1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AC3100 5GHz not working

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by totalnube, Jul 4, 2019.

1. totalnube

totalnube New Around Here

Hello, just a lurker around here and finally registered to ask if anyone has seen a similar issue.

I've had an ASUS AC3100 sitting unused in the box for 2 years! Finally got around to getting this up and running on DD-WRT.

It was running fine for about 3 weeks before the 5GHz Wifi seems to have quit working properly. Multiple wireless devices no longer will connect to the 5GHz AP, when the 2GHz AP works well.

I have tried the following.
    1. used telnet to erase nvram and rebooted (same issue with 5GHz)
    2. updated to DD-WRT v3.0-r40167 std (06/30/19) (same issue with 5GHz)
    I figured I'd try Merlin firmware, however, I cannot get it to install at all.
    • used DD-WRT GUI Firmware Upgrade page to flash Merlin firmware with .bin as the filename extension (boots back into DD-WRT)
    • used Recovery Mode web GUI to flash Merlin firmware (boots back into DD-WRT)
    • used TFTP to flash Merlin firmware when router is placed in Recovery Mode (boots back into DD-WRT)
    • used ASUS Firmware Restoration utility to try to flash Merlin firmware (the program just shows: The wireless router is not in rescue mode.)
    I saw a thread where someone suggested flashing Merlin 378.55 first because it was under 32MB or something (it appears the oldest firmware I can find for download is Merlin 380.57).

I don't know what Bootloader CFE version the router is on. Would anybody like to point me in the right direction? Perhaps the 5GHz Wifi is damaged, in which case I would be willing to ship this router to whoever could put it to use since the Wifi is the main reason I bought it.

2. totalnube

totalnube New Around Here

I'm going to go against my better judgement and bump this. On the plus side, I've learned to not let Asus Routers go past the warranty period before deploying them...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk