What's new

Ac68u and aimesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yamvmax

Occasional Visitor
I have 3 ac68u running latest 386.1 alpha. I am having issues with AI mesh. My 1st time using it, wonderig if i should just buy a real mesh setup. One node is fine, the other keeps going offline after 5 mins of connecting. I have reset it numerous times, same issue. Thoughts??? Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

How big is your area you're covering? What is the construction of the walls/floors? Does a single, centrally placed router give you the coverage you need? 3 wireless AP's is usually too much RF for normal homes up to even 5000 SqFt. Do two routers (main plus one node) work better?

Did you reset all the routers to factory defaults? Did you add the nodes properly (via the main router's GUI, after each node was fully reset)? Are you using new SSID's for your WiFi networks? Are you customizing anything you shouldn't be? When running on the recommended defaults (see the M&M Config guide in the link in my signature below for those settings).

Finally, if you have done all the above and are still facing issues, why are you running Alpha firmware when you want reliability?

I'd recommend going to RMerlin 384.19_0 and after flashing performing a full reset (needed) and using a firmware that is known to be stable.

I've run Merlin 384.17, .18 and now .19 on both my AC86U router and AC68U node without any issues (I keep both devices on the same firmware version). So, like L&LD suggested, perhaps try a different firmware version and see how it performs.

I have 3 ac68u running latest 386.1 alpha. I am having issues with AI mesh. My 1st time using it, wonderig if i should just buy a real mesh setup. One node is fine, the other keeps going offline after 5 mins of connecting. I have reset it numerous times, same issue. Thoughts??? Thanks

My install notes are brief but might offer some clues. I would clean install the current released stock Asuswrt (or Asuswrt-Merlin) and then investigate.

Inspect the node's wireless backhauls in the router webUI Wireless Log to know how strong they are.

OE

So i had one connected with ethernet backhaul, and other wireless. The wireless one keeps going offline. I connected it using ethernet, now its online. Guess it was weak wireless? My house isnt all that big, 2 stories, 2500 sq feet. Are these ac68's weak with wifi?

Can you answer the questions in post 2?

Welp, now my wifi is screwed up, most wont connect. WTF.

Take a deep breath and review the advice above. Then proceed one step at a time.

OE

OK, on stock FW. some of my devices wont connect to the wifi, isnt this supposed to be seamless?

Are you resetting all routers to factory defaults before configuring the main router from scratch and adding the nodes?

OE

Are you resetting all routers to factory defaults before configuring the main router from scratch and adding the nodes?

OE
Yes, for whatever reason, i had to reconnect through setup all my google devices to reconnect to wifi. I think i have it all working now. Thanks for everyone's help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!