What's new

AC66U B1 cuts out (reboots?) periodically

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

weirdsong1

New Around Here
Hello,

I have two AC66U B1 routers set up in a AiMesh configuraton (current firmware version: 3.0.0.4.386_48262). Periodically the entire network disappears and promptly comes back within a few minutes. It'll do this for a few weeks at a time and then for seemingly no reason the problem goes away. I've long assumed this was an issue with my ISP (T-mobile home internet) which has been going through growing pains, but I'm now starting to believe that the routers are the problem. I live is a fairly rural area, so interference is not an issue, but I've still hard set the control channels, disabled many of the extended features like roaming assistant, beamforming, airtime fairness, IPv6, and other settings I've seen mentioned in association to dropped wifi signals, but nothing helps. I've tried both reverting to the original firmware and to the most updated offering from ASUS, again with seemingly no difference. However, I'm now suspecting that the devices are rebooting themselves, at least that what I'm assuming from my decidedly novice reading of the system log. Every time the network disappears, the log reads essentially the same sequence (see attached txt file for the two most recent failures which came back to back about 30 minutes apart). If anyone has any insight into my issue, I would be greatly appreciative.

Attachments

• AC66uB1 system log.txt
    28.3 KB · Views: 85
I see nothing alarming in logs. Looks like the router lost power.

How stable is the power delivery to your rural area?

Are the routers operating in well ventilated places to prevent overheating?

I see nothing alarming in logs. Looks like the router lost power.

How stable is the power delivery to your rural area?

Are the routers operating in well ventilated places to prevent overheating?
This was another of my original thoughts. When we first noticed the problem, there seemed to be some correlation of the a/c kicking on...giving weight to the idea of a surge in the system. However, there's no correlation there. So, the log suggests that the router lost power?? I've observed the routers directly as the problem occurs and there's no indication that anything at all happens. All the lights stay on, including the indicator light that the internet/wifi is up and active.

I have one of my routers plug into a battery backup and the other is just into a normal old surge protector...would putting that on an UPS make a difference?

Thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!