What's new

AC 86u and Shield TV Pro - Wifi Drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

explorer200

Occasional Visitor
My Nvidia Shield TV drops connection to my local Plex server randomly on 5ghz. No issues when wired, but I can't leave this ethernet cable along the floor and I can drill holes because it's a 4 month rental.
It's the latest firmware, and the router has a clear line of sight to the Shield TV. Everything else just works

Are there specific settings that work best for the shield tv pro?

I'm getting "excellent connection"

Last edited:
Full bars is signal strength, not quality of connection/reliability of configuration. I try to do as much over copper as possible to avoid wireless issues.
you could always run ethernet behind baseboards - they're easy enough to pull and reinstall with little visual evidence ;-D

Is there a firmware update available for the router? those could include updates to the wireless radios.
same question for the Shield...

Have you factory reset both router and shield?
it could also be something small in the wifi or server config preventing smooth data xfer.

Full bars is signal strength, not quality of connection/reliability of configuration. I try to do as much over copper as possible to avoid wireless issues.
you could always run ethernet behind baseboards - they're easy enough to pull and reinstall with little visual evidence ;-D

Is there a firmware update available for the router? those could include updates to the wireless radios.
same question for the Shield...

Have you factory reset both router and shield?
it could also be something small in the wifi or server config preventing smooth data xfer.
Can't do copper wire
Latest firmware on everything in the house
Did factory reset a month ago

AC86u has wifi radar (on Merlin...not sure about asus factory) - are toes getting stepped on locally?

I'm not running Merlin but it's a crowded wifi space (townhouse development). I've tried different channels with no luck
without the scan, youre throwing granades without a target - you don't know where the holes are in the spectrum that you could use with less interference.
GUI > Advanced Settings > Wireless > last tab WiFi Radar?
check both 2.4 and 5GHz especially if you're using SmartConnect

Thanks but can you point to something Merlin offers that would fix this issue?
WiFi Radar if it's not included in Asus Factory firmware.
If that proves efffective and helps solve a problem, Then we can get into diversion/unbound/skynet/ntpMerlin if you find the solution there...these may be consumer/SOHO routers, but with a little tweaking you can end up with commercial-grade internet service/network at your home.

WiFi Radar if it's not included in Asus Factory firmware.
If that proves efffective and helps solve a problem, Then we can get into diversion/unbound/skynet/ntpMerlin if you find the solution there...these may be consumer/SOHO routers, but with a little tweaking you can end up with commercial-grade internet service/network at your home.
Thanks
I've used wifi scanning on my phone and determined the best ones

it will take 5 minutes to put RMerlin to your router - menu looks the same with same changes that fix some of the known issues and limitations. You just install it as firmware update directly from GUI.
no1 know what exactly is wrong in your setup but maybe with RMerlin it will be OK or above fix for nvidia will work. Even if not you will have better router. For me to have such powerful router and do not use RMerlin is a mortal sin :)

wi-fi scan on cell is not the same - you will find the best channel for cell not router :(

Thanks
I've used wifi scanning on my phone and determined the best ones
was your phone positioned within a few feet of your router? If not, your phone is not seeing what your router has to compete with, what it has to transmit through and receive from.
The point is to build your own wifi bubble so that nothing in your home has an issue with YOUR wifi. you can't do that if somebody is already using the real estate you are trying to occupy.
while I respect your choice to use factory firmware, if that's out of fear of the unknown, rest assured the Merlin community is very helpful: I was in your shoes once and they have helped me along, mostly by making it very VERY easy to switch and get help if a problem should arise.

Last edited:
RMerlin with amtm and scribe can provide extended info about logs for example. With limited info you provided is very hard to advice.

I you probably aren't wanting to spend $ for this short stint rental, but you could use the house wiring with Powerline Ethernet.

Yes it was.
I also checked from multiple rooms.
you never told us whether you're using smart connect or not - could it be that the shield is switching from 2.4 to 5GHz radios based on signal strength, causing it to lose connection for a moment?
give running without it a shot, specifically naming the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks differently and see what happens. I'd be willing to wager that the issue is on the 2.4, seeing as there are so few channels in that band.

By the way the Shield PRO has an option to lock it to the desired frequency band 5Ghz / 2.4Ghz and another one to enable or disable roaming scans. Have you set them appropriately?