What's new

AC66u B1 unstable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vegetaleb

Occasional Visitor
Yesterday I had some troubles with my ac66u b1 which in mesh node, it lost once completely the connection with the source router, I rebooted it, it worked well for 30mn then on my Galaxy S21 ultra Wifi connection kept turning off/on randomly like if there were wifi drops from the ac66u b1, I restarted it again and it stabilised. Meanwhile I noticed it was pretty warm, it's posed on a small table with (fake) leather, could overheat be the culprit?

Yesterday I had some troubles with my ac66u b1 which in mesh node, it lost once completely the connection with the source router, I rebooted it, it worked well for 30mn then on my Galaxy S21 ultra Wifi connection kept turning off/on randomly like if there were wifi drops from the ac66u b1, I restarted it again and it stabilised. Meanwhile I noticed it was pretty warm, it's posed on a small table with (fake) leather, could overheat be the culprit?
Have never known an AC66U_B1 to overheat. It could happen if it gets dirty inside. Or it has failing components or was hit with a power surge.

what is the router and firmware on all devices?
FW is the latest given Asus
Screenshot_20211024-202949_Chrome.jpg

ac66u b1 which in mesh node

Your issue is not RT-AC66U B1 itself, but AiMesh stability with mixed routers. I see in other posts your main router is RT-AC86U. In my mixed AiMesh testing I was using the same AC86U as main and the same AC66U B1 as a node. The node just disappeared in less than 24h. This happened twice on stock Asuswrt, the latest available at the time. This was enough for me to stop wasting my time with AiMesh.

So what did you do?

Nothing. The routers used for testing are extra available routers in my hardware collection - back on the shelf for now. I may test AiMesh again when Asus officially releases the new RC3 beta based firmware. So far what I know is AiMesh works well with identical routers and may or may not not work as expected with mixed models and generations routers. Your AC86U is a HND router, AC66U B1 is an older design AC68U variant. They may have similar Asuswrt GUI, bit in fact run on completely different Linux kernel, use different SoC/radio drivers and support different features.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!