What's new

AC86U died?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lucrabbit

Occasional Visitor
Today my AC86U died all of a sudden. None of the LED lit up. Tried all reset etc. and none worked. Anyone has similar experience?

The router is just a little bit over two years old.

Was it a 2018 model? @OzarkEdge has a story to tell you. :(

Today my AC86U died all of a sudden. None of the LED lit up. Tried all reset etc. and none worked. Anyone has similar experience?

The router is just a little bit over two years old.

I've had two 2018 China builds die with a half lit LAN4 LED. Asus replaced one; I replaced the other... with 2020 Vietnam builds.

OE

@OE yes, it's a 2018 made in China model. I also double checked it had exactly a half lit LAN4 LED!!!
What shall I do? I bought it at the end of 2018 so it just passed two years warranty mark. Guess I am just unlucky.....

@OE yes, it's a 2018 made in China model. I also double checked it had exactly a half lit LAN4 LED!!!
What shall I do? I bought it at the end of 2018 so it just passed two years warranty mark. Guess I am just unlucky.....

It might be worth calling Asus tech support and politely explain your disappointment and see if they will rule in your favor. These failures rightfully deserve warranty replacement, imo.

OE

Last edited:
Thanks OE! It doesn't hurt to give it a try.

If I need to buy another router, what will be the recommended model? I know this is an ASUS forum. I was debating between AX86 and RAX120. I know these two are not really apple to apple comparison but the AC86U died only after two years shakes my confidence level about ASUS quality control and reliability. My old R7000 (which I am using now) from 7-8 years ago is still going strong!

The 2018 RT-AC86U model is an off-case. Only early RT-AC66U models from many years ago have shown that kind of behavior. And even then, not enough out of all that I supported to really call them 'duds' either. Many RT-AC66U 'originals' are still in use today (mostly in Media Bridge mode for my customers).

Alright. Just called Asus and got transferred to the out of warranty department. The lady wouldn't do anything other than software troubleshooting. She suggested me to send the router back for $15 shipping + $85 diagnosis fee + labor (can you believe this for a router selling new for ~$150?)!

Well, as much as I like this forum as I got so much valuable advice from here, maybe it's time to look for a switch with a Netgear product.

Your call, but get an @Voxel supported model and same forum. :D

I can really sympathise with your dilemma. But, playing devils advocate, who is to say that your next non-ASUS router won’t be a ‘lemon’?
As with everything that is mass produced, there are bound to be failures. I am very biased towards ASUS, on the whole I have found their products very reliable. And with Merlin on my router it’s the ’mutts nuts’.
Obviously if you buy new, whatever brand you choose, you will have a warranty

You pay the money and take the chance.

I work in the tech industry and had experiences in such decision making process. I just considered Asus handled this poorly.

- You knew you product(s) had a known defect
- The cost to recall might be too high so you took a calculated risk betting most won't fail within the warranty period (but the ones fail out of warranty could carry quite negative impact to brand once people find out, just like in this case)
- Therefore, the best strategy should still be helping customers who experience such failure even after warranty expires. I guess most folks expect their routers to last for at least a few years, and I doubt people will still file RMA for a 5 year old router either. ASUS deciding to not do anything for a product failed right out of warranty period for a known defect simply doesn't sit well with me.
- Yes, I looked up my options and they were limited - ASUS does make some of the best Wifi routers in the market, but I am not going to reward a company for its less-than-desired customer support (and decision making) in this case. I may be getting a lemon from non-ASUS brand but we will see - at least my R7000 hasn't failed me after 5+ years service and is powering my house while I am typing this.
- Just pulled trigger on a NG AX12 RAX120, that $ could have gone to a RT-AX11000. Good bye ASUS! Guess I will miss this forum for a while until RAX120 fails me (who knows), but until then I would like to thank everyone who had helped from the past.

Last edited:
Alright. Just called Asus and got transferred to the out of warranty department. The lady wouldn't do anything other than software troubleshooting. She suggested me to send the router back for $15 shipping + $85 diagnosis fee + labor (can you believe this for a router selling new for ~$150?)!

Well, as much as I like this forum as I got so much valuable advice from here, maybe it's time to look for a switch with a Netgear product.
I had one that died the same death. I was able to sell it on Ebay "for parts-not working" for $40 plus shipping. There are folks out there that can fix them apparently.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online