What's new

Ac86u Help! Refused connection multiple devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slimcraigy

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone please help at my whit's end. My ac86u is refusing connection across multiple devices.
I have tried researching and then some. I can't pretend to understand some more sophisticated tech phrases.

Basically I have issues with connecting over wireless to the default gateway 192.168.1.1 in my case. Refused connection except ethernet on reboots to PC. Ethernet inconveniently located in front of tele in front room.
Never had an issue until day 2. Not long for a problem to occur. Was ok after I rebooted the next day then messed up again.
Tried logging in and was refused to both my isp router/modem and this new router.
I am beginning to suspect my ISP has something to do with it as I hadn't encountered a problem until I mentioned buying a 3rd party router to them on the phone.
Was on hold for suspicious amount of time after wanting another wifi pod.

They deny or don't know what i am on about. We cant/wouldn't block you.
They say that why not? I have pinged the gateway and been ok 4 packets in and out 0% loss.
Read something about the DHCP query being in aggressive mode not aiding matters till too late.
I don't really know DHCP does really but I do try and read but have never been tech minded.
My issue is I am thinking of returning this tried various resets hard normal etc. firmware always comes back to latest version even though hard reset should default it with updates off.

Read somewhere (are links allowed?) the 30 30 30 puts devices into firmware restoration mode.
That was AFTER I had tried it though. WPS hard reset method used afterwards to no avail still version 386.00? Asus stock.
Is it something my ISP has automatically blocked due to too many dhcp queries in too short a time? Whatever they are and do.
Basic as possible layman's would help.

Tried to look for answers but its across my phones and PC etc. Don't know how to use a vpn tunnel if you can home to home?
I am actually happier with my ISP router now there are wifi pods included and it seems to somehow be faster across more devices.
However I want this problem solving because if I have to return this router and get another along the road if/when my ISP one starts acting up or get mesh networking I don't want the same issues occuring.
Will they?
Maybe (I don't know if ISP providers names are allowed but the only competition vs these is 67mb vs (100mb - 1 gig connection)

Tried clearing cache different browsers etc.
I do have firewalls and amntivirus. Not on phone though.
read to disconnect app through phone due to security issues. re-enabled protection.
Will try my ISP provider forums in case they are blocking me.
Is flushing dns an option - is this extreme?
If it were just PC or whatever it wouldn't bother me but its phones and other devices too. Majority chrome but used other browsers cleared of history.

I don't know half the benefits of asus vs merlin vs ISP. It would be useful to have another router and I like the features and interface but don't know half what it is capable of. Bought due to it being easy powerful and good firmware support. been a bit disappointed with range and speed but maybe haven't found the perfect settings yet looked.

Sorry if a lot of info but lease help if possible it would be appreciated a lot.
Many thanks.

Honestly to tell you the damn 2.4Ghz radio interface on the AC86U might be the main cause of this problem! You might notice 5Ghz Wifi client continue working fine?

I have AC86U as aimesh node and the 2.4Ghz kept rejecting the 2.4Ghz Wifi client connection and/or the already connected 2.4Ghz wifi client would get no Internet at all

This problem is very mysterious that sometimes I thought AiMesh network issue but it looks like the network access point own operational issue (AiMesh node),,if you search around the AC86U is well-known for 2.4Ghz client disconnection/randomly drop issues

Most of the time I caught the issue on AC86U , I found only 5Ghz Wifi clients were the only wifi client remained connected on the AC86U and as I found this morning, I stood next to the AC86U and tried to connect to the 2.4Ghz and said could not connect!! WTF hahaha

Asus didn't fix it but still left the flawed AC86U 2.4Ghz issue in the market!!!

Hi jpthsd thanks for the reply.
Sorry to hear about your issue is with the 2.4ghz drop outs. So it could be a network access point issue?

Could you explain please if possible as simply as you can?
Is it something that can be fixed easily?
Any particular steps as I have never been naturally technologically minded. I try to read though a lot goes over my head.
That's bad you can't connect so close to it!
Sorry if this becomes a long post I put TMI most often.

Though I think both bands are working ok on mine.
I can't even go back to original spec firmware. Factory reset WPS method 30 30 30 etc. That may have put into auto update mode I read on a different forum at least for the 68u anyway. The Same latest firmware loads.

I took it out of modem mode and It worked ok alongside the other.
Did this when a plume based pod arrived from ISP which has helped range.

