What's new

AC68U+AC57Uv3 - AiMesh not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

proshot

New Around Here
Both routers on latest firmware.
AC68 as main router, AC57 as a node
Can't add AiMesh node no matter what. Multiple resets, restores etc. etc. I tried wired connection too, but in that scenario main router does not even find available nodes nearby (btw, i think i know why, it seems that as soon as lan cable is inserted in the aimesh node wan port it immediately considers itself to be in "router mode" and stops being available for discovery).
Is it just broken? Do i have a faulty unit or is it a common issue?

I asked the official asus tech support, they sent me email saying that AC57 v3 does not support AiMesh (!). Apparently they don't know that it contradicts their own website info - https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC57U-V3/. On the other hand, it does indeed look like it's not supported and website is wrong...

Both routers on latest firmware.
AC68 as main router, AC57 as a node
Can't add AiMesh node no matter what. Multiple resets, restores etc. etc. I tried wired connection too, but in that scenario main router does not even find available nodes nearby (btw, i think i know why, it seems that as soon as lan cable is inserted in the aimesh node wan port it immediately considers itself to be in "router mode" and stops being available for discovery).
Is it just broken? Do i have a faulty unit or is it a common issue?

I asked the official asus tech support, they sent me email saying that AC57 v3 does not support AiMesh (!). Apparently they don't know that it contradicts their own website info - https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC57U-V3/. On the other hand, it does indeed look like it's not supported and website is wrong...

If you login to the AC57U, does the webUI reference AiMesh anywhere? If so, make sure the router is reset to factory defaults before searching for it as node from the AC68U. Also make sure Wireless\WPS is enabled on the AC68U.

OE

AC57 is in default mode, i only connected to it's gui once after purchase to update the firmware. After that i always did the full reset with the physical button.
WPS is enabled on AC68. I think if it wasn't enabled, AC68 won't even find the node, the problem is that it finds the node instantly but it fails to add it every time.

AC57 is in default mode, i only connected to it's gui once after purchase to update the firmware. After that i always did the full reset with the physical button.
WPS is enabled on AC68. I think if it wasn't enabled, AC68 won't even find the node, the problem is that it finds the node instantly but it fails to add it every time.

If you don't want to login and check, then assume it doesn't support AiMesh and replace it... no troubleshooting required.

OE

Oh i see what you mean now. Yes, i does mention AiMesh. It goes like this - Welcome screen - Create a new network - Manual setting - I want to set this device as an AiMesh node - and then it resets we're back to beginning.

Oh i see what you mean now. Yes, i does mention AiMesh. It goes like this - Welcome screen - Create a new network - Manual setting - I want to set this device as an AiMesh node - and then it resets we're back to beginning.

Reset the node with the reset button, don't change it, and try to add it as a node from the main router. Does the main router find it?

OE

Yes, i made the reset many times before posting here. Router always finds the node but never completes adding it.

Yes, i made the reset many times before posting here. Router always finds the node but never completes adding it.

Some other things to check:
- confirm ALL bands are broadcasting
- confirm Authentication Method is set to HTTP on main router

I use a WiFi Analyzer to confirm all bands are broadcasting... to actually see them.

That's about all I can think of other than re-flashing or downgrading firmware.

OE

Page 42 in the manual says it works. Does it? No idea. Have you ever tried to reverse it? Make the 57u the Main and the 68u the node to see the results? As soon as you see the node signal a broadcast, try to connect via AIM from the Main. (AiMesh) If you miss the window, restart it the process.

Thank you. Everything is in order. It just does not work.

For now, Asus Support may be right.

If you replace it, consider the AC86U... or AC68U/AC66U B1.

OE

OK i think i've made some progress. As suggested by Cobra Kai, i tried the reverse setup, and AC68 was added as node on first try.
I didn't want to leave it that way though because AC68 is more powerful and should be a master router, and i also had a ton of custom settings on AC68 over the years which could not be easily transferred to AC57 via config file.
Then i reset AC68 and set it up as brand new router. Again, AC57 was added as a node this time without issues.
It all stopped working again after i uploaded my settings file to AC68
Conclusion - there's something in my settings that prevents the node from being added. Any ideas?
At least now i have the option of fully resetting AC68 and adding my custom options manually one by one to see what causes the issue.

OK i think i've made some progress. As suggested by Cobra Kai, i tried the reverse setup, and AC68 was added as node on first try.
I didn't want to leave it that way though because AC68 is more powerful and should be a master router, and i also had a ton of custom settings on AC68 over the years which could not be easily transferred to AC57 via config file.
Then i reset AC68 and set it up as brand new router. Again, AC57 was added as a node this time without issues.
It all stopped working again after i uploaded my settings file to AC68
Conclusion - there's something in my settings that prevents the node from being added. Any ideas?
At least now i have the option of fully resetting AC68 and adding my custom options manually one by one to see what causes the issue.

Don't restore the saved settings. Reset and configure from scratch and omit settings you can live without... keep it simple so that it is easier to upgrade to new AiMesh firmware going forward. AiMesh is a work-in-progress so be prepared to reset and configure from scratch again.

Your original issue may have been that the AC68U firmware needed a clean install... flash, reset, and configure from scratch.

Restoring a saved configuration is best used for restoring to the same hardware, same firmware, such as for disaster recovery or for returning to a known good state after an experiment or test. It is not advisable for migrating a configuration forward with different hardware and/or different firmware. You can try it, but at the first sign of trouble, the first thing you need to do before you troubleshoot is clean install the router... so I prefer to clean install in the first place (keep a written record of your settings and keep it simple... it should be plug and play... but it isn't!).

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!