What's new

AC3200 to AX86?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sabbath81

Regular Contributor
Hello guys,

im considering an upgrade from AC3200 to AX86.

Do you think its worthy?

The current setup is AC3200 running with RMerlin firmare, entware and transmission, so i have attached an external HDD for "storage" purposes.

I went from an AC86U to an AX86U just because I wanted one. Am glad I did and it was worth it! I have tried the new Merlin firmware but keep going back to Asus factory firmware as it works very well for me.

Definitely a very nice upgrade, for all aspects (wifi, CPU, RAM, newer codebase, etc...). You probably won`t miss the third band unless you had a LOT of wifi clients.

I went from an AC86U to an AX86U just because I wanted one. Am glad I did and it was worth it! I have tried the new Merlin firmware but keep going back to Asus factory firmware as it works very well for me.
Me too :) ! AX86U is the best of the beast hehehe! I agreed that AsusWRT works very well with me too. My last use of Merlin 386.1 & 386.1_2 went to some troubles as the AX86U being as AiMesh router and AC86U AiMesh node. There was ongoing buffering issue with Wifi client connected to AC86U and eventually disconnected and reconnected!

I reverted back to AsusWRT on both AX86U & AC86U, everything works alright for me. Someday I would come back to Merlin Firmware , maybe 386.2 but both are working very well like "Set them up and forget" kind of things hold me back to flash Merlin Firmware again (Merlin firmware opens up some great feature set that the AsusWRT didn't have!)

Definitely a very nice upgrade, for all aspects (wifi, CPU, RAM, newer codebase, etc...). You probably won`t miss the third band unless you had a LOT of wifi clients.
unfortunately its out of stock, currently they offer me only AX68U, so i am wondering now....

unfortunately its out of stock, currently they offer me only AX68U, so i am wondering now....
Try Amazon. They list third party vendors with AX86U availability right now at increased prices but you can still order through Amazon for about $250 USD if you select the other sellers option under "new and used from" $249.99 USD. I just ordered two more AX86's direct from Amazon this way for business use but I have to wait for them. They usually say earliest delivery is a a few weeks or as long as month or two away but they always seem to get more in stock and ship much earlier than their estimated time.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!