What's new

AC66U Unable to detect wired connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks. For some reason I thought the 30-30-30 thing was for the reset button. So far so good.

Major problem right now is laptops seem to have trouble staying connected to it. Both my Macbook and my wife's Lenovo connect and show enough bars, but often then disconnect or at least have to be disconnected and reconnected to work again. I'm downstairs and perhaps 30' from the router. Maybe I'm on it's limit. My DIR-655 worked from this distance but not super well. I was hoping the ASUS being a few years more current would work from there no problem. Perhaps I need a second router. Mine is not in a perfect spot (upstairs laundry room) but it's where all the ethernet is central and in the middle of the floor plan so I don't have limitless options on location.

Thanks. For some reason I thought the 30-30-30 thing was for the reset button. So far so good.

Major problem right now is laptops seem to have trouble staying connected to it. Both my Macbook and my wife's Lenovo connect and show enough bars, but often then disconnect or at least have to be disconnected and reconnected to work again. I'm downstairs and perhaps 30' from the router. Maybe I'm on it's limit. My DIR-655 worked from this distance but not super well. I was hoping the ASUS being a few years more current would work from there no problem. Perhaps I need a second router. Mine is not in a perfect spot (upstairs laundry room) but it's where all the ethernet is central and in the middle of the floor plan so I don't have limitless options on location.

Have you made any changes to the wireless settings ?
See this thread : T-AC66U - much problems with iPhone 4 + 4s
You can probably find the solution to your problem in this thread.

I ended up moving to an Airport Extreme. On paper it's less capable but at least in our house which is Apple heavy, it functions better. Certainly our laptops no longer drop connections. Can't blame anyone for using the Asus but it was one of the bigger efforts I've had to make lately to get household technology working.

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here on forum but I hope to stay here longer :)

I have the same issue, my router came with recovery mode out of box :(

After reflashing it started to work, but what should I do now, return it back to the shop or leave it?

What caused this issue, just some firmware flasing case on the Asus factory or it may say about possible problem in future? Is my hardware ok or not?

Thx :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As earlier posters in the thread have done , reported the serial-number of the AC66U to Jeremy at Asus and where you bought it the unit should be ok after the flah of firmware. You could always contact Asus support too to let them no about your problem. Perhaps the retailer where you bought it should be told also so the other buyers of the AC66U with the same problem do not have to RMA their units.

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here on forum but I hope to stay here longer :)

I have the same issue, my router came with recovery mode out of box :(

After reflashing it started to work, but what should I do now, return it back to the shop or leave it?

What caused this issue, just some firmware flasing case on the Asus factory or it may say about possible problem in future? Is my hardware ok or not?

Thx :rolleyes:

As earlier posters in the thread have done , reported the serial-number of the AC66U to Jeremy at Asus and where you bought it the unit should be ok after the flah of firmware. You could always contact Asus support too to let them no about your problem. Perhaps the retailer where you bought it should be told also so the other buyers of the AC66U with the same problem do not have to RMA their units.

So this corrupted firmware is not a reason to RMA, right? Will it be able to work stable for next several years? :)

So this corrupted firmware is not a reason to RMA, right? Will it be able to work stable for next several years? :)

No need to return the router, so long it works properly once flashed. This seems to be a QA issue with the router's manufacturing. Send a PM to CL-Jeremy here on the forums. He's an Asus representative and was tracking down those reports to see if they were specific to one batch or a mode widespread problem. As others mentionned, give him your serial number, the date and the place where the router was purchased.

Yes, I pm'd to Jeremy, thx all!

Now this router worked half s day without any issues, so I think I will leave it.

Also one more question - what is the difference between A1 and A2 h/w revisions? I myself has A2 but there is also A1 I know.

Others and myself asked this question before and the reply then and still is : no difference.

Yes, I pm'd to Jeremy, thx all!

Now this router worked half s day without any issues, so I think I will leave it.

Also one more question - what is the difference between A1 and A2 h/w revisions? I myself has A2 but there is also A1 I know.

NewEgg Refurbished RT-AC66R appears to be a dud

As others have reported, I am experiencing issues with the AC66R. Unfortunately for me, unlike the others, I still cannot access the router after numerous firmware flashes and NVRAM dumps.

I've tried retaining the static IP used during the firmware update, changing the static IP and using dynamic. In all cases, I can get 192.168.1.1 to request the login info but after entering the default "admin:admin" it just sits there perpetually loading (nothing ever comes up).

Thoughts?

Side note: Sorry for dredging up an old thread but I thought that there might be some benefit to the consolidation of issues.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!