Do you have any other idea why this could be happening? Just 192.168.1.1 refused wirelessly but ok with cable and how to fix?
My ISP said they haven't blocked me.
Could it be the aggressive DHCP frequency thing could have caused it blocking me automatically.

This also helps in my decision to maybe send it back if it can't be fixed.
I don't want to have to plug in to the ethernet cable to access the gateway/ settings page in front of TV and everybody.

I made a stupid choice out of the Asus router range as it can't fit under TV unit.

It was a minefield for partially literate but still not a techie. ax56u 58u 88u. Bought for all features and firmware support and saw these forums for support too!

I did see videos to get it working faster required a bit of fiddling with settings to get speeds higher. Tried some.
Didn't notice a difference but it was not in modem mode at the time.
Theoretically it can be 750mb/s?

Was thinking of aimeshing maybe myself but it's an expensive mesh with problems as you pointed out so maybe a dedicated system would be better. Rbk50 on sale ATM for 170 or deco m9 plus? Linksys velop Tri band. Budget of £200ish.
Although I am happier with the pods ATM.

Will this mean all routers in future will cause my problem?

Tbh at one point something weird and magical happened with ISP. After DOWNGRADING from 1 gig to 600mb my ISP router plus pod speed and coverage everywhere in the house went up a lot. Intermittently still though. Why? What did they change? I'd like that speed back because...

I had to reboot my hub when resetting with the Asus and was gutted speeds at 1/3 now of what they were. Why? Can't change hub channels without settings freezing/ a glitch appearing saying user already logged in.

Speed/range better than the Asus still ATM but very up and down. Not as smooth on speed test huge drops then increases. I expect a drop then increase but not this much. 5g much better than 2.4g in speed and probably range. How?
2.4 is slower but further reaching. During the magic time there was a good equilibrium. Most of my devices are older and 2.4g ATM and need updating really.
Money is tight though.

Sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it though
I couldn't resist resetting the Asus requiring a hub reboot (damn) to try to fix the issue.

I posted on another forum and they said put back in modem mode on my ISP router and connect in certain order which I did initially.
Disable HTTPS was another suggestion.

I want to fix it. It's getting on my nerves.

Already set up return process but am thinking if I do not sort problem now I will have problems with future routers Asus or other brands/mesh? I don't want to get in trouble with A****N for agreeing a return and attempting to get it working afterwards but feel it's my ONLY opportunity to diagnose the issue in case it's related to all Asus routers/ products.
I love the GUI etc. and features. It's a shame.

I am afraid if I put Merlin on I won't be able to restore to previous settings or original and return for money back if necessary.
Can Merlin increase speeds/range?

After everything I read and I read a lot before buying about this router and capabilities I am a bit disappointed with it and myself.
I don't know why it won't go back to default.

Can I load older firmware versions as factory reset does not put original firmware on. It was 384.something now 386. Latest Asus stock.

Hope someone can help me to get it to log in wirelessly.
I can then decide if I can maybe try aimesh or get a dedicated system. If I can afford another Asus router as some other dedicated systems are less expensive.

Regards Craig

Last edited:
Try this, in your AC86U , go to 2.4Ghz Wireless, in the bandwidth , is it currently 20/40Mhz? try to select either 20mhz or 40Mhz single bandwidth and see if it is improving.

I called Asus, they told me to do that on my AC86U AiMesh node (of course I must make the change on my AiMesh Router AX86U) to make the bandwith of 2.4Ghz either 20 or 40mhz but not dual bandwidth in 2.4Ghz wireless settings.

It seems to be improving very well.

20Mhz bandwidth gives 2.4Ghz better range coverage but slow speed
40Mhz bandwdith gives 2.4Ghz shorter range coverage but faster speed

In my case, it is improving! You might decide to try it yourself :)

Try this, in your AC86U , go to 2.4Ghz Wireless, in the bandwidth , is it currently 20/40Mhz? try to select either 20mhz or 40Mhz single bandwidth and see if it is improving.

I called Asus, they told me to do that on my AC86U AiMesh node (of course I must make the change on my AiMesh Router AX86U) to make the bandwith of 2.4Ghz either 20 or 40mhz but not dual bandwidth in 2.4Ghz wireless settings.

It seems to be improving very well.

