What's new

AC68U/P Router/Repeater setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can u change channels etc on 32738 on the repeater? I tried everything w no luck on mine. Links did nothing.
Cannot change channels on REP. Musta been a feature that was fixed.
You can change channel on repeater!
Of course not the the band used for repeater mode connected to the main router, this must be same as main otherwise there couldnt be any connection!

Other band is set to auto-channel by default, but can be changed useing SSH to repeater, wl0 for 2G or wl1 for 5G, channel/bandwith, here setting 5G to channel 52 and 80MHz bandwith:
xxx@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram set wl1_chanspec=52/80
xxx@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram commit
xxx@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# service restart_wireless
Just reconfigured mine and working like this (didnt test if it will survive reboot).

Last edited:
upload_2018-9-1_13-55-26.png

Thats on 21140 in Repeater mode. All you have to do is click the SSID at the top. You can change channels bandwidth whatever. Also I am connected to the main router on channel 157. I can change the repeater to any channel I choose and it works. Doesn't have to stay on 157 same as main router.
32738 doesn't let you click the SSIDs at the top and make changes. If you click them they don't do anything.

another possibility could work too if you call this site directly: "repeater_IP"/Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp

Didn't think of that. I couldn't tell any difference between the 2 firmwares so I just dropped back to 21140.

UPDATE: With my current setup (read the thread), I STILL was getting the occasional spinning and had to do the swipe-up ritual.
Have now just updated iPhone to latest iOS Beta 12. Seems the iOS 12 Final is due out mid-September so maybe I’ve just installed a version real close. Hope this alleviates my issue. Time will tell.

UPDATE: With my current setup (read the thread), I STILL was getting the occasional spinning and had to do the swipe-up ritual.
Have now just updated iPhone to latest iOS Beta 12. Seems the iOS 12 Final is due out mid-September so maybe I’ve just installed a version real close. Hope this alleviates my issue. Time will tell.
Been over a week for me on the Beta and haven't had to toggle. What firmware are you using for the repeater? Curious if Grisu's idea to call this site directly: "repeater_IP"/Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp would work on 32738.

Been over a week for me on the Beta and haven't had to toggle. What firmware are you using for the repeater? Curious if Grisu's idea to call this site directly: "repeater_IP"/Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp would work on 32738.

I’m on 32738 on both. I tried Grisu’s idea and it does work. After wife saw how fast apps and web sites fire up on Beta 12, well, I’m currently updating her phone too. After hours tech work!

Well, day 1. Sitting overnight, connected to problem 2G network. Both iPhones accessed the internet without the swiping routine. No spinning, waiting, slowness, etc. Worked like one would expect. You were right TAR, definitely an iPhone issue.
One bonus I see, people are gonna really like iOS 12. Extremely fast. I’m on 6s Plus and wow!!
Will continue to test and report but looks good so far!! [emoji106][emoji106]

Glad it works. The toggling gets OLD! On my setup 5G is a little faster if that’s an option to try and connect to.
Grisu I would not have thought of the direct way to access the WiFi settings.
iOS 12 is like getting a new phone.

UPDATE: Currently on the road. While on the road, I use an ATT Mobley for my internet connection. On iPhone iOS 11.x, I use to lose connection overnight. Always blamed the Mobley. I’d unplug and replug the Mobley to reestablish connection. Sound familiar to the swipe up/down reconnect method? I probably could have just used the swipe method to reestablish connection, but I always blamed the Mobley. Anyway, as with my Asus REP/RTR setup, this new iOS 12 reconnects every morning without any problems. On the road now for 4 days and haven’t had to unplug the Mobley or do any network disconnect/connect to reestablish the iPhone/Mobley connection. The iOS 12 IS like getting a new phone...and especially with the speed it pulls up web sites.

UPDATE: Currently on the road. While on the road, I use an ATT Mobley for my internet connection. On iPhone iOS 11.x, I use to lose connection overnight. Always blamed the Mobley. I’d unplug and replug the Mobley to reestablish connection. Sound familiar to the swipe up/down reconnect method? I probably could have just used the swipe method to reestablish connection, but I always blamed the Mobley. Anyway, as with my Asus REP/RTR setup, this new iOS 12 reconnects every morning without any problems. On the road now for 4 days and haven’t had to unplug the Mobley or do any network disconnect/connect to reestablish the iPhone/Mobley connection. The iOS 12 IS like getting a new phone...and especially with the speed it pulls up web sites.
Hi, would you mind edit your 1st post to clearly explain your setup? I set my REP to be the same SSID with its RTR, but when my Note8 connected to REP it got an exclamation mark (yes, just knew where my phone connected to thanks to that exclamation mark!)

From your posts, I think this is your setup?
RTR: 2G (SSID-2G) (not be repeated, just broadcasts as a normal AP)
5G (SSID-5G)
||
|| [Repeated by]
REP: 5G (SSID-5G) -> same SSID as RTR
2G (REP-2G) (no repeating, just broadcasts as a normal AP)

So, did you set the REP's 5G channel on different/same channel of RTR's 5G? Or did you just let the REP config automatically?

Hi, would you mind edit your 1st post to clearly explain your setup? I set my REP to be the same SSID with its RTR, but when my Note8 connected to REP it got an exclamation mark (yes, just knew where my phone connected to thanks to that exclamation mark!)

From your posts, I think this is your setup?
RTR: 2G (SSID-2G) (not be repeated, just broadcasts as a normal AP)
5G (SSID-5G)
||
|| [Repeated by]
REP: 5G (SSID-5G) -> same SSID as RTR
2G (REP-2G) (no repeating, just broadcasts as a normal AP)

So, did you set the REP's 5G channel on different/same channel of RTR's 5G? Or did you just let the REP config automatically?

Here’s my setup. This has been the setup through the entire process. Manual setup...

RTR: In the out building, connected via Ethernet to my wireless provider. DNS manually entered and are ips from provider.
IP: 192.168.1.1
5G SSID: k33p0ut5R (hidden)
2G SSID: k33p0utR (hidden)

REP: In the house. Extension connects to RTR 5G SSID. REP SSIDs are different from RTR SSIDs. DNS manually entered but same as entered on RTR.
IP: 192.168.1.2
5G SSID: k33p0ut5 (not hidden)
2G SSID: k33p0ut (not hidden)

I didn’t let the REP configure automatically because it’s a pain afterwards to figure out the ip in order to log into it. Hope this helps.

So, did you set the REP's 5G channel on different/same channel of RTR's 5G? Or did you just let the REP config automatically?[/QUOTE]

I set router and repeater channels manually. 6 on 2G and 157 on 5G works best for me on both. Depending on the firmware you use you may have to use http://192.168.1.?/Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp to access the wireless channel settings on the repeater.
Credit to Grisu because I would have never thought of that.
Change the ? to the IP address of your repeater.

I didn’t let the REP configure automatically because it’s a pain afterwards to figure out the ip in order to log into it. Hope this helps.
I set repeater WAN to fix DHCP-IP on main router, so it alway gets my defined IP even with auto-configure, same IP I get with Aimesh. Maybe because my both Aimesh routers are in AP-mode and DHCP is set on modemrouter.

Thanks, Digitald00d. So the better method would still be setting different SSIDs/channels.

However, I tried setting mine to same SSID/channel. And just a little time later, the main RTR wireless signals became suddenly very weak. Logged into the RTR and I saw its CPUs got aggressive, spiked up and down continuously. Rebooted it and both SSIDs disappeared. Did a factory reset and only the 5G showed up with a very weak signal. Did not see any glitches in the webgui, but the 2G SSID never came up. Reflashed 384.6 and the issue was still there. So, I used Asus Restoration Tool to flash an old stock firmware, and now it hasn't boot up.

That's strange, I have a feeling the radio got damaged somehow.

After re-reading your question and my answer, I realized I never actually answered your question. Sorry ‘bout that!
I have different SSIDs but same channels. I set my 2G channels to 11 and my 5G channels to 159 (or 158. Not current at home so can’t see config). That seems to work best in my situation.

Thanks grisu, I’ll give that a try upon returning home.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!