What's new

AC68U & AC88U networking issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just_cruising

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and noob to networking so bear with me.

I have an AC88U as the main router and an AC68U setup as an Access Point. The AC88U is acting mainly as a wireless router, with just on ethernet cable connecting to the AC68U. Most my networking done through the AC68U as I have 3 ethernet cables connected to different equipment and at least 4-5 connections wirelessly. Everything was working fine for the past year until yesterday. I didn't have access to the internet on my PC and my server both are connected via ethernet. The strange thing is that the wifi on my phone was absolutely fine, I even did a speedtest and it was normal. Also my firestick which is connected wirelessly was fine. I tried to connect to the same network wirelessly from my laptop and I couldn't, I used the same laptop to connect wirelessly to the AC88U and it worked just fine. I can access the router's setup page through the ip address which shows that it is connected to the internet. I tried using a spare ethernet cable but didn't work. I even did a factory reset to the AC68U but still the same.

Appreciate any help in order to understand the issue here.

Thanks
Yas

What firmwares are on the routers? Are you using AiMesh?

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and noob to networking so bear with me.

I have an AC88U as the main router and an AC68U setup as an Access Point. The AC88U is acting mainly as a wireless router, with just on ethernet cable connecting to the AC68U. Most my networking done through the AC68U as I have 3 ethernet cables connected to different equipment and at least 4-5 connections wirelessly. Everything was working fine for the past year until yesterday. I didn't have access to the internet on my PC and my server both are connected via ethernet. The strange thing is that the wifi on my phone was absolutely fine, I even did a speedtest and it was normal. Also my firestick which is connected wirelessly was fine. I tried to connect to the same network wirelessly from my laptop and I couldn't, I used the same laptop to connect wirelessly to the AC88U and it worked just fine. I can access the router's setup page through the ip address which shows that it is connected to the internet. I tried using a spare ethernet cable but didn't work. I even did a factory reset to the AC68U but still the same.

Appreciate any help in order to understand the issue here.

Thanks
Yas

Maybe the upper LAN ports 5 to 8 are failing on the AC88U... try connecting the AC68U to a lower port 1 to 4.

OE

There are only 4 ports on both routers, I've tried a different port as well but still can't get a connection through LAN

could it be it's due to spamming?? if so, any idea how to find out and what should I do?
The AC88U does have 8 LAN ports. If yours has only 4 it is not an AC88U. AC86U maybe?

AS for the AC68U you may have better results by going back to Asus firmware. If your AP is, by chance, an AC86U I would use that as the main router and Merlin firmware would run OK on it. But my preference would still be Asus firmware.

I believe your router is actually an RT-AC3100 with incorrectly flashed RT-AC88U firmware (they're not compatible).

The AC88U does have 8 LAN ports. If yours has only 4 it is not an AC88U. AC86U maybe?

AS for the AC68U you may have better results by going back to Asus firmware. If your AP is, by chance, an AC86U I would use that as the main router and Merlin firmware would run OK on it. But my preference would still be Asus firmware.
My bad, you are right. It's AC86U.
So I changed the Lan port again, then I went through the client list on the router and there were 3 clients that I couldn't recognize, i blocked them. After a restart everything returned to normal finally

thanks guys

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!