20Mhz bandwidth gives 2.4Ghz better range coverage but slow speed
40Mhz bandwdith gives 2.4Ghz shorter range coverage but faster speed

In my case, it is improving! You might decide to try it yourself.

was talking about the ISP one V****N. Basically the best I can get in my area no competition.
Closest offer 60ish mbs.
I will try with the Asus again I don't Wana P off AZN though of I return it.
I just Wana connect no ethernet cable why is that so difficult all of a sudden since I told the ISP I had a 3rd party router.
Anyway thanks.

Hello everyone please help at my whit's end. My ac86u is refusing connection across multiple devices.

You have so many things wrong and I don't know where to start. Please describe in human readable form what equipment do you have (both ISP and yours with model numbers), how the ISP device is set (modem/router or modem only, what internal IP address, does it have Wi-Fi on/off), how the ISP devise is connected to your router (WAN/LAN port on your router, internal IP address of your router), what Wi-Fi SSIDs do you use and on what device. I have a feeling you have two routers on the same subnet with two DHCP servers and broadcasting who knows what Wi-Fi.

Will this mean all routers in future will cause my problem?

Yes, because you have no idea what are you doing. There is something called User Manual. Have you read it?

Last edited:
Hi Tech9 thanks for replying yes i am sorry I will try to be as concise as I know how.
I go off on tangents and apologise I will try to stick to relevant questions.
There are only 7 pages (total in English) and all just relevant to the setup part in the manual so may not have read it all but I thought looked at the time self explanatory though...
I did follow guidelines of others on websites to set it up No issues till virgin call.

Following information if read correctly from ipconfig.

My ISP equipment is a Virgin hub 4 set to router mode currently. Hub 4 internal ip address 192.168.0.1 with wifi on.
If internal ip address you mean my ipv4 address?
Model number I think (it says) Hub 4 TG3492LG-VM or S/N ABAP11560270
It is connected via WAN port to the Asus rtac86u.
The wifi SSID's are VM4852510 on Windows Vista laptop. using a Toshiba equuim p200 1-ed. MODEL PSPB5E-003004KS
ipv4 address LAN connection 1) 192.168.0.169 and 2) 192.168.0.229
(I use a network card and dongle for higher speed wifi)

Asus router ssid is just :- asus (all lower case) gateway 192.168.1.1 wifi on. Same for 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.
Asus model number I think S/N M3IUHN000824. Standard F/W 3.0.0.4.384 now 3.0.0.0.4.386_4470 (automatically updating?)
Asus ipv4 address 192.168.1.138

Also use a Huawei p8 Lite phone too that refuses connection. Same ssid's. Model PRA-LX1

The DHCP server thing I don't know what that does really to be honest. Tech stuff has always gone over my head whereas I can read other things such as biological science etc. and absorb information well.
I never know where to start and the most relevant things in the tech setup process.
Personal circumstances make me reclusive for many years so a lot of this may have passed me by without my knowledge.
As in previous post I turned off modem mode and router mode back on when I got a pod from Virgin to extend network into a makeshift mesh system via pods based on Plume.

I believe you are correct but I proved I don't know enough. I try.
Apologies if it doesn't include all relevant information at this time but can anything potentially dangerous please be deleted by a moderator.
I don't think there is but in case. Hopefully there is enough to get started?

Many thanks Tech9, regards Craig

It is connected via WAN port to the Asus rtac86u.
Just clarifying, your asus router is connected at the WAN port from the Virgin modem's LAN port. The Virgin modem is connected to the WAN. It sounds like you have independent wifi networks, doing their own thing. Does it work just to use the Virgin Hub in router mode w/wifi, without all this other equipment? Anyway, just my two cents, @Tech9 may have much more to say about this ss.

Last edited:
Hi Centrifuge thanks for replying.
yes at the moment hub 4 connected from LAN port 2 (the next down from where engineer installed the ethernet into first port/ WPS).
This leads to Asus WAN port.

Virgin hub works with WiFi with and without pods and can log into the hub at 192.168.0.1 wirelessly.

Yes probably they could be independent doing their own things.

I haven't put back in modem only mode on the virgin hub yet just in case it messes my pods up but will have to. Virgin were sending another then blamed an error. They were sending it. It's an excuse.

All good seemingly my 600mb connection can supply results of 650 to Asus via Ookla inside Asus router QoS test.
So think connection is solid enough touch wood.

