What's new

AC66u b1 X2 Aimesh problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cptkex

New Around Here
Hello! i am hoping someone here could shed some light into my problem.

I have two AC66U B1 routers set up as an aimesh system using ethernet backhaul. It´s been working fine until the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386_41634-g08f88ae . My main router is in the living room and feeds my Smart Tv with 5ghz wifi. It also has my ps4 connected. The aimesh node in my bedroom feeds a chromecast ultra with 5ghz wifi. These are the only things connected to this 5ghz network.

After the lastest firmware update, the Tv doesnt connect to the living room anymore. The 5ghz network from the livingroom main router is gone. The node is still broadcasting the 5ghz network but now the tv connects to this instead with a bad wifi signal. I had the TV "bound" to the livingroom router and while this function was activated, the tv couldnt connect to the 5ghz network. When i removed the binding to the living room router it connected instantly, but to the node in the bedroom.

I had this problem before, that the main router wouldnt emit any 5ghz network for a while after reboot but waiting (previous firmware ago) would resolve that issue. It felt like the main router wasnt accepting connections on the 5ghz network for a while, but the node was instantly availble. So every 5ghz client would connect to this and then i would have to go in and reset the connections for it to work after a while. But now, this doesnt work.

ive tried switching routers, tried numerous settings without any luck.

Help!

Hello! i am hoping someone here could shed some light into my problem.

I have two AC66U B1 routers set up as an aimesh system using ethernet backhaul. It´s been working fine until the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386_41634-g08f88ae . My main router is in the living room and feeds my Smart Tv with 5ghz wifi. It also has my ps4 connected. The aimesh node in my bedroom feeds a chromecast ultra with 5ghz wifi. These are the only things connected to this 5ghz network.

After the lastest firmware update, the Tv doesnt connect to the living room anymore. The 5ghz network from the livingroom main router is gone. The node is still broadcasting the 5ghz network but now the tv connects to this instead with a bad wifi signal. I had the TV "bound" to the livingroom router and while this function was activated, the tv couldnt connect to the 5ghz network. When i removed the binding to the living room router it connected instantly, but to the node in the bedroom.

I had this problem before, that the main router wouldnt emit any 5ghz network for a while after reboot but waiting (previous firmware ago) would resolve that issue. It felt like the main router wasnt accepting connections on the 5ghz network for a while, but the node was instantly availble. So every 5ghz client would connect to this and then i would have to go in and reset the connections for it to work after a while. But now, this doesnt work.

ive tried switching routers, tried numerous settings without any luck.

Help!

It's either defective hardware or the firmware is not right. To rule out the firmware, I would setup your network again from scratch beginning with the router. Don't add the node until the router is working correctly. Reset the firmware on each router before configuring the main router from scratch.

My install notes cover a basic configuration.

OE

It's either defective hardware or the firmware is not right. To rule out the firmware, I would setup your network again from scratch beginning with the router. Don't add the node until the router is working correctly. Reset the firmware on each router before configuring the main router from scratch.

My install notes cover a basic configuration.

OE
i reconfigured some settings according to your excellent post and i did manage to get it to pop up now after the network had time to settle. Unclear if it was the network resetting itself from the changes. Is the 5ghz taking some time on the main router a known issue?

Only problem i have now is that the 2.4ghz takes a while to change from one node to the next but perhaps thats normal.

thank you

i reconfigured some settings according to your excellent post and i did manage to get it to pop up now after the network had time to settle. Unclear if it was the network resetting itself from the changes. Is the 5ghz taking some time on the main router a known issue?

Only problem i have now is that the 2.4ghz takes a while to change from one node to the next but perhaps thats normal.

thank you

No, the WiFi signals begin broadcasting upon reboot or after a WiFi setting change.

The important ask is, did you reset the firmware before configuring it?

A 2.4 signal travels far. If the nodes are not far apart, then their 2.4 signals appear similarly strong to your 2.4 client when walking around your AiMesh. To improve roaming node-to-node, raise (less negative) the 2.4 Roaming Assistant RSSI threshold to say -55.

Also, your routers do not support Smart Connect node band steering, so use different SSIDs per band.

OE

No, the WiFi signals begin broadcasting upon reboot or after a WiFi setting change.

The important ask is, did you reset the firmware before configuring it?

A 2.4 signal travels far. If the nodes are not far apart, then their 2.4 signals appear similarly strong to your 2.4 client when walking around your AiMesh. To improve roaming node-to-node, raise (less negative) the 2.4 Roaming Assistant RSSI threshold to say -55.

Also, your routers do not support Smart Connect node band steering, so use different SSIDs per band.

OE
I missed your reply, sorry.

I measured the signal in the kitchen and both mesh routers are coming in at around -64. If i lower the roaming assist to -55, wouldnt that mean that both routers are constantly trying to roam to the other network? or would this improve performance in this area? staying in that spot long seems to mean disconnects in internet connection, probablt due to node switching?

When you say use different SSID per band, do you mean 2.4ghz vs 5ghz? just want to be sure im understanding you.

I missed your reply, sorry.

I measured the signal in the kitchen and both mesh routers are coming in at around -64. If i lower the roaming assist to -55, wouldnt that mean that both routers are constantly trying to roam to the other network? or would this improve performance in this area? staying in that spot long seems to mean disconnects in internet connection, probablt due to node switching?

When you say use different SSID per band, do you mean 2.4ghz vs 5ghz? just want to be sure im understanding you.

Roaming is node-to-node, not band-to-band. And routers don't roam... clients roam. Try adjusting the RA RSSI threshold for the band in question to see how your client behaves.

Yes, with no Smart Connect band steering on the AC66U, define SSID-24 and SSID-50 and then only connect your client to one of those WLANs... manual band steering solves half of the problem.

OE

Roaming is node-to-node, not band-to-band. And routers don't roam... clients roam. Try adjusting the RA RSSI threshold for the band in question to see how your client behaves.

Yes, with no Smart Connect band steering on the AC66U, define SSID-24 and SSID-50 and then only connect your client to one of those WLANs... manual band steering solves half of the problem.

OE
sorry for being unclear, i mean that with wifi analyzer apps i can detect both 2.4ghz bands, one from each of the mesh nodes. So i can see that in the kitchen, both nodes have equal signal strength on the 2.4band. I was worried that a lower setting (the signal is -64) would just make the client constantly try to optimize its connection making it loose internet coverage? or am i not understanding the tech right.

sorry for being unclear, i mean that with wifi analyzer apps i can detect both 2.4ghz bands, one from each of the mesh nodes. So i can see that in the kitchen, both nodes have equal signal strength on the 2.4band. I was worried that a lower setting (the signal is -64) would just make the client constantly try to optimize its connection making it loose internet coverage? or am i not understanding the tech right.

Given two similar 2.4 signals, your client may waffle between them. By raising (less negative... not lowering) the router 2.4 RA RSSI threshold, you are hoping the router will encourage the client to use one signal over the other.

Experiment!

OE

Given two similar 2.4 signals, your client may waffle between them. By raising (less negative... not lowering) the router 2.4 RA RSSI threshold, you are hoping the router will encourage the client to use one signal over the other.

Experiment!

OE
thank you for the help! Thread closed

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!