What's new

AC86U replacement: RT-AX86U (Pro) or GT-AX6000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

At 5x the power? No. The penetration will be maxed out.

I had the GT-AX6000 and it worked great but the WAF was 0. I now have the AX86U Pro running the beta firmware and so far, it is working great and the WAF is an 8 or 9, she likes the looks of the eero Pro units a lot. :)

There would be negligible difference in penetration between channels 36 and 140 if the power output were the same.
I haven't quite understand.
In Europe, are all the channels output capped or only the lower/upper ones?

Offtopic - I downloaded gt-ax6000 firmware zip file just to check. I've found two files, one with rog on name and another without.
What's the main differences, besides the color of the pages?

Offtopic - I downloaded gt-ax6000 firmware zip file just to check. I've found two files, one with rog on name and another without.
What's the main differences, besides the color of the pages?
One of the fw is the Gold Standard RMerlin gui, and the other is the ROG gui (see sig).
The difference can be seen in the fw name.
@Smokey613 You are preaching to the choir. I learned (or was taught) to keep my "toys" out of The Wife's view. I have (or was allowed) a home-lab closet in which to store my necessary networking tools ;)

Last edited:
One of the fw is the Gold Standard RMerlin gui, and the other is the ROG gui (see sig).
@Smokey613 You are preaching to the choir. I learned (or was taught) to keep my "toys" out of The Wife's view. I have (or was allowed) a home-lab closet in which to store my necessary networking tools ;)
Yes, but besides the color is there any other changes?

Most of my networking toys are out of view but Asus routers need good air circulation, hence the reason it is in plain view, that and it is very near where both ISP drops are.

@maghuro was asking about differences in firmware options for the same GT-AX6000.
Thank you for the clarification.
I have been catching up on the Forum posts, and I am not doing well with the GIYF and Better Search questions, and I apologize.

Since you mentioned it - tell us now what do you use the second 2.5GbE port for. :)

I utilize my 2.5 ports for the WAN and LAN.
Doesn't the 86 pro only have a single 2.5 port?
I am going to adjust my attitude in a positive manner now, but need to post that reading RMerlin Change Log from Dec 3, 2022, and this topic has been discussed.

I Know, Reading RMerlin's Change log, What A Concept.

Last edited:
ROG theme is experimental. Use the regular blue GUI theme.
I installed ROG version for testing. I want to change to the regular blue GUI.
May I dirty flash same firmware version without ROG?