The 1 routers on same subnet sounds likely to be the problem. They definitely are by the looks of it from ipconfig as well as the LAN network card and dongle.
I think connection one is the inbuilt adapter.
Connection 2 the dongle whether this contributes too I don't know.
Maybe likely running both in router modes as currently configured is incompatible.
Anyway thanks awaiting tech9s response too.
Thanks and regards Craig

The wifi SSID's are VM4852510 on Windows Vista laptop.
ipv4 address LAN connection 1) 192.168.0.169 and 2) 192.168.0.229

Hub 4 internal ip address 192.168.0.1
Asus router gateway 192.168.1.1
Asus ipv4 address 192.168.1.138

I'm sorry, I also can't make any connection here. We have to speak at least the same basic language to understand each other. I don't know what this Asus router is expected to do there. VM techs installed VM Hub with pods - some sort of home "mesh" system. I have no idea what this thing is and how it is configured. I know nothing about this Asus router's state and configuration. There is no 30-30-30 with Asuswrt routers. 384 firmware doesn't auto update to 386, as far as I can tell from my experiments with RT-AC86U. Reset doesn't restore previous firmware, but resets current firmware settings. Someone messed with this router for sure. The user manual is not 7 pages, but 137. It explains a lot of basics, for beginners. What you should do is call this VM "engineer" and tell him you want Wi-Fi. He will set it up for you with VM equipment and please don't touch anything.

Hi tech9 sorry I really am. I have been editing this now for hours and it's a long post.

It's the quick start guide that is 7 pages I can not see a manual in the box.
Please, please try to help if you can.

I really believe you are correct about the 2 routers on the same subnet with 2 DHCP servers. From my limited understanding it makes sense.

I really want to be able to fix this if you can guide me even if I left the work to a professional would be appreciated.

I did say I don't know tech terms but knew enough to set things up through wizards and knowledge a tiny bit beyond basic but looking on here I haven't. I still feel capable with correct instruction to a point.

I am trying to understand and speak the same language I really am.
Could tech9 or anybody tell me what I am saying wrong?
Was the information provided incorrect?
Hard to read?
Or have I missed information out?
I had to Google certain terms used such as "internal IP" but got from ipconfig in CMD.

I'm sorry if it's the lack of technical terms.
I think I set it up fine originally and it was me that upgraded firmware. I checked for updates anyway. I assumed after factory reset the f/w returned to default.

Will other settings now be default or just the firmware? Everything looks to be.

I found out that the external/ public address is much different. I'm trying to look what I missed out.
I said my SSID's were asus for the Asus.

I didn't say how I configured it but just followed the wizard with everything in automatic IP.

Would it help to reset again and tell you the exact configuration I used to set it up if I missed that out.
Everything set to default. Or auto.

Sorry if some info may not have been important.
This is basically my one last hope if I can't find answers here I can kiss goodbye to ANY future home network not ISP provided and I just really want to rectify this.

If I can't get it working optimally or at least back with stock firmware I may end up in trouble with retailer out of pocket or having to keep it not knowing what I did wrong when there may be a simple fix.
I can try to upload that version but I don't know.

I did read but am not going to attempt to input ipconfig/release and renew.
While I at least have one working network.
I did think there was a glimmer of hope.

I tried providing as much info as I could with what device I used and model numbers. If you meant what device's I should have said Laptop and phone maybe.
I thought you were asking for those models etc. I didn't know if that made a difference.

Gateways and subnets provided were correct the only other is ipv4. Which is all it ipconfig showed not ip address as when I googled instructions on how to find out.

Can I just upload the stock version back that came with it if it won't reset? Then at least I may get some money back for it though want to know what caused it.

I bought the Asus with the idea of it becoming my primary router instead of the bad speed/range VM provided then the pod came.

The hub 4 despite a 1 gig connection had worse 2.4g speed and range than the old hub. Wasn't great on 5g either.
The hub 3 had better performance on 100mb connection.

The Asus was bought to deliver better range and speed than hub 4 as it was really bad at first. The hub 3 people moan about.

The pods I got afterwards are a separate Virgin service you pay for or included free in higher packages to create so called intelligent WiFi or mesh WiFi that work with the VM hub and no other routers. Supposed to extend speed and range.

Also known as superpods from Plume without all the features.
They just plug into sockets like a range extender would but can be taken out easily.

