3100 setup.

How can I troubleshoot it ?

Any help is greatly appreciated as this one is driving me nuts.

My issue is finally fixed !!

Cultpit was the "Killer WiFi" on the Dell XPS-13. The option "Killer Prioritization Engine" was turned on. I tried turning it off and immediately all websites that were blocked suddenly started working again.

I can finally put my HomeHub2000 to rest :)

Thanks again

Cultpit was the "Killer WiFi" on the Dell XPS-13. The option "Killer Prioritization Engine" was turned on. I tried turning it off and immediately all websites that were blocked suddenly started working again.

Thanks again
Were your killer drivers up to date? I had issues until I updated mine.

latest update was 2 weeks ago

Thanks again
quick question, You completely remove your HH2000 ? Do you have FTTH ?
I would like to insatll a TP-link converter to fibre to ethernet with my Asus ac2900 with Merlin firmware

Sounds like the OP had an ONT port from Bell. If your fibre is connected directly to your Hub2000 via an SFP port, you can use a media converter (as long as your hub is a 2000/3000) so long as you use the the SFP connector that is on the Bell equipment. Bell's SFP connector is encoded to their network. If you change it, nothing will work.

In recent times I have heard that Bell is now monitoring for the absence of their HUB and, when detected, Bell is throttling speeds as a penalty. But that is only hear say through the gossip tree. The Hub4000 does not use an SFP port and makes things harder.

I'm on bell. Never heard about throttling. Not mentioned on DSL forums as I can see.

If you want to bypass the HH3000. Check this thread:

If you want to bypass the HH2000:

Just a quick speedtest I did now:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/12737639199.png

Edit : typo

Last edited: