What's new

AC66u and Android Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bongostl

New Around Here
Hey all--

weird problem, I was hoping you could help.

I just bought two new routers, the ac66u and the netgear r6300.

On both of them, when I have either of my android devices (nexus 7, galaxy nexus) connected, I find that eventually the connection goes dead (stays connected to the router, but loses the internet connection). I have to toggle the wifi on and off in order to restore the net connection.

This does NOT happen on my old, standard N router (an old netgear)...in all cases I am running aes security with identical wifi settings otherwise...

thoughts?

This has happened to me using these routers. Afer a reboot of the Asus router and the device, the issue was resolved for me. Try deleting the wireless profile on the android device and putting it back on the network. I was not able to resolve the issue when using the Netgear.

Hey all--

weird problem, I was hoping you could help.

I just bought two new routers, the ac66u and the netgear r6300.

On both of them, when I have either of my android devices (nexus 7, galaxy nexus) connected, I find that eventually the connection goes dead (stays connected to the router, but loses the internet connection). I have to toggle the wifi on and off in order to restore the net connection.

This does NOT happen on my old, standard N router (an old netgear)...in all cases I am running aes security with identical wifi settings otherwise...

thoughts?

I have a similar problem with my Nexus 7 and the Asus AC66U (firmware 3.0.0.4.246). Since replacing my old Cisco router with the Asus my Nexus 7 constantly loses the connection. Most times it manages to reconnect after a few seconds (sometimes up to almost a minute). I've removed the network ('forget') and added it again, multiple times, also restarted the router and the Nexus multiple times - everything's still the same and the Nexus keeps losing the connection.

Meanwhile the connection seems to be OK with other devices like iPad and laptop.

Has anyone experienced these kind of problems and maybe even found a solution? I'd be happy for any hints!

Go to LAN -> Switch Control, and set GRO to be disabled. Your router is probably crashing due to that option.

Hi, I have the same issue. But I'm using the AC66U only in "access point mode" (3.0.0.4.246). There is no GRO-Option under LAN (at least when I'm using it as AP).
I'm having problems with an IPad. Full signal, but no internet. After reconnecting the IPad it works again.

GRO option only applies to router mode, as it only have any effect if you also share a USB disk through the router (which an AP can't).

You might be suffering from an iOS-specific issue. I see Apple recently released another iOS release that resolves wireless connectivity issues. There was numerous reports of wifi issues with 6.0.

Hi RMerlin, thanks for your answer... this could be right. My Ipad is my only iOs device which isn't updated to 6.0.1 yet. I will update it immediately! Hope it helps.

I also have this issue using the AC66 as an access point. Luckily I have the old Netgear at a different SSID as a standby. I was fine on .220, but I decided to go to .246. I went back to .220 but the problem didn't go away, went back to .246

oddly, Ipads at 5.0GHz aren't impacted, just 2.4 devices. Wondering if anything in the professional settings could help

I also have this issue using the AC66 as an access point. Luckily I have the old Netgear at a different SSID as a standby. I was fine on .220, but I decided to go to .246. I went back to .220 but the problem didn't go away, went back to .246

oddly, Ipads at 5.0GHz aren't impacted, just 2.4 devices. Wondering if anything in the professional settings could help

Try going to Wireless -> Professional, then change the Enhanced Interference Management option. See if it helps.

Enhanced Interference Management is currently set to enabled - should it be off?

My thunderbolt has the worst time, drops back to being connected to the N56 we use as a router (different SSID). But the thunderbolt WiFi support sucks anyhow.

Enhanced Interference Management is currently set to enabled - should it be off?

My thunderbolt has the worst time, drops back to being connected to the N56 we use as a router (different SSID). But the thunderbolt WiFi support sucks anyhow.

Try setting it off. Some people get better performance with it enabled, others with it disabled - it depends on the amount of interference you have in your area, and on the wireless interfaces used by your clients.

Mobile devices disconnecting - power-save mode incompatible

I've had this issue in the past. It's related to the power-save mode (APSD). Usually, the mobile device doesn't implement it or even support it at all (or more rarely, the router if it's an old Netgear).

On most Android phones the advanced wifi settings have a power-save setting. Turn that off first, as most modern routers with APSD will auto-detect devices with power-save turned off.
If you can find the power-save options in the router settings, try changing the settings for "WMM APSD" to disabled. The actual problem is likely to be the mobile device not properly supporting APSD.

Turning advanced interference management helped the Thunderbolt and got much better with .260 firmware. I used inSSIDer with the Netgear USB AC adapter and my reliable Asus USB-n53 with multiple i7 laptops from Lenovo, HP, and Sony. Saw random power drop offs on 2.4 but not 5.0. Very odd.

I tried all the solutions given in this thread, but I could never connect to Internet with any of my Android devices. I was using Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4_246.20. After flashing the latest stock Asus 3.0.0.4_260, it's working perfectly. I hope the new Merlin's version with solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

I tried all the solutions given in this thread, but I could never connect to Internet with any of my Android devices. I was using Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4_246.20. After flashing the latest stock Asus 3.0.0.4_260, it's working perfectly. I hope the new Merlin's version with solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

I have no problem with any of my three Android devices. Most likely it was a configuration issue.

Merlin's solution to turn off the Enhanced Interference Management was a big problem solver for me. My old and new Nest Thermostats were constantly getting disconnected, and my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket phone would drop and reconnect constantly. After troubleshooting almost all the other configuration settings, Enhanced Interference Management was definitely the culprit. Turned it off and now everything stays connected just fine.

In Wireless>General tab, would changing the "Network Key Rotation Interval" help? I read this process of re-handshaking for a new key can often lose connection. It's recommended this be 0 for streaming of any kind. PURE GUESS HERE.

Has this setting name been changed? I dont see it under the Wireless - PRO settings on 146 on my AC66u.

That setting was added in the last 2 or 3 firmware versions, I forgot which exact release. It's only available on the 2.4 GHz band.

It may be a red herring, but I also had the same disconnect issue with my andriod and it started with my asus router. I found turning off auto, and setting it to manual channel 11u/7u) was quiet locally. Once I did that speedtest ran at full pass on the android app. Maybe when I am bored, I will turn auto back on and play with the interference management.

Edit: Nope already was off, so setting channel to manual was my fix.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!