I just would really like to know why it happened and if at all it can be fixed. I don't want to be out of pocket and out of mind.

I could have set up virgin myself the engineer was there to install a new box but the upgrade meant I needed a hub 4 not 3 to be capable of 1 gig speeds.

It's just the Asus I need help with properly. I just can't access the settings without the ethernet cable.

The only other things I may have done is accidentally logged in to the Asus while a VPN was on my browser.
Or if l had multiple tabs open and was already logged in.
That update firmware to latest and then took the Virgin Hub 4 out of modem mode when the pod arrived.

If somebody can tell me what I haven't said correctly I would appreciate it

I understand your frustration but think I could and have installed virgin equipment before myself. No engineer needed. He said getting your own router would be better in the first place.
Then said a mesh system would be better.

I have working WiFi ATM with virgin. It was/is a chance for investment and independence/ future proofing. I just want to know what I have done so l can avoid this issue in future as it will be present with other routers/ systems.
As far as returning it goes I need same stock firmware to get money back. I didn't know it didn't return back.

Thankyou

Hi tech9 sorry I really am. I have been editing this now for hours and it's a long post.

It's the quick start guide that is 7 pages I can not see a manual in the box.

Please, please try to help if you can.

I really believe you are correct about the 2 routers on the same subnet with 2 DHCP servers. From my limited understanding it makes sense.

I really want to be able to fix this if you can guide me even if I left the work to a professional would be appreciated.

I am trying to understand and speak the same language I really am.

Could tech9 or anybody tell me what I am saying wrong?

Was the information provided incorrect?

Hard to read?

Or have I missed information out?

I had to Google certain terms used such as "internal IP" but got from ipconfig in CMD.

I'm sorry if it's the lack of technical terms.

I think I set it up fine originally and it was me that upgraded firmware. I checked for updates anyway. I assumed after factory reset the f/w returned to default.

Will other settings now be default or just the firmware? Everything looks to be.

I found out that the external/ public address is much different. I'm trying to look what I missed out.

I said my SSID's were asus for the Asus.

I didn't say how I configured it but just followed the wizard with everything in automatic IP.

Would it help to reset again and tell you the exact configuration I used to set it up if I missed that out.

Everything set to default. Or auto.

Sorry if some info may not have been important.

This is basically my one last hope if I can't find answers here I can kiss goodbye to ANY future home network not ISP provided and I just really want to rectify this.

If I can't get it working optimally or at least back with stock firmware I may end up in trouble with retailer out of pocket or having to keep it not knowing what I did wrong when there may be a simple fix.

I can try to upload that version but I don't know.

I did read but am not going to attempt to input ipconfig/release and renew.

While I at least have one working network.

I did think there was a glimmer of hope.

I tried providing as much info as I could with what device I used and model numbers. If you meant what device's I should have said Laptop and phone maybe.

I thought you were asking for those models etc. I didn't know if that made a difference.

Gateways and subnets provided were correct the only other is ipv4. Which is all it ipconfig showed not ip address as when I googled instructions on how to find out.

Can I just upload the stock version back that came with it if it won't reset? Then at least I may get some money back for it though want to know what caused it.

I bought the Asus with the idea of it becoming my primary router instead of the bad speed/range VM provided then the pod came.

The hub 4 despite a 1 gig connection had worse 2.4g speed and range than the old hub. Wasn't great on 5g either.

The hub 3 had better performance on 100mb connection.

The Asus was bought to deliver better range and speed than hub 4 as it was really bad at first. The hub 3 people moan about.

The pods I got afterwards are a separate Virgin service you pay for or included free in higher packages to create so called intelligent WiFi or mesh WiFi that work with the VM hub and no other routers. Supposed to extend speed and range.

Also known as superpods from Plume without all the features.

They just plug into sockets like a range extender would but can be taken out easily.

I just would really like to know why it happened and if at all it can be fixed. I don't want to be out of pocket and out of mind.

I could have set up virgin myself the engineer was there to install a new box but the upgrade meant I needed a hub 4 not 3 to be capable of 1 gig speeds.

It's just the Asus I need help with properly. I just can't access the settings without the ethernet cable.
The only other things I may have done is accidentally logged in to the Asus while a VPN was on my browser.

Or if l had multiple tabs open and was already logged in.

That update firmware to latest and then took the Virgin Hub 4 out of modem mode when the pod arrived.

