What's new

AC86U running at 205F

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dave1024

Occasional Visitor
It limps along with kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn off CPU#1 on then on..
ASUS will RMA it but will take about 10 days. Amazon will return it but charge me $35 cause its past the return day. Not sure what to do. I do not want to be with out internet for 10 days. And not sure about buying the same one. It seems like that issue has been going on for a few years.
Should I get the

NETGEAR Nighthawk 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi 6 Router from Costco or get another Asus. I like how the Asus can monitor data and I dont think the Netgear has that same feature.

Didnt the latest Merlin release offer SNMP on the AX model?
Dont know which direction to go.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It limps along with kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn off CPU#1 on then on..
ASUS will RMA it but will take about 10 days. Amazon will return it but charge me $35 cause its past the return day. Not sure what to do. I do not want to be with out internet for 10 days. And not sure about buying the same one. It seems like that issue has been going on for a few years.
Should I get the

NETGEAR Nighthawk 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi 6 Router from Costco or get another Asus. I like how the Asus can monitor data and I dont think the Netgear has that same feature.

Didnt the latest Merlin release offer SNMP on the AX model?
Dont know which direction to go.

Thanks.

New AC86U or AX86U... if you don't need two for AiMesh, sell/pass one on or keep it as a spare (which you need now... the network is everything). And don't give Amazon $35... better to spend that on the RMA shipping, if required, or not at all.

Is the AC86U running the latest firmware with CPU wait enabled?

OE

New AC86U or AX86U... if you don't need two for AiMesh, sell/pass one on or keep it as a spare (which you need now... the network is everything). And don't give Amazon $35... better to spend that on the RMA shipping, if required, or not at all.

Is the AC86U running the latest firmware with CPU wait enabled?

OE
I ordered the AX86U from Amazon. I dont need AiMesh. I might send it to Asus to fix.. I will have to see how much I like the AX. I am running the latest Merlin firmware on the AC86U. I didnt see th CPU wait. What is it under?

Last edited:
A refurb AC86 will sell for a good amount on EBAY, they have been surging in price lately. Might help recover some of the new expenses.

I ordered the AX86U from Amazon. I dont need AiMesh. I might send it to Asus to fix.. I will have to see how much I like the AX. I am running the latest Merlin firmware on the AC86U. I didnt see th CPU wait. What is it under?

SSH command pwr show will list it (enable SSH and use an SSH client to browse/login to the router via SSH.

Win10 Powershell includes an SSH client.

OE

It’s not in the GUI. What is the Merlin firmware you are using and that will tell us if the cpu wait fix is applied

On the Asus beta (see version in signature) my CPU @ 77C or 170.6F.
You really need to check your firmware version...Merlin or Asus... and do a Hard Factory Reset and configure manually to get rid of settings that possibly are causing issues. Then you can send the AX86U to me!

On the Asus beta (see version in signature) my CPU @ 77C or 170.6F.
You really need to check your firmware version...Merlin or Asus... and do a Hard Factory Reset and configure manually to get rid of settings that possibly are causing issues. Then you can send the AX86U to me!
When I set this up I believe I updated the Asus firmware and then install Merlin 386.12

386.1.2 should not be showing cpu wait disabled
Router needs a fresh format and reconfigure without using any backups. Configure from scratch.
I can do that again..I did not use a back up. At the time I set it up (about 2 months ago) I used the latest Merlin at the time. I just updated again when version 386.1.2 was released.

386.1.2 should not be showing cpu wait disabled
Router needs a fresh format and reconfigure without using any backups. Configure from scratch.

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC86U 386.1_2 Fri Feb 12 22:48:22 UTC 2021
admin01@Solar:/tmp/home/root# SSH pwr show
-sh: SSH: not found
admin01@Solar:/tmp/home/root# pwr show

Power Management Configuration
Functional Block Status
CPU Wait DISABLED
Ethernet Auto Power Down ENABLED
Energy Efficient Ethernet DISABLED
Switch Deep Green Mode ENABLED (status:Deactivated)
admin01@Solar:/tmp/home/root#

If you run this command, do you get a 1?
Bash:
nvram get cpuwait
If not, try running:
Bash:
nvram set cpuwait=1
nvram commit
And then reboot.

If you run this command, do you get a 1?
Bash:
nvram get cpuwait
If not, try running:
Bash:
nvram set cpuwait=1
nvram commit
And then reboot.
It was at zero and now set to 1. The temperature is the same but its not generating thermal logs with cpu 1 any more.

Does the pwr show command now show wait enabled? It will take time for the temperature/heat to subside.
Yes it now shows it is enabled. But the temps are still up there. CPU temp in 201F 2.4wifi is 124F 5Ghz in 131F

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC86U 386.1_2 Fri Feb 12 22:48:22 UTC 2021

Power Management Configuration
Functional Block Status
CPU Wait ENABLED
Ethernet Auto Power Down ENABLED
Energy Efficient Ethernet DISABLED
Switch Deep Green Mode ENABLED (status:Deactivated)

I can do that again..I did not use a back up. At the time I set it up (about 2 months ago) I used the latest Merlin at the time. I just updated again when version 386.1.2 was released.
Checking that we're on the same page when I say to configure from fresh format, scratch, no backups.

Administration - Restore/Save/Upload - Factory Default WITH INITIALIZE CHECKED

Then setup as new using no backups, all settings entered by hand. If afterwards you still see the issues, just know that there are a couple of other people that are on the "fixed" firmware(s) (factory & Merlin) and still see temps higher than what they used too. There are a couple threads, one being here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-overheats-with-fw-386.70296/

If you can't live with it, one solution appears to be using a fan. I'm not a fan (hahaha) of that since it is blowing air into the router (dust). Drawing the air Out would be the better solution if I were to try it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!