What's new

AC68u issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

difference

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I have an Asus AC68u.
Fiber LAN connection (Com Hem, Sweden)

Ever since we moved to this house in January Internet connection is lost every other day. Last week at leat once a day.

It goes down any hour in the day and stays down for 30 min to 4 hours. Or until router is rebooted.

Last days I have plugged in a PC directly to the wall (not through the router) when Internet connection has went down. And the connection on that PC has worked just fine. At the same time I sat with my WiFi connected phone and saw that it had no connection during the while time. I then restart the router and all works.

So I really suspect the router.

I run asus standard firmware. At the moment the latest one, 3.0.0.4.378_4585.

What do you guys think about this problem?

First I found a thread about Plex Media Server taking down WAN. So I shut PMS down yesterday. But WAN went down just an hour ago again. :(

Forgot to mention about the logs. I can't see anything special. Not much at all actually. It just shows connections from devices and NTP updates.

I even logged in via ssh to the router and checked /tmp/syslog.log but couldn't see anything special or much. Guess it's the same as in the GUI.

You can try merlin's firmware since it does fix some of the bugs. Aside from that try to see about reducing heat and load onto your router. try enabling/disabling hardware acceleration.

If you connect to internet using something like PPP decrease the redial period and also check that scheduling isnt used.

Hi guys,

I have an Asus AC68u.
Fiber LAN connection (Com Hem, Sweden)

Ever since we moved to this house in January Internet connection is lost every other day. Last week at leat once a day.

It goes down any hour in the day and stays down for 30 min to 4 hours. Or until router is rebooted.

Last days I have plugged in a PC directly to the wall (not through the router) when Internet connection has went down. And the connection on that PC has worked just fine. At the same time I sat with my WiFi connected phone and saw that it had no connection during the while time. I then restart the router and all works.

So I really suspect the router.

I run asus standard firmware. At the moment the latest one, 3.0.0.4.378_4585.

What do you guys think about this problem?

First I found a thread about Plex Media Server taking down WAN. So I shut PMS down yesterday. But WAN went down just an hour ago again. :(

I am living in Sweden also with Fiber (Bredbandsbolaget, unfortunately...)

Using AC68U with Merlins 378.53.

No problems here with it. You may need to do some troubleshooting (reset, enable one feature at a time, test...) not easy but might be the only way.

I don't use Plex.

I will try Merlin. Latest?
The router seem to not be warm.
I did a factory reset the other day and just enabled WiFi and changes SSIDs. Nothing more.

What is PPP?

Just a thought. Ate there any known issues with PS4? It has been in sleep mode for the last week's. Which means it is connected and does updates etc.

I will try Merlin. Latest?
The router seem to not be warm.
I did a factory reset the other day and just enabled WiFi and changes SSIDs. Nothing more.

What is PPP?

Just a thought. Ate there any known issues with PS4? It has been in sleep mode for the last week's. Which means it is connected and does updates etc.

You have fiber, so PPP is not an issue for you. :)

I have PS4 on my network without problems (using PS4 standby mode, not off).

BTW. After installation of Merlin. I should do a reset of the router, right?
How do I do that the correct way? Last time I held down the reset button for a while. But all LEDs were the same all the time. The power LED started blinking. I thought it had not reset. But all settings were lost so I guessed it did reset. Is that the correct way?

The issue may not be with the medium but could also be with the PPP servers deployed by the ISP. So far ive only seen mikrotik routerOS able to scan connected networks for PPP servers and even connect to multiple PPP servers at the same time from the same ISP.

If resetting the router and reinstalling the firmware doesnt work than you could try playing with the WAN settings and maybe even lower the TCP settings. Try check to see if a device on your network is causing a problem and also check your wifi settings. Sometimes wifi power saving options can cause the router to be unresponsive and hang.

Should I do the reset before or after installing Merlin? And how do I do the reset?

Always do the reset to factory defaults after flashing new firmware, not before.

Use the gui, don't have to rely on flashing lights and such to know when it is done. ;)

Always do the reset to factory defaults after flashing new firmware, not before.

Use the gui, don't have to rely on flashing lights and such to know when it is done. ;)
I updated to latest Merlin and did factory reset in GUI.

Hi guys,

Now the internet connection went down again, for all devices connected to the router. Cabled and wireless. :(

I am at the moment sitting by a laptop connected directly in to anogher port on the fiber media converter. Which just works fine. A restart of the router and everything will be fine, again.

I'm getting sick of this.

I installed Merlin latest, did a factory reset and just enabled wireless. Also opened up one port for remote desktop.

Hi guys,

Now the internet connection went down again, for all devices connected to the router. Cabled and wireless. :(

I am at the moment sitting by a laptop connected directly in to anogher port on the fiber media converter. Which just works fine. A restart of the router and everything will be fine, again.

I'm getting sick of this.

I installed Merlin latest, did a factory reset and just enabled wireless. Also opened up one port for remote desktop.

Sounds like it's time to call Asus and get a replacement router to try.

Sounds like it's time to call Asus and get a replacement router to try.
Will they give me one just like that? And send it to me before I send mine in?
Maybe I can even get one from a store here I Stockholm?

Can I tell them that I've tried both latest Asus FW and Merlin?

EDIT:
I bought it at Webhallen. They seem to have their own warranty. Maybe I can get a new one directly from them. But they charge 250 SEK if they can't find an issue with it. So how sure can I be that it's faulty? Maybe better to contact Asus.

Last edited:
Will they give me one just like that? And send it to me before I send mine in?
Maybe I can even get one from a store here I Stockholm?

Can I tell them that I've tried both latest Asus FW and Merlin?

EDIT:
I bought it at Webhallen. They seem to have their own warranty. Maybe I can get a new one directly from them. But they charge 250 SEK if they can't find an issue with it. So how sure can I be that it's faulty? Maybe better to contact Asus.

You have a 2 year warranty with Asus, but I would put the regular Asus firmware back on the router before sending it to them and not mention the Merlin part.

You have a 2 year warranty with Asus, but I would put the regular Asus firmware back on the router before sending it to them and not mention the Merlin part.
But if I get a new one from asus Asus. It can be a used fixed one right? If I go to Webhallen I probably get a brand new one. The question is, which is best. Haha.

Hi guys,

The temperatures in the router are:
Legend: 2.4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Current Temperatures: 50 °C - 55 °C - 77 °C

Is 77 for the CPU too high?

Also: Is there anyway I can find the routers serial number by logging onto it?

Hi again, and sorry for spamming.

Just called Asus support Sweden. Told them about the situation and that the CPU is almost 80 degrees Celsius in idle. He immediately said that I should go to Webhallen and pick up a new one.

The temperature should be fine if its below 80C. Mine was well above 80 and ran fine but froze once in a while till i stuck a fan on it. Many of the AC68U ran around 80C.

I think the main problem with the AC68U is when they placed the heatsink because technically it should run cooler than the AC87 like design since the heat has a place to escape but it doesnt.

Hi guys. Got it back a few weeks ago. They couldn't find any issues.

Asus then told me to try another socket outlet. And it works fine since then. A few days ago I tried to apply a few other devices to the same outlet. Then the same issue with the router occurred again. So I immediately out it in its own outlet again and no problem seen.

Is this common?

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk