What's new

AC56U and Merlin 378.53 : intermittent disconnects (both LAN and WLAN)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

charmainelooi

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am at my wits' end. I am getting intermittent internet disconnects on LAN and WLAN (3-5 times yesterday). I checked the ISP modem and it's working fine on their end. I rebooted the router and it works. I need some assistance in nailing the problem:

a) I checked the system log and the only error-like entries are these ( not sure why it's Jan 1st as well)

Jan 1 08:00:24 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0b.0: Failed to enable MSI-X
Jan 1 08:00:24 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0b.0: failed to allocate MSI entry

b) I am thinking of downgrading it but I am not sure which version is most "stable"

Thanks !

I'm on the same version, same router. No problems here. Check your idle temps. Mine runs around 80C usually which seems high to me, but it's been running like a champ. Are you doing a lot of P2P downloading by chance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully someone else who does a lot of P2P can offer some advice. I am betting if you stopped the downloads the problem would go away. There is probably some settings you need to adjust. The P2P makes a lot a connections and puts a lot of load on the router but I would think the AC56 could handle it.

Are you using VPN also? Or just a direct connection.

I've found that my wifi performance on an N66u is very erratic when a p2p transfer is running, both on 376.49_5, which I was running until this week, and on the latest firmware. In my case, it manifests in the form of fluctuating download speeds, which keep resetting to 0kb/s and in webpage loading times jumping dramatically, though once a connection is established, they load as normal. All these problems disappear over a wired connection. These problems have only surfaced in the past month or so, which makes me wonder if it might be some type of hardware issue, as the 376.49_5 firmware had been working fine in the early months of the year.

EDIT: I suppose another possibility is that the p2p software on my laptop might have updated automatically and changed something relating to connection limits, which seem to be set to global:200 new transfers:60. Either way, I'm wondering why this problem would be limited to wifi and not wired.

I have the same problem but using the model AC-68U located in HK, CPU is around 87-90c and it will be unreachable nearly daily.
Since i'm not beside the router, i am not sure the router is hang or internet disconnected, what can be sure that is the internet connection is fine.

each time it is unreachable i have to call my father to reboot the router and it is fine for a period of time, tried to downgrade from 53 to 52_2 and it is also hang, now ask my father to reboot again and try to downgrade to 51

I have another router AC-66U, location is in singapore (very hot country) and firmware is 51, i think it is stable because the router works fine for couple of months already.

It is probably not heat related, probably overloading something with the high connections on the P2P

It is probably not heat related, probably overloading something with the high connections on the P2P
suppose 68u can support up to 300K sessions... i checked whether P2P the connection are around 1000-1200, speed was around 28mB/s download, 12 mB/s upload, then around 30mins-60mins it is not responding

now i change the NAS connected to internet directly instead, downgrade firmware to 51 and change a more powerful fan, now CPU temperature is 68c (original is 88-90c) and looks good now...

Maybe it's the extra features in the newer builds, the Ai Protection, traffic analyzer. Did you have that stuff turned on? I am pretty sure 51 does not have it at all.

Maybe it's the extra features in the newer builds, the Ai Protection, traffic analyzer. Did you have that stuff turned on? I am pretty sure 51 does not have it at all.
I am on 378.52 and for me Traffic Analyzer was causing this problem. Once I turned it off I have been running for 50+ days now without needing a reboot.

I will have to turn it off on mine and see if the Temps drop. The info is so buggy and slow right now it is almost useless.

One thing I miss from tomato is the ip traffic graphs.

I have disconnect issue since last week.
I don't use much P2P but since google photos launched I've been re-uploading the images in huge amount (few hundred gbs) and two 1080P IP-Cam running on my NAS.

Just tried to turn off Traffic analyzer and see if it helps.

If you use high connections P2P, I suggest that using the factory firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3754 would be
perfect stable. I use that version about 3 months 7x24 and never has problems. On average, I download
and upload 30T a month. This is the version I will stick on it.

The ASUS new DPI engine has some strange problem (although I am not sure), so I move 378 to 376.

I'm on the same version ( RT-AC66U router), I never had this problem before 378.53 .

How can I disable trafic analyzer?

Go to the traffic analyzer page and switch it off. There is a toggle right there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply.
On my router ( RT-AC66U ) I don't see a page "traffic analyzer", I have a section called "traffic monitor" but I don't see an option to disable it.

Oh I think the AC66u doesn't have enough power for the analyzer, so it's disabled from the GUI. Might be a QoS setting. You could also try the stock firmware, or use one of john's forks which are based off the 374 line.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!