1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AC5300 Merlin Low Range

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by ASadani, Dec 10, 2018.

1. ASadani

ASadani Regular Contributor

hi all,

I changed from hugo to merlin on the ac5300 at a friends place and the range is significantly lesser. The places where I used to get 3 bars is now getting 1 and at times none. I know hugo's branch is not being supported here and he too no longer makes firmware but Hugo's latest firmware has a lot of speed / vpn issues and downgrading to his old firmware is not working at all.

Is there a way to downgrade to old base firmware tips? I have bricked a few routers trying to downgrade so am terribly confused on what to do

2. ASadani

ASadani Regular Contributor

I managed to tftp to the older firmware that works but once the old firmware starts the cpu1 spikes to 100 percent in a cycle with cpu2. Setting up telnet does not do anything and telnet / ssh is not enabled. If I change from static to dhcp I don't get an IP too.

I have tried the WPS clean etc and can't get the router to work with that firmware. Has some things changed that you cannot go back to an old working firmware?