If somebody can tell me what I haven't said correctly I would appreciate it

I understand your frustration but think I could and have installed virgin equipment before myself. No engineer needed. He said getting your own router would be better in the first place.
Then said a mesh system would be better.

Ihave working WiFi ATM with virgin. It was/is a chance for investment and independence/ future proofing. I just want to know what I have done so l can avoid this issue in future as it will be present with other routers/ systems.

As far as returning it goes I need same stock firmware to get money back. I didn't know it didn't return back.
Thankyou regards Craig

@slimcraigy

Can you explain in one simple sentence what it is that "doesn't work"? It sounds like the only problem you have is connecting to your Asus router's WiFi network (SSID=asus).

Again, simply, what is the ultimate objective? Is it to get rid of the Virgin pods altogether and only use the Asus for all your client connections?

I have been editing this now for hours and it's a long post.

I'm truly sorry my friend, but I don't work here.

Your ISP modem/router has internal IP 192.168.0.1 and you have to connect it's LAN port to Asus WAN port. Asus default IP is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1, so no conflicts are expected. Your Asus router has to be set for WAN connection type - Automatic IP. It will get it's external IP from your ISP modem/router, for example 192.168.0.2. From this point you have to configure your Asus router with settings you want - SSID(s), passwords, Wi-Fi settings, etc. Asus router will create your main network and all wired/wireless devices have to be connected to it. It's super simple and explained well in quick start guide.

As far as returning it goes I need same stock firmware to get money back.

As far as I understand, this Asus router auto updated to Asuswrt 3.0.0.4.386.44470. This is the stock factory firmware. You don't have to roll the firmware back to the older version it came with. If you can't configure your router yourself, call a friend to do it for you or return it and use the VM Wi-Fi system.

Last edited:
@slimcraigy

Can you explain in one simple sentence what it is that "doesn't work"? It sounds like the only problem you have is connecting to your Asus router's WiFi network (SSID=asus).

Again, simply, what is the ultimate objective? Is it to get rid of the Virgin pods altogether and only use the Asus for all your client connections?
Hi Colin Taylor what it is that doesn't work is the wireless access to the default Asus router login page 192.168.1.1 resulting in the error of refused connection.
I really hope this can be fixed.

WiFi/ connecting to the SSID asus works as does the Asus WiFi I just haven't been able to get as fast speeds/ range as I had hoped.

The goal was to use just the Asus as a primary router to utilise the enhanced speeds/ range my upgraded package was not delivering at the time.
Independence from the ISP would be good to manage clients.
In an ideal world if I could afford it have the possibility of an aimesh system.
For now with the Asus I just want good speed/range with and be able to log in wirelessly.

It would be better in the long run.

I admit pods did complicate things a bit with boosting range and speed but I don't own them just rent. Need to know what happened anyway as it may happen with any other router/ system.

Hopefully that makes sense
Thanks and regards Craig

OK Lets start with one thing at a time.
Hi Colin Taylor what it is that doesn't work is the wireless access to the default Asus router login page 192.168.1.1 resulting in the error of refused connection.
You said earlier that you could connect to the Asus router if your PC was connected to it by Ethernet cable, but not if you were connected by WiFi. Is that still the case?

Remember that the password you set to log into the router's web interface is not the same as the WiFi password. So connect your PC again by Ethernet, log into the Asus router, go to Wireless - General and set the WiFi password (remember to click on Apply). Do this for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz if you're not using Smart Connect. (I realise you've probably done all this before but I just want to double check everything.)

Now use another device to try and connect by WiFi to the Asus and go to http://192.168.1.1 (I'm assuming this is the address you used before).

Make sure your browser is using the http address above and not https://192.168.1.1 which will fail with connection refused.

P.S. You have created two sets of duplicate posts. Delete the duplicates.

Last edited:
Hi Colin sorry for late reply I have had to edit this a lot.
yes that was still the case I thought I checked this before at least part of it. Ethernet was ok wireless was not. Even on a different device.
Thank you for your patience and specific instructions.

I've been typing a reply for a while.
I did what you said. I didn't even change the password.
One was set/ already showed and I just applied settings. Smart connect was on.
I would have changed passwords per your instructions.

I think my login and WiFi passwords were the same.

So I typed just the numbers 192.168.1.1 into duckduckgo on my phone and It took me to router.asus.com/mainLogin and worked!
Thanka so much for seeming to get it working in the first place!!!!

