What's new

AC 86u and Shield TV Pro - Wifi Drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

you never told us whether you're using smart connect or not - could it be that the shield is switching from 2.4 to 5GHz radios based on signal strength, causing it to lose connection for a moment?
give running without it a shot, specifically naming the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks differently and see what happens. I'd be willing to wager that the issue is on the 2.4, seeing as there are so few channels in that band.
I've tried with and without smart connect. It makes no difference. My Shield has always been set to 5ghz

it will take 5 minutes to put RMerlin to your router - menu looks the same with same changes that fix some of the known issues and limitations. You just install it as firmware update directly from GUI.
no1 know what exactly is wrong in your setup but maybe with RMerlin it will be OK or above fix for nvidia will work. Even if not you will have better router. For me to have such powerful router and do not use RMerlin is a mortal sin :)

wi-fi scan on cell is not the same - you will find the best channel for cell not router :(

This is what RMerlin scans on the 5ghz:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-25 091913.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-25 091913.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 120
I never told it is about wi-fi signal but what you can check is:
set channel to 116 for example and check for 80, 40, 20MHz band - same TV do not work good with 80 for example. Be sure that Authentication Method is WPA2-Personal and WPA encryption is AES. Do not on Optimized for Xbox.

I asked for RMerlin to add amtm and scribe and check in logs if something popup when you are loosing connection.

I never told it is about wi-fi signal but what you can check is:
set channel to 116 for example and check for 80, 40, 20MHz band - same TV do not work good with 80 for example. Be sure that Authentication Method is WPA2-Personal and WPA encryption is AES. Do not on Optimized for Xbox.

I asked for RMerlin to add amtm and scribe and check in logs if something popup when you are loosing connection.

It's not a TV

Yea I've done all that years ago

did you install scribe via amtm?
do you see anything in logs? how we can try to help if you did not provided logs even

I didn't install scribe

these are the logs I recorded right after the most recent "event"

Jun 29 22:12:05 roamast: ROAMING Start...
Jun 29 22:12:08 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): wl0.1: Auth AC:D5:64:49:E0:25, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:12:08 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(537): wl0.1: ReAssoc AC:D5:64:49:E0:25, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:12:23 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth5: Deauth_ind 82:0C:9B:97:0B:05, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:12:23 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth6: Auth 82:0C:9B:97:0B:05, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:12:23 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(537): eth6: ReAssoc 82:0C:9B:97:0B:05, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:12:23 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(508): eth5: Disassoc 82:0C:9B:97:0B:05, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:12:24 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth6: Auth D4:F5:47:36:27:75, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:12:24 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth6: Assoc D4:F5:47:36:27:75, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:16:34 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth5: Deauth_ind 04:ED:33:C6:D1:EE, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:16:34 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(508): eth5: Disassoc 04:ED:33:C6:D1:EE, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:17:24 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth6: Auth 00:04:4B:EC:CA:29, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:17:24 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth6: Assoc 00:04:4B:EC:CA:29, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:22:29 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Auth 04:ED:33:C6:D1:EE, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:22:29 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(537): eth5: ReAssoc 04:ED:33:C6:D1:EE, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 29 22:22:29 kernel: 04:ED:33:C6:D1:EE not mesh client, can't update it's ip

yes, there was to back with software to 384.13_0 and check then - info about it was provided by more than 1 person. It was confirmed this info

you need to understood that issue you have is very specific and as no1 is giving you strait answer people do not have it - you need to do most work here

if going back to old soft will help I do not know but very strange issues happen with latest ones for same people like even router reboot when they connect laptop via wi-fi (is OK with android phone connecting), they need to reboot router ones a day etc.
In the past Asus soft was for me rock solid but now looks like $ are the most important new model every few weeks/months soft you can call Beta and all the time something is wrong.

yes, there was to back with software to 384.13_0 and check then - info about it was provided by more than 1 person. It was confirmed this info

you need to understood that issue you have is very specific and as no1 is giving you strait answer people do not have it - you need to do most work here

if going back to old soft will help I do not know but very strange issues happen with latest ones for same people like even router reboot when they connect laptop via wi-fi (is OK with android phone connecting), they need to reboot router ones a day etc.
In the past Asus soft was for me rock solid but now looks like $ are the most important new model every few weeks/months soft you can call Beta and all the time something is wrong.
I'm on Merlin now. Everybody was harping on me to get Merlin. It didn't fix anything. I've tried earlier versions. They didn't fix anything

Fully reset your network/router. Do not use any saved backup config files. Do not 'blindly' use any old settings, features or scripts.

If your issues persist, that points to hardware failure. Either the router or the shield.

Fully reset your network/router. Do not use any saved backup config files. Do not 'blindly' use any old settings, features or scripts.

If your issues persist, that points to hardware failure. Either the router or the shield.
Thanks

It's two separate Shield TV's, but I hear from posts online that they have wifi problems.

Buggy clients are not allowed on my network.

I have the same problem and described it here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/464364/kodi-smb-freezes-over-wifi/
You can find some mote threads on Nvidia forum and Kodi forum (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=350558).

It is very strange thing because the problem is only on Shield 2019 and mostly on Asus devices. I had read that Shield 2019 uses different SMB implementations. Is there any chance that authors of Asus Merlin could help with that? I could provide some logs and tests.

Last edited: