What's new

AC68U web interface still not working even after 18 hours

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A Purohit

Occasional Visitor
Did an upgrade from 384.19 to 386.3_2 yesterday. I was waiting until I had some fans on the router, which is why I waited this long (mixed info about temperature issues from the upgrade).

Anyway, upgrade completed with no issues 18 hours ago, but web interface is still not accessible. Router is working otherwise (connections and data is being delivered without issues)... just can't get to the gui. SSH is enabled, so I can see the uptime (hence I know it's 18 hours) and load average (over 200!)

Funny thing is, if I run "top" I don't see much CPU utilization (less than 1% even while I'm streaming video on a TV). And CPU temperature is fine as well (57C, which is what I was seeing before the upgrade).

I don't have anything crazy in the setup. It's just setup as a basic router, no VPN, no USB connected right now (I normally have one, but removed it before the upgrade just in case), no logging and such. Pretty simple setup, so that shouldn't be an issue either, I don't think.

How much longer should I continue waiting? Or do I just bite the bullet and do a hard reset?

I gave up waiting last night and did a hard reset (after waiting for 24 hours). Everything is back up and running now.

I did find that I was able to configure without issues, until after I setup Wifi or after I disabled WPS. When I did both of these, the GUI would go non-responsive again. I let it sit overnight this way, and it recovered fine... still weird that it happened after these changes both times (I hard-reset both times). I don't think it's a timing thing, becuase the first time I did the wireless setup first, while the second time I did everything else first... particularly setting up SSH so I could see the loads when GUI was down. Weird, but it's working now.

That being said, if I do a hard reset again in the future with a new firmware, does this mean I will AGAIN see this 1-to-XX hour GUI issue? In other words, is this going to happen every time we load 386 (and maybe newer) versions?

Do we know why this happens? I hear it's some database that is being converted or something, but after a reset, what "database" is present? I would think there's nothing there to "convert", so what is it doing for so long?

That being said, if I do a hard reset again in the future with a new firmware, does this mean I will AGAIN see this 1-to-XX hour GUI issue? In other words, is this going to happen every time we load 386 (and maybe newer) versions?
No. The long delay people were referring to is a one-off process when migrating (an internal database) from a 384.x firmware to a 386.x firmware. Once your are using 386.x subsequent updates (or configuring after a factory reset) should not incur any delays.

That make sense, but doesn't a hard-reset clear any such database anyway? So why does a fresh install and hard reset still take time to "process"?

I guess I'm just wondering, what database is this that's not cleared with the reset? Maybe I'm getting too in-the-weeds with this question, but I am just curious.

Your experience doesn't sound the same as this known process. It sounds like you have a different problem, and it's not one I've seen anyone else report.

I my case i had media server working and external drive with movies attached. I believe that was the issue.

Your experience doesn't sound the same as this known process. It sounds like you have a different problem, and it's not one I've seen anyone else report.
Hmm, ok, then I'd like to know what I might be doing wrong? I agree, if upgrading from a previous version that there is a conversion that could take some time. Although, I question, what would take hours? I mean if it's just settings, that shouldn't take so long?

But, I've seen from a few posts that this happens on the first boot even after a full reset. Maybe I misunderstood.

To recap, I installed 386.3_2 as an upgrade. It took too long to complete whatever it does for the upgrade (note I have no logging, no JFFS, and also had no USB drive connected at this time). So then I did a full reset, which required me to manually setup all the settings (no restores or any tricks - did it by-hand). The GUI worked at first, but as soon as I flipped the switch to disable WPS, that's when the GUI stopped working (got stuck there "applying settings" from this change). I then repeated a hard reset and enabled SSH first, so I could watch the loads. Again, when I disabled WPS the GUI stopped working. Via SSH I could see the load for the first 15 minutes or so was 2+ (according to top and uptime) throughout, but the GUI only stopped working after the WPS switch was flipped - weird. Going to the router fresh didn't work, nor did any other GUI page.

During this time, routing worked fine... so I left it alone overnight, and it recovered... WPS did actually switch off as instructed, and everything is working fine now. Again, if I did something wrong, please do let me know.

I my case i had media server working and external drive with movies attached. I believe that was the issue.

I left my drive disconnected the entire time... didn't want that to be a factor. However, if this remains "cached" in the router it could explain the delay on the upgrade, I suppose. I don't serve a lot of videos this way, but I do have a "NAS" drive connected this way, so there are files. As you suggested, maybe this is what causes the delay during upgrade. It still doesn't answer why a hard-reset setup also takes time, that's what I'm wondering about.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!