What's new

AC68U in "Media" mode loses connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

douirc

New Around Here
Hi. I am using my AC68U in "media" mode connect to my computer via ethernet, to create a wireless connection with my wifi router.

Is there an always-on setting? When the router is working, it works well, speeds are fast and seems stable, but if I'm not actively using the connection it feels like the AC68U disconnects from the wifi router causing a delay when I need to use the internet. Is that possible? Any way to force the AC68U to always stay "connected" to the wifi router?

I'm not sure if this is actually the case, I just know that when I need to access the internet it's sometimes not there and I have to wait upwards of 30 seconds for it to come back.

Hi. I am using my AC68U in "media" mode connect to my computer via ethernet, to create a wireless connection with my wifi router.

Is there an always-on setting? When the router is working, it works well, speeds are fast and seems stable, but if I'm not actively using the connection it feels like the AC68U disconnects from the wifi router causing a delay when I need to use the internet. Is that possible? Any way to force the AC68U to always stay "connected" to the wifi router?

I'm not sure if this is actually the case, I just know that when I need to access the internet it's sometimes not there and I have to wait upwards of 30 seconds for it to come back.
I assume your computer OS is Windows. If so, then you’ll have to find the energy saving option for your Ethernet and disable.

If so, then you’ll have to find the energy saving option for your Ethernet and disable.
I dont think this is Ethernet Card issue. He said the brigde dont stay connected to the main router.So its between the Main and the bridge router.
Anyway, I have the same problem since always with my RT-Ac1900 (AC68) .Problem that I did not have with a RT-N66.It could remained connected for weeks without problem, and the 1900P loses the connection with the main router 3-4 times a day.(both bands)
If anyone has a solution, I'm interested

I dont think this is Ethernet Card issue. He said the brigde dont stay connected to the main router.So its between the Main and the bridge router.
Sanna1967: No what he said was, “... if I'm not actively using the connection it feels like the AC68U disconnects from the wifi router causing a delay when Ineed to use the internet.”douirc offered no words to make me believe it was definitely a loss of the bridge connection.

Sanna1967: No what he said was, “... if I'm not actively using the connection it feels like the AC68U disconnects from the wifi router causing a delay when Ineed to use the internet.”douirc offered no words to make me believe it was definitely a loss of the bridge connection.
apologies. I honestly don't know which it is, the ethernet port or the AC68U but my money is on the router, not the port, only because my computer hasn't gone to sleep. I could be using the computer and switch to a web browser to check a page only to realize I'm no longer connected. I'll check my macbook and it's connected fine and the internet is working. os is high sierra. thanks for the quick replies.

apologies. I honestly don't know which it is, the ethernet port or the AC68U but my money is on the router, not the port, only because my computer hasn't gone to sleep. I could be using the computer and switch to a web browser to check a page only to realize I'm no longer connected. I'll check my macbook and it's connected fine and the internet is working. os is high sierra. thanks for the quick replies.
Didn't say your computer was going to sleep, only the Ethernet. But now you say that the computer is a Mac, that's different. Is it correct to say you are using a Mac not a Windows computer?

I have a MacBook as well and I don't see or know of any setting to put just the Ethernet to sleep. Although you should have 'Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off' checked. Beyond that I just don't know.
Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 1.51.31 PM.JPG

agreed, i don't think it's the mac port. how about the AC68U? how reliable is it as a bridge in Media mode? have any experience with that?

I don't have any working knowledge of an ASUS media bridge, sorry.

Question: While you have the Mac attached via Ethernet is the Mac's WiFi enabled? If so, turn it off and see what happens.

Is it possible that when your ASUS solution no longer sees data traffic that it brings down the connection? Not sure why they would design something like that but it is possible.

Using your favorite web browser on your Mac, login to the ASUS at your end prior to doing anything requiring the internet and at a point in time when you think the issue should be there. Review the system log and status of interfaces. Once you done that, then try, in another browser window, to access the internet. Advise as to your observations.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!