What's new

AC68U Firmware Update for DNS Fix

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TonyK132

Will Asus release a firmware update for a fix for the recent DNS problem, or is that router now being left behind with no more updates? I use mine as a AiMesh node.

I use mine as a AiMesh node.
Then the question is moot in your case as you're not running a DNS server on it. It's still a valid question for other users using it as a router. It's only been a couple of days since dnsmasq was patched at source. I expect it'll be included in Asus' next security update as normal as the RT-AC68U is still supported.

Last edited:
Will Asus release a firmware update for a fix for the recent DNS problem, or is that router now being left behind with no more updates? I use mine as a AiMesh node.
Asus generally does not respond in or to this subform on Asus routers. As such you are asking for people to speculate. So some speculation. Chances are Asus will eventually release a patch for the DNSmasq vulnerability for their routers. When or how soon is anyone's guess.

In the mean time you can always use Asus-Merlin's firmware on a RT-AC68U router (if you need the DNSmasq DNSSEC fix for the router) since he released a patch for DNSmasq recently.
Code:
386.12_6 (26-Feb-2024)
  - UPDATED: dnsmasq to 2.90 (resolves CVE 2023-50868 and CVE 2023-50387).
As already indicated by ColinTaylor the AiMesh node typically isn't running a DNS server on it. AiMesh nodes typically have a number of router features disabled. Same for AP mode.

fix for the recent DNS problem

There is no DNSSEC option in stock Asuswrt firmware anyway. What "DNS problem" is an update going to fix?

There is for AX routers.

Not available for RT-AC68U on current 386 firmware. Perhaps this router on stock Asuswrt is not even affected by Dnsmasq DNSSEC vulnerability.

There is no DNSSEC option in stock Asuswrt firmware anyway. What "DNS problem" is an update going to fix?
Oops!! I am so used to Merlin's version that I wrongly assumed Asus carried it forward to their stock firmwares. So as been pointed out, for my use case, I do not need this done.

I wrongly assumed Asus carried it forward to their stock firmwares

They did, but in 388 firmware for AX-class routers. AC-class routers are on 386 firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!