What's new

AC3100 Merlin: WDS connection drop every 58 seconds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dogf

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have an AC3100 running Merlin 386_7_2. Yesterday I found an very bad issue with the wifi connection:

The configuration is:
AC3100 - TPLink Archer C2 - Desktop.

AC3100 connect with Archer C2 using WDS, {2.4G or 5G}. The desktop is wired to the Archer C2.

From the desktop, trying to ping forever the AC3100, I found 2 packets drop every 58 seconds. It is periodic. Downloading file using web browser may fail because of the issue.

Archer C2 is placed 3m from the AC3100 and the desktop has very good internet speed if not dropped.

I have checked:
+ Ping outside e.g google.com: same issue.
+ wifi laptop connect to AC3100: works well
+ Desktop wired directly to AC3100 with the same Lan cable: works well
+ Restart Archer C2: same issue
+ switch connection between AC3100 and Archer C2 from 2.4 to 5G: same issue
+ Restart AC3100: issue SOLVED. But just a few hours later the issue comes back. Restart it again and few hours later the issue keeps comebak with the same symptom.

I think that there is a bug in the WDS connection between AC3100 and Acher C2.

Pls help, I dont know how to resolve it. Thabk you.

Attachments

• 20230205_073621.jpg
    20230205_073621.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
3 metres is too close for the C2, in wireless, or wired backhaul modes. Why don't you just drop it completely?

Does the C2 have Media Bridge mode? That is the only use I would put that to.

Archer C2 is to provide internet to the desktop which does not have wifi. I dont have any possibility to wire desktop to the AC3100.

3 metres is too close for the C2, in wireless, or wired backhaul modes. Why don't you just drop it completely?

Does the C2 have Media Bridge mode? That is the only use I would put that to.

AC3100 connect with Archer C2 using WDS

I don't see WDS option in Archer C2 stock firmware. What firmware is this router running?

WDS link has no encryption and is not guaranteed to work between different hardware radios.

I don't see WDS option in Archer C2 stock firmware. What firmware is this router running?

WDS link has no encryption and is not guaranteed to work between different hardware radios.
WDS support encryption. But why do you say that it will not works between different hardware radios?

My issue just recently appears, it had been working flawlessly.

The C2 version is:
Firmware Version:0.9.1 4.2 v0032.0 Build 160706 Rel.37961n

Hardware Version:Archer C2 v1 00000002

You can go to Menu Wireless 5G-> enable WDS in C2.

Hi L&LD,

Thanks for the suggestion on Media bridge. I found that the Archer C2 hasn't media bridge mode, so I have flashed it with Openwrt, then use client mode (media bridge) to connect the desktop to the main router.

It seems Okay with 2.4G, but 5G does not work. I am still trying to fix it.

Edit: 5G is working right now. It seems stable.

One more issue:
+ 5G mode cannot work under a 20 cm wall, compared to Archer C2 original WDS which can provide 70% speed compared to wire connection. I even cannot ping the main router one time.
+ 2.4G mode much slower than Archer C2 original WDS. :(.
You seem to imply you can wire it.

Does the C2 have Media Bridge mode?

Media Bridge Mode

Last edited:
Media Bridge

Media Bridge is Asus invented name of what's known as Wireless Bridge or Wireless Client in other firmwares - Wireless-to-Wired bridge. Asus had to name it AiBridge instead to match the other Ai nonsense in their firmware. :rolleyes:

I would drop that C2 and buy an inexpensive router that can do proper Media Bridge mode then. Look for models at garage sales, etc., and get your network to where it should be.

If using a different/new router in Media Bridge mode gives you the same poor results, I would then be looking at a full reset of the RT-AC3100 (after you have flashed the latest firmware for it, you're running old firmware now).

I found the isssue: transmission power set on openwrt 5g is too low so it cannot penetrate the wall. it is a driver bug, been existing for long time but no one fixes it.

I would drop that C2 and buy an inexpensive router that can do proper Media Bridge mode then. Look for models at garage sales, etc., and get your network to where it should be.

If using a different/new router in Media Bridge mode gives you the same poor results, I would then be looking at a full reset of the RT-AC3100 (after you have flashed the latest firmware for it, you're running old firmware now).

Reset the AC3100 seems fixe the issue. And the Archer C2 was reset to the original firmware. Speed 5G upto 60% full.

I also see wifi speed for normal device up 30 to 40‰ compared to before reset. What a magic button

Last edited:
The issue comebacks in a few days. Is it crazy. :(

I found the isssue: transmission power set on openwrt 5g is too low so it cannot penetrate the wall. it is a driver bug, been existing for long time but no one fixes it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!