What's new

AC68U/P Router/Repeater setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So I’m getting ready to take the REP back to factory setting and re-setup the connection to the RTR.
Quick question...
When I take it back to factory, do I apply Merlin before or after manually redoing all the settings (repeated setup, etc)?

Sent using my handheld communicator

So I’m getting ready to take the REP back to factory setting and re-setup the connection to the RTR.
Quick question...
When I take it back to factory, do I apply Merlin before or after manually redoing all the settings (repeated setup, etc)?
Doing a factory default reset doesn't change the firmware version, it only wipes out the settings. So unless you're planning on installing a different firmware version...

Doing a factory default reset doesn't change the firmware version, it only wipes out the settings. So unless you're planning on installing a different firmware version...

He’s going from stock to Merlin if I’m not mistaken.

He’s going from stock to Merlin if I’m not mistaken.
Really? I did check back through the thread before I posted but couldn't spot anything that said he was. Probably just missed it.

I did notice this though:
I’ve removed Merlin, reset to factory, reinstalled Merlin, applied saved config, all to no avail.
Which, if taken at face value, was a pointless exercise. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding his terminology.

Think it is that easy:
When he said factory reset he (like many others new to these routers) meant that the system will load ORIGINAL firmware back which it has been delivered with (from some ROM or whatever, could be a secured part of NVRAM too) ...
(oh forgot 32MB NVRAM for firmware will double costs of a router)

Thats what is meant with FACTORY reset since ever, but they changed terminology.

What is done here is just a reset to defaults, nothing more or less, nothing to do with factory, but sounds "better", all only marketing wording without any technical background!
I know I'm old fashioned, but have same problems with changing wording.

But even worse, factory is not even deletes everything, it should be renamed to newer initialize (w/o deleting logs).

Maybe my wording? When I say factory, I mean is what it comes with from the store. The ASUS original, latest firmware, which gives you the Asus web setup. I’ll call that the storefront.
When I go to set it up manually as a REPEATER and all my specific ips, etc, to make it work in my network, I wondered if I should get it all setup first using the Asus storefront and then apply Merlin afterwards, OR apply Merlin right after I take it back to factory, and use the Merlin storefront to do the setup.
Hope that’s clearer.

FYI The Asus supplied firmwares are usually referred to as "stock" firmware.

You cannot "remove" a firmware because that implies there is some older firmware hidden underneath the current one that will magically reappear. When you install a firmware it overwrites the current one. If you want to go back to stock Asus firmware from Merlin's you have to flash it over the top of what's currently installed.

If you install stock Asus firmware followed by Merlin's firmware then the first part (installing stock firmware) is pointless because you've just overwritten one with the other.

The firmware (the operating system if you like) is stored separately from the user configuration settings (username, password, SSID, etc.), do not confuse the two. It is possible to load a different firmware version but still retain the user settings from before. However, whenever you encounter problems you can't fix the first recommendation is to erase the user settings (a "factory default restore") and reenter them manually.

When I say factory, I mean is what it comes with from the store. The ASUS original, latest firmware, which gives you the Asus web setup.
Both Asus' and Merlin's firmware will give you the initial web setup dialog after you have done a "factory default restore", not after you have loaded a new firmware.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor I kind of just read between the lines.

@Digitald00d How’s your new setup working out? Asking because another forum member was facing the same issue, whenever the main router goes offline the repeaters starts issuing the DHCP/DNS and can’t recover after the main router is back up.

@ColinTaylor I kind of just read between the lines.

@Digitald00d How’s your new setup working out? Asking because another forum member was facing the same issue, whenever the main router goes offline the repeaters starts issuing the DHCP/DNS and can’t recover after the main router is back up.

Busy week! Should have this done by Sunday. Will report back then.

Reactions: kfp
FYI The Asus supplied firmwares are usually referred to as "stock" firmware.

You cannot "remove" a firmware because that implies there is some older firmware hidden underneath the current one that will magically reappear. When you install a firmware it overwrites the current one. If you want to go back to stock Asus firmware from Merlin's you have to flash it over the top of what's currently installed.

If you install stock Asus firmware followed by Merlin's firmware then the first part (installing stock firmware) is pointless because you've just overwritten one with the other.

The firmware (the operating system if you like) is stored separately from the user configuration settings (username, password, SSID, etc.), do not confuse the two. It is possible to load a different firmware version but still retain the user settings from before. However, whenever you encounter problems you can't fix the first recommendation is to erase the user settings (a "factory default restore") and reenter them manually.

Both Asus' and Merlin's firmware will give you the initial web setup dialog after you have done a "factory default restore", not after you have loaded a new firmware.

