What's new

AC5300 Won't Reach Gigabit Speed Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JonnySteele

New Around Here
I'll start by saying I'm new here, but have found a lot of helpful information. I have a AC5300 as my main router running Merlin 386.5_2 and a mesh router AC2900 also Merlin. The settings are basically all stock, and I recently upgraded to 1gb Internet. My issue is, I can only reach speeds of about 400mb download on wifi when connected to the 5300, but if I hardwire, I get the full 1gb download speed.

I thought maybe it had something to do with using the 2nd 5g signal as a backhual for the AC2900, so I removed it but no change. I did a factory reset, and only connected the modem and my phone, still no change. Meanwhile, I can factory reset the AC2900 and get 1gb speeds all day long over wifi.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forums @JonnySteele.

If that AC2900 is the RT-AC86U, you should be using it as the main router. It is the more powerful router, after all.

Have you tried the RT-AC5300 as the AiMesh node?

Last edited:
Sorry, I will go back and edit the post above. I meant the RT-AC86U.

Give the RT-AC5300 a chance as the node, it should be well suited for that.

I must agree with @L&LD - I had the RT-AC86U {AC2900) as main router and RT-AC5300 as an Aimesh Node a few years back [both running the same version of Merlinware].
Right now I have an RT-AX86U as main, a second RT-AX86U as a Aimesh Node with a an AC5300 as the last Aimesh Node. I do however have Ethernet wired backhauls between them all.
No problems getting above 1G wifi throughput on the 5G signal.

AC in general on the client side maxes at 866mbps 2x2 which is common for most adapters. Since WIFI runs in half-duplex typically you might see a max around 600mbps. One of the devices you mentioned shows using a 3x3 to hit optimal speeds.

Moving the client adapter to an AX200 / AX210 would boost your opportunity to wring a little more out of it.

Using an AX200/AX210 I can hit 1.3-1.5gbps using an AX AP with a 2.5GE backhaul.

To get the higher speeds with AC though you'll need to pick a clean channel and use 160mhz. If you can get more than a 2x2 client card and AC router you should be bale to hit higher speeds much easier but, will they fit the machine / is it worth the cost vs upgrading to AX?

The other part to take into consideration is the speeds that the device is alleged to be able to hit are adhoc wifi<> wifi not wifi <>wan. The limitation is due to the 1gbps port on the WAN side as the main bottleneck,.

Had the same setup
5300 most favourable channel, you’ll get 350-450
ax86 via AC you’ll get 400-500
ax86 via wifi 6, you‘ll get 850-950
these are best case.

I must agree with @L&LD - I had the RT-AC86U {AC2900) as main router and RT-AC5300 as an Aimesh Node a few years back [both running the same version of Merlinware].
Right now I have an RT-AX86U as main, a second RT-AX86U as a Aimesh Node with a an AC5300 as the last Aimesh Node. I do however have Ethernet wired backhauls between them all.
No problems getting above 1G wifi throughput on the 5G signal.
Thanks for the input, I will try reversing the roles and see what that gets me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!