What's new

AC1750 + AC3100 AiMesh + Lan Team?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BE23

New Around Here
I have a AC1750 B1 as the main router, and AC3100 as an AiMesh Node. Wondering if / how I can setup the LAN ports 1 and 2 on the AC3100 for Link Agg to my NAS (Synology 1500)? Or is it worth it to do so?

I have exactly this setup with my AC5300 Node and Synology NAS.

I run Merlin firmware on both the master and nodes, but it should work on stock f/w as well (pretty sure I did it on stock f/w before I ran Merlin).

I’m not sure on the port mappings on the 3100, I’d guess they are the same as the 88U, you’d have to have a look at robocfg and work it out.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/enabling-link-aggregation-via-nvram.48458/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be sure of the mappings, you could set the 3100 up as a router, enable link agg in the GUI and then do “nvram get lacpports” to see what port numbers you need to use.

I have exactly this setup with my AC5300 Node and Synology NAS.

I run Merlin firmware on both the master and nodes, but it should work on stock f/w as well (pretty sure I did it on stock f/w before I ran Merlin).

I’m not sure on the port mappings on the 3100, I’d guess they are the same as the 88U, you’d have to have a look at robocfg and work it out.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/enabling-link-aggregation-via-nvram.48458/

Yes, I think it's pretty simple to do on the AC3100 (by watching tutorials). I guess my question is - do you know how to login to just the ac3100 to configure this? When it's an AiMesh node, it seems you can't login to it like when it's not a node.

Yes, I think it's pretty simple to do on the AC3100 (by watching tutorials). I guess my question is - do you know how to login to just the ac3100 to configure this? When it's an AiMesh node, it seems you can't login to it like when it's not a node.

You have to enable SSH in the master, which then enables it on the node. Then SSH to the node and run the nvram commands in my linked post.

You have to enable SSH in the master, which then enables it on the node. Then SSH to the node and run the nvram commands in my linked post.

Thanks for the link! I'm a NOOB so I'm not sure what nvram is but sounds complicated lol

NVRAM is non volitile RAM, that is to say it remembers what is stored in it, even if you remove power (unlike normal RAM which requires power to keep its state/contents).
In the router it is used to store all of the config, so when you change stuff in the web GUI it updates some NVRAM values.
As there is no web GUI access on the node, we are just doing the NVRAM config updates manually via SSH.

Suggest first googling for a noobs guide to SSH.

Then checking the port assignments for the 3100 (or assume they are the same as the 88U if you’re feeling lucky).

Then giving it a go!

You’ll need to reboot the node after doing the NVRAM commit to make it apply the link agg.

Last edited:
NVRAM is non volitile RAM, that is to say it remembers what is stored in it, even if you remove power (unlike normal RAM which requires power to keep its state/contents).
In the router it is used to store all of the config, so when you change stuff in the web GUI it updates some NVRAM values.
As there is no web GUI access on the node, we are just doing the NVRAM config updates manually via SSH.

Suggest first googling for a noobs guide to SSH.

Then checking the port assignments for the 3100 (or assume they are the same as the 88U if you’re feeling lucky).

Then giving it a go!

You’ll need to reboot the node after doing the NVRAM commit to make it apply the link agg.

Thanks for the tips - I'll see what I can do!

I have a AC1750 B1 as the main router, and AC3100 as an AiMesh Node. Wondering if / how I can setup the LAN ports 1 and 2 on the AC3100 for Link Agg to my NAS (Synology 1500)? Or is it worth it to do so?
Shouldn't the AC3100 be your main AiMesh Router and the AC1750 be the Node? Then Link Agg the AC3100 to your NAS.

Shouldn't the AC3100 be your main AiMesh Router and the AC1750 be the Node? Then Link Agg the AC3100 to your NAS.

Ideally yes! But the AC1750 is in a closet away from main living space, so I'm using the AC3100 in the main living space for strength and speed. Also, the NAS has to be located in main area.

I was reading through my RT-AC3100 Manual, and it has Dual-WAN aggregation, but I don't see LAN port aggregation. Are you sure this is possible with the RT-AC3100?

Yes it does
It has the same feature set as the RT-AC88U minus the additional internal 4 port switch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!