What's new

AC86U Slow Wireless Speeds / Crazy Signal Strength Drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KingLord

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm at my wits end and I think I know the answer to this but just thought I would check with the smarter people here before I finally gave up on this. I've had my 86u for over a year and it's been great, suddenly this week it started having really slow wireless download speeds on my 2G band (~10Mbs on the low end, ~25Mbs on the high end). When I dug into it, it looks like my wireless signal at first glance seems OK (signal strength average of 89) but when I watched it for a while it looks like it's in the 90s usually, but for a brief second every 10 seconds or so drops down to exactly 6, always 6, then it goes back up to 90+. I had been lazy and was using mostly default settings, so I went in there and poked around to use a fixed channel, beamforming, etc. etc. but that doesn't seem to have helped at all. Nothing has changed network wise on my end recently, but I went ahead and tried starting fresh with the wireless and only 1 client, etc. same results. The 5G band seems to be OK, not great but at least stable. I'm guessing that my 2G radio is just on the fritz. I'm running the latest stock firmware - 3.0.0.4.386_41634 if that matters (it was doing this on the previous firmware and continues after I upgraded). I didn't know if anyone had any clever ideas as to something outside the network that might be causing the issue that I could check, or some better test to see if it's the radio vs. something else. Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online