Ok. Seems logical, so see if I get this right.
After several Merlin upgrades, and if things seem somewhat quirky, the pertinent thing to do is leave Merlin as is, erase my user settings, then manually reconfigure the device as I had it setup before (REPEATER).

I’ve already erased my user settings before, but never manually configured. I applied a config file that I had saved prior. Maybe that’s my problem?? Reapplying the problem via the config file??

Here is what I do. Pick the firmware you want. Merlin or stock. Go to your REP and install. When it finishes I choose Initialize. This puts everything back original and starts with the setup screens.
Choose Manual - Reapter mode - connect to your main router - and I like to use 192.168.1.2 so I set IP manually. Then set your SSIDs.
It is very simple to set up a repeater so I don't use old configurations.

Ok. Seems logical, so see if I get this right.
After several Merlin upgrades, and if things seem somewhat quirky, the pertinent thing to do is leave Merlin as is, erase my user settings, then manually reconfigure the device as I had it setup before (REPEATER).
Correct.

I’ve already erased my user settings before, but never manually configured. I applied a config file that I had saved prior. Maybe that’s my problem?? Reapplying the problem via the config file??
Exactly.

Ok. Done. So new Merlin just so happen to come out. I upgraded to new Merlin, used the Initialize button to reset it to factory defaults. Initialize seems like it erases more. Then I manually reconfigured it to be a REPEATER. After all done, I’ve reconnected my iPhone to the 2G wireless. Time will tell if my iPhone still has the slowness from wake up and spinning issue from hooking to the 2G REP network.
PS-I haven’t touched the RTR except for also upgrading to the new Merlin.

One other thing I changed, or maybe I had it that way before, can’t remember, is the 2G channel bandwidth to 40 and channel to 11. Hopefully not an issue.

Weeeelllllll....that didn’t take long. Same issue. Was running an app on the iPhone, spin, spin, spin when retrieving app data. Swipe up, disconnect wireless, reconnect wireless, then it’s fine.
Disconnected from REP 2G and connected to REP 5G and the iPhone apps work fine.

Open to suggestions.

I’ve tried 5 and 6 and newest stock. Same problem. Only with iPhone on 11.4.1. I’m now trying 384.4_2. Haven’t had the problem yet but who knows.
A weird thing w 384.4_2. 2.4 will not hold the wireless settings for channel or 20/40 or N only. Looks like it does but when you go back the settings don’t stick. Checked w the Roku. Set to channel 6. No dice
5 works fine no problems. All settings hold.

I’ve tried 5 and 6 and newest stock. Same problem. Only with iPhone on 11.4.1. I’m now trying 384.4_2. Haven’t had the problem yet but who knows.
A weird thing w 384.4_2. 2.4 will not hold the wireless settings for channel or 20/40 or N only. Looks like it does but when you go back the settings don’t stick. Checked w the Roku. Set to channel 6. No dice
5 works fine no problems. All settings hold.

Didn’t realize this. Just tried all this on mine. Same thing. /scratches head/

Was connected to the REP 5G wireless overnight with iPhone. This morning, had to kickstart the 5G connection just like I’ve been having to the 2G connection. Swipe up, disconnect wireless network, reconnect, then it works.
Have you ever tried flashing the REP back to Asus and running it instead of Merlin?
Would there be any issue with doing that and leaving the RTR with Merlin?
Thought I’d ask before moving on towards making the REP a MEDIA SERVER instead.

Have you ever tried flashing the REP back to Asus and running it instead of Merlin?
Ooops! Missed the part where you said you just tried stock! Guess I’ll skip that part and move towards the media server.
Seems a shame to waste the wireless part of a two device setup.
Maybe time to research different devices?

Ok, THAT was a futile effort.
Initialized the REP. Setup as a MEDIA SERVER this time. Same parameters I used when setup as a REP. I manually plugged all values in. When it came up, and I logged in, everything looked familiar. Wireless settings were gone...I expected this. The network indicated it was available at 5G, 1300M connect rate. BIG difference is.....I could NOT get it to connect via 5G to the RTR. Went to the router and changed some of the 5G settings to auto, etc. thinking maybe there's something the MS needed and the RTR 5G was set incorrectly. Even tried to connect the MS via 2G to the RTR. No dice. No matter what, as a MS it would not connect to RTR.

So I initialized the MS and set it up again as a REP with my well memorized parameters. Now the 5G connects fine just as before. Even when going to the RTR and changing the 5G auto settings to something else, the REP did not lose connectivity.
Just weird! I really like these routers and their versatility, but that versatility has to work. I may start looking at a Ubiquity solution.

Still open to any suggestions or "did you try...".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!