What's new

AC66U shows Internet disconnected but I am connected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ziggy99

New Around Here
I have a strange issue with my Asus AC66U B1 router.

I connect to my ISP through "bridge mode". This means that I am using the router provided by my ISP just for communication and the router functionality in it is disabled. The ASUS are getting IP etc directly from the ISP and is my "main router".
Everything works as expected, and the clients can connect to Internet. No issues with Internet connectivity. This is a recommended setup from my ISP (Altibox in Norway).

But there is one issue, which is that the network map page in the Asus router shows "Internet disconnected". But it is not disconnected. This would normally not be any issue, but it seems to have some side effects. The NTP sync is not working, so the router time is totally off. This means that the time displayed in the system log is wrong. I can also not use "check updates" on the firmware page. It just tries for some time, and then it displays a message "The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update.".

I am running latest stock Asus firmware. I previously used Asuswrt Merlin - which I do not think had the same issues. I recently started using AiMesh, which is the reason for switching to stock Asus firmware.

I have tried several things:
* Made sure DNS settings are correct. I can nslookup and ping fine both from network tools in router and when SSHing into terminal. Tried both Cloudfare/Google and ISP DNS (both auto and manual)
* Tried changing Network Monitoring - tried both "DNS Query" with different servers and "Ping" with different servers and IP addresses (e.g. 8.8.8.8)

So the router tools / terminal are definitely able to reach Internet, but for some reason it thinks that it is not able to...

Any ideas?

Just to cover the basics. I assume that you've already performed a factory reset with the "Initialize" box checked on the side after the last firmware change, and then reconfigured your router from scratch manually (AND NOT READ IN ANY FORM OF BACKUP CONFIG FILE FROM EARLIER). If not, start by doing so now.

Just to cover the basics. I assume that you've already performed a factory reset with the "Initialize" box checked on the side after the last firmware change, and then reconfigured your router from scratch manually (AND NOT READ IN ANY FORM OF BACKUP CONFIG FILE FROM EARLIER). If not, start by doing so now.

Yes, I have tried several forms for reset. And I have never loaded old config - always started from scratch. I tried "reset button" and also factory reset using power+WPS button as described by ASUS. Everytime setting up the router from scratch.

Yes, I have tried several forms for reset. And I have never loaded old config - always started from scratch. I tried "reset button" and also factory reset using power+WPS button as described by ASUS. Everytime setting up the router from scratch.

And you are sure you have connected the router to the "internet" port on your Altibox router (in bridge mode that is one specific lan port, and the others is for TV signals (sorry for not remembering which is which on the fly).

Also it might help to power off/on your Altibox router.

Did fire up an ac88u with Merlin 386.4 the other day and it has no such problems on Altibox (Stor Oslo area). The only config I have done so far is set the timezone settings (see pic)...

Attachments

• timezoneSettings.PNG
    timezoneSettings.PNG
    17.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
And you are sure you have connected the router to the "internet" port on your Altibox router (in bridge mode that is one specific lan port, and the others is for TV signals (sorry for not remembering which is which on the fly).

Also it might help to power off/on your Altibox router.

Did fire up an ac88u with Merlin 386.4 the other day and it has no such problems on Altibox (Stor Oslo area). The only config I have done so far is set the timezone settings (see pic)...

Yes, the connection to Altibox is good, and is in the bridge mode port. The internet connection works perfectly and has done for many years.
I tried repowering the Altibox router but same issue.

I am running stock Asus, because I set up AiMesh. I ran Merlin, and I think it worked fine then. So it might be something that the stock Asus firmware does not handle well.

Yes, the connection to Altibox is good, and is in the bridge mode port. The internet connection works perfectly and has done for many years.
I tried repowering the Altibox router but same issue.

I am running stock Asus, because I set up AiMesh. I ran Merlin, and I think it worked fine then. So it might be something that the stock Asus firmware does not handle well.
I think there were some chatter about something similar in the alfa and beta thread of Merlins latest release. So you could skim through them to see if you find anything relevant...

Hey again,

I guess you are running stock fw 386-46065, and there was absolutely nothing in that fw thread yet, but you should maybe try to report your problems there:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!