What's new

AC86u adds 10ms

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dahyippur

Occasional Visitor
Been playing around with a pair of ac86u routers I just picked up. Something happens with this router that I don't really understand. Started testing my ping to various servers, this is what I've found:

42ms riotgames / 32ms google.com -PC wired directly to EU2251 modem
42ms riotgames / 32ms google.com -PC wired to ac68u (386.1_0 Merlin)
52ms riotgames / 22ms google.com -PC wired to ac86u (386.2_beta2 Merlin)
52ms riotgames / 22ms google.com -PC wired to ac86u (3.0.0.4.384_81049 Stock)

The last 2 are different routers, same hw revision, built one year apart. No idea how the game server can be higher but google is lower, but I wish it was reversed! Has anyone seen something like this before?

Most likely different WAN IP space. Different routing on ISP side+cloud services.
Hard to blame the routers considering the results.

Most likely different WAN IP space. Different routing on ISP side+cloud services.
Hard to blame the routers considering the results.

Looks like you were right. I see now that each router model gets assigned a different automatic wan ip. I set an ac86u to a static wan ip using the info that gets automatically assigned to the ac68u, and the ping times changed as you might expect. No idea how long I should expect this to last.

Now I want to know how a different model of router gets assigned a different ip!? Without fail they automatically get the same addresses that cause the routing described in op

Using a static WAN IP will eventually stop working once your ISP reassigns that IP to another customer. To stop that happening make a note of the MAC address of your old router's WAN interface. Then clone that MAC address onto the WAN interface of your new router and change the interface type back to automatic. Reboot everything and your new router should pickup the IP address that was assigned to your old router.

Alternatively, clone the MAC address of the PC that you previously connected directly to the EU2251 (just click the MAC Clone button). That will give you a different IP address but it should be the one that also gave you a 42ms response.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!