What's new

AC86U vs AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The RT-AC66U (original, 'classic') and the RT-AC66U_B1 are not the same router. The '_B1 version is based on the RT-AC68U but with better hardware than the original of that model (has been updated and marketed with many different names in various markets). :)

The RT-AC66U is not recommended. But the RT-AC66U_B1 is. :)

I got the AC68U last week. I got the C1 version. I initially loaded the latest firmware then loaded Merlin(latest) later on.

For stability, its been up for five days. No dropping of connections(on good signal). On range I believe it's the same with N18U. The upside of the N18U is that I didn't fiddle that much with antenna positioning. For the AC68U bending the leftmost and rightmost antenna seemed to be best for coverage.

Laptop connections are good. My wife noticed that in one area, one of her apps loses connection. Signal at that part of the house is a bit weak. I don't want to fiddle anymore with antenna positioning.

I was hoping that there was some improvement on the 2.4G band though.

I was hoping that there was some improvement on the 2.4G band though.

There might be some marginal improvements on the 2.4 GHz band due to the use or better/more modern filters and amplifiers, however in general the difference will be fairly minimal, if any, since the 2.4 GHz band is more or less the same 802.11n as was used by the older router. The biggest improvements will be on the 5 GHz band, where you are moving from 802.11n to 802.11ac.