What's new

AC66U issue with LAN port 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mgoblue62

New Around Here
For some time I have been experiencing an annoying problem with the LAN connection between my desktop computer (Asus Z97 PRO motherboard) and my Asus RT-AC66U router. The connection drops (globe icon in the system tray in Windows), but if I run the Troubleshoot Problems wizard, it fixes the problem. This might happen several times a day. I was thinking this could be a problem with my computer - not the router, but when I replaced the computer with a Dell desktop computer (Optiplex 390), I had the same issue.

None of my other LAN connections seem to have problems - Asus 8 port switch, Dell laptop, TP-Link mesh router. So I connected my desktop to the Asus switch (plugged in to the Asus router, LAN port 3) and all has been stable.

Is this a known problem? Any way to fix? It seems odd that just one LAN port would be flakey like this. The only other problem I have seen with the router has been inconsistent/slow speeds with the 2.4 ghz radio, but I do have 40+ devices connected. I've been migrating some of the IOT devices to the TP-link.

Thanks,

David

Don't remember reading of that issue for that old model. (I have read every post since I joined the forums here).

Have you tried different Ethernet cables?

Have you tried fully powering down the router?

Are you able to reverse the cable (end to end)? Sounds weird, but I have seen this work in other situations.

Apologies! It's actually an Asus RT AX58U that has the issue. (The AC 66U is used as a media bridge.)

I have tried powering down the router many times, but I haven't tried a different ethernet cable. The same cable is working fine connected to the Asus switch that's connected to a different port on the Asus RT AX58U router.

Isn't there a mechanical issue with the pins in the RJ45 socket of that trouble LAN port, bend pins or what ever?

Isn't there a mechanical issue with the pins in the RJ45 socket of that trouble LAN port, bend pins or what ever?
I might suspect that, but the odd thing is that most of the time it works fine. Then it will hit a rough patch and it takes the Windows networking troubleshooter to resolve. Then it might be good for 5 minutes or 5 hours.

Clean the port, the cable connectors and/or replace the cable. There is nothing special with LAN port 2.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!