What's new

AC-88U 384.10_2 CPU usage discrepancies

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyph

Occasional Visitor
I have a question regarding the CPU usage. In the Merlin GUI, it shows the CPU as pegging at 98-99% constantly. However, using top command from SSH, CPU is pegged at 50-55%.

I also noticed that when I reboot the router, the GUI will show CPU usage between 50-80%. However, after a day it's always showing 95%+ constantly. However, top tells a different story. Bug or working as intended?

Look at the top (...) of the top output. Some CPU usage comes from sirq, I/O, etc...

Look at the top (...) of the top output. Some CPU usage comes from sirq, I/O, etc...
tmp.png

Using H to switch between CPU's they are all in the 50% range.

Also, here is the CPU usage when it first start up:
Screen-Shot-2019-04-26-at-3-36-54-PM.png

After about a day, the CPU is constantly pegged at 98%.

Also this is the temperature with the CPU not pegged at max:
Screen-Shot-2019-04-26-at-3-40-04-PM.png

Once CPU is pegged at 98%, the temperature jumps to 184 F constant.

This is the top CPU usage when router first start up. It appears to be about 50% of what the ASUS GUI reports:
Screen-Shot-2019-04-26-at-3-46-16-PM.png

This is the top CPU usage when router first start up. It appears to be about 50% of what the ASUS GUI reports:
Screen-Shot-2019-04-26-at-3-46-16-PM.png

No, the webui is accurate. 36% of one core + 70% of a second core roughly equals 50% of TWO cores.

36/100 + 70/100 = 106/200

I have a question regarding the CPU usage. In the Merlin GUI, it shows the CPU as pegging at 98-99% constantly. However, using top command from SSH, CPU is pegged at 50-55%.

I also noticed that when I reboot the router, the GUI will show CPU usage between 50-80%. However, after a day it's always showing 95%+ constantly. However, top tells a different story. Bug or working as intended?

Are you using WTFast? I tried it out for a few min when I first got my router, and noticed very heavy CPU usage while it was enabled. At least one core was pegged at 100% utilization while the others bounced all over the place at a min of ~50%. As soon as I disabled it everything went back to normal. I have the AX88U, and it was all four cores.

No, the webui is accurate. 36% of one core + 70% of a second core roughly equals 50% of TWO cores.

36/100 + 70/100 = 106/200
Screen-Shot-2019-04-26-at-7-12-24-PM.png

Three hours later, the CPU is ow pegged at 95-98% constant. After reboot, the CPU process goes up and down normally. I haven't enabled anything extra since reboot. Something is causing the CPU to go into overdrive after a few hours. Temperature is now at 192 F.

Edit: Also notice how the graph doesn't have any information before. It think the temperature just spiked when it didn't. After reboot the graph was normal.

Are you using WTFast? I tried it out for a few min when I first got my router, and noticed very heavy CPU usage while it was enabled. At least one core was pegged at 100% utilization while the others bounced all over the place at a min of ~50%. As soon as I disabled it everything went back to normal. I have the AX88U, and it was all four cores.

No I didn't enable that. I did enable AIProtection. I may disable that and see if it helps. What I don't understand is this only happens after a few hours. It's normal for the first few hours after reboot.

No I didn't enable that. I did enable AIProtection. I may disable that and see if it helps. What I don't understand is this only happens after a few hours. It's normal for the first few hours after reboot.

Ah OK. I thought it was worth a shot. I'm sorry that it didn't help you.

Good luck finding what is causing it. That would drive me crazy until I got it fixed.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-26-at-7-12-24-PM.png

Three hours later, the CPU is ow pegged at 95-98% constant. After reboot, the CPU process goes up and down normally. I haven't enabled anything extra since reboot. Something is causing the CPU to go into overdrive after a few hours. Temperature is now at 192 F.

Edit: Also notice how the graph doesn't have any information before. It think the temperature just spiked when it didn't. After reboot the graph was normal.

Well, I think I resolved the issue but I have no idea which of the changes fixed it.

I uninstalled spdMerlin and ntpMerlin NTP daemon. I can't say for sure that either caused it but it's 4 hours later and the CPU spike no longer occurs.

had this last week and had been happening anytime i put diversion on.

you have to start again.

format usb in ext 4 format.
then re format the jffs on next boot.

there is a thread lurking about about how to install amtm....

had this last week and had been happening anytime i put diversion on.

you have to start again.

format usb in ext 4 format.
then re format the jffs on next boot.

there is a thread lurking about about how to install amtm....

It's already in ext 4. You're saying I have to reformat jffs to get rid of this issue?

I've installed diversion via amtm.

There have been issues with Diversion trying to process the ash_history file if it's corrupted and consuming CPU. Since in your original screenshot there is a diversion script at the top of the list, I wonder if this is the same issue. If that top process has ash_history on the far right next time, try removing the offending file (rm /tmp/home/root/.ash_history).

Update. Ever since I turned of AI Protection and diversion, reboot, turned diversion back on, tested it, and then turned on AI Protection, everything is back to normal again.

Update. Ever since I turned of AI Protection and diversion, reboot, turned diversion back on, tested it, and then turned on AI Protection, everything is back to normal again.

Yes, likewise - thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!