What's new

AC86U vs EdgeRouter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes of course u can set the channel manualy. And believe me...there is NO good or unused channels to chose from. (Except for 5ghz 100 to 144. no one has an AP that can do those.) Otherwise, I have been using 2.4g chan 10(20mhz) and 5g chan 40 (80mhz). Those chans seemed to be the "best"/most stable in my personal tests.

If only my 3 Wyze cams supported 5ghz, I would just disable 2.4 band entirely.

With dual band routers now the norm for years now, pretty much everyone has one and in a large apartment complex, it gets ridiculously crowded airwaves. And throw in Comcast/Xfinity and their annoying gateway/modem devices, that broadcast the users wifi AND the Xfinity WiFi hotspot.....my brain is being cooked with wifi radiation!! ;)o_O:p:confused:

I only recommend Control Channels 1, 6 and 11 in the 2.4GHz band. Anything else just makes it worse for everyone else, even if your connection is slightly better. When an in-between control channel is used, the router is negotiating with many more routers to find a 'slice' of time to service your clients. Even if the maximum download speed seems higher.

I don't use any 'apps' or other utilities to pick the best channel - they are usually just a waste of time. With only 3, it is easier to just try them all. ;)

In my testing today, the best channel by maximum throughput was 11, the best channel for lowest latency was 6, but the best channel in actual usage, not highest numbers achieved, was Control Channel 1.

This type of testing takes a few moments at most and easily narrows down the sweet spot. If you don't rely on the numbers or the graphs to make your decision. :)

The latency went