Honestly thought it was fixed yesterday but had to go bed. I was going to reply that it was fixed but I didn't want to jinx it.
I never count my chickens before they hatch.

It seemed to be working on a separate device on some browsers.
So left it alone, tried to log in again a little while ago before replying and getting an error message again.
It WAS working and now won't load again now. Either page.

It looked to still be working though was only on the login page.
Have I opened too many pages/browsers at once checking before replying?

The router said something about using the main login page in system log.
So why it worked then stopped again I have no idea.

192.168.1.1 took me straight there/ redirect me to asus.router.com/main_Login.asp in Firefox and duckduckgo.

I also clicked the http link too and was ok.

A while ago I checked (on a down detector type site)and router.asus.com previously and it said that was down for everybody.

Whether it's an intermittent Asus issue I don't know.

So I thought Id made a breakthrough but it hasn't lasted.

I don't know what this did exactly/ why it got it to work again or what is or was the issue?

I thought I had applied settings there plenty of times.
Was it waiting for me to clarify the password I thought I'd set up anyway?
Definitely checked I wasn't using HTTPS.

I maybe should have changed that DHCP frequency to normal not aggressive in case it was that.

It still refused to load on PC browsers. Chrome. Opera. Firefox didn't start up for some reason.
Would I have been able to get the PC back logging in wirelessly?

I know someone else mentioned the HTTPS issue on another forum. Said just disable it. I thought they meant in browser but no instructions.

I always input just numbers.
I avoided browsers that by default went to HTTPS

I swear I've always typed just the numbers in. 192.168.1.1.

I was going to ask (before or stopped working again)
How can I avoid this in future/ if I have to reset it again will the issue come back?
If I can understand why it happened I can avoid it.

Sorry about the duplicates it's a phone I'm typing on not ideal really.

I wanted to make doubly sure before replying it was fixed. But unfortunately not to be. Is it me that's done something wrong?
Thanks Colin

So I typed just the numbers 192.168.1.1 into duckduckgo on my phone and It took me to router.asus.com/mainLogin and worked!
Don't type these addresses into a search engine. Type them directly into your browser's address bar. Type them in full exactly as follows:

or

A while ago I checked (on a down detector type site)and router.asus.com previously and it said that was down for everybody.
router.asus.com is not a real internet address which is why it says it's down. It is a special local address that only works for client's connected directly to an Asus router and using the router as its DNS server. If it doesn't work (which might be the case with some devices) just use the numerical IP address.

Hi Colin that's what I have been doing I go directly to site using address bar. It was working ok.
I made sure of it.
Tried a couple of times and each time was ok then again suddenly.

The duckduckgo one I meant I typed it purely into the app version not the search engine or search bar.. It worked fine. Now it doesn't it says error I had the http:// address clipboarded in Firefox too and that worked fine. So I had noted/ saved the page for future reference the http version and was fine.

All was good each time I checked page loaded again then all of a sudden nothing again on any mobile browser. Just the error web page unavailable. Refused connection or address not found depending on browser.

I understand the purpose of http://router.asus.com now being a local address not an internet site/ public address.

I meant I wasn't searching in the bar just going direct.

Tried just numbers 192.168.1.1 into the address bar (how I have always done) which were working and http://192.168.1.1 which also worked yesterday for a while.

So what is wrong I don't know. All I can think is maybe I loaded up the page on duckduckgo again at end of day fine and in Firefox. Got to main page on both I think Google may have loaded up at one point. Tried logging in and then refused.

So I don't know why it happened have were too many pages on the main login site via different browsers?

Thanks again I don't know what happened or why it did what it did again.
Regards Craig

I don't know what happened it was fine from last night until just before I actually posted the post I had been writing.
So ended up editing a success post to a continued problem post.l

My guess is that when you can't get to http://192.168.1.1 your device is no longer connected to the asus SSID. If it's a mobile device like a phone it's possible that it's switched over to using the mobile network. If not that then the device may be reconnecting to your VM Hub or one of the pods/repeaters.

As your original objective was to test the effectiveness of the Asus' WiFi you need to turn off all of your pods/repeaters and turn off the WiFi on the VM Hub. If you don't do this all these WiFi devices will be fighting each other for airtime. Only when you have done that can you test the range/speed of the Asus WiFi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!