What's new

AC68U 380.x upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Over the weekend I decided to dust off my old 68U and try it out as an AiMesh node with my 86U. The 68U was on 380.69, as I haven't used it for a few years, so I did a factory reset first, then just updated it via the admin pages.
Asuswrt-Merlin v380.69 supports AiMesh? I have an AC1900P (AC68U with a faster CPU) running Merlin v380.70 (later version than yours), and there is no AiMesh support in that release.

@MarkyPancake I hope you did a full reset to factory defaults again afterward. :)

Time to update your signature as well. :)

I did indeed and then it only took two attempts for the 86U to find the 68U node. :)

I turned off auto-signatures ages ago, so forgot all about it.

Auto-signatures? I don't know what that is.

I am just referring to your signature that currently states 'ASUS RT-AC68U | Merlin 380.59_0'. :)

Auto-signatures? I don't know what that is.

I am just referring to your signature that currently states 'ASUS RT-AC68U | Merlin 380.59_0'. :)

Oops. I meant signature. I'm sat in front of my work laptop and about to close down for the day and enable my auto-signature, so was on my brain.

That was a while ago now. The 68U has been sat on a shelf in its box for around the last 3 years. :)

And why I suggested you update it to its current state. :)

The current version is 384.17!
yeah so?

v380.70 is relatively stable and works well on my AC1900P router; versions 382.x and 384.x not so much. I'm waiting for the current generation of firmware to mature and stabilize before putting the newer AC86U into service, replacing the 1900P router. At that point, I may update the 1900P firmware to v384.x and use it as a mesh node, with a wired backhaul to the AC86U. Currently I'm using the 1900P as the main router along with a Netgear R7000 in WAP mode, that combination works great, with about ten people, their phones and other devices all using the internet at the same time. I set both router and AP to the same SSID and clients roam between the two access points automatically, without any issues. I'd be foolish to fix what isn't broken.

At one point, I did update the 1900P to v384.x and tested it as a mesh node, wired to the 86U, but that setup didn't perform nearly as well as the 1900P + R7000 combo; and wireless connections were constantly dropping and reconnecting. The 86U's spammy router log was also annoying, apparently Asus forgot to disable debug logging. Maybe some of those bugs are fixed now, don't know, but I'm gonna wait for a while, until I'm confident the latest generation of firmware is solid & reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was in response to your post:
Asuswrt-Merlin v380.69 supports AiMesh? I have an AC1900P (AC68U with a faster CPU) running Merlin v380.70 (later version than yours), and there is no AiMesh support in that release.
You were questioning how the OP got AiMesh support in v380.69 when you didn't have it in v380.70. I was pointing out that he said he had upgraded to 384.17 prior to using AiMesh.

That was in response to your post:

You were questioning how the OP got AiMesh support in v380.69 when you didn't have it in v380.70. I was pointing out that he said he had upgraded to 384.17 prior to using AiMesh.

hmm I must have misread what MarkyPancake wrote. I thought he said his AC68U was running v380.69, but I see now where he says 'was on 380.69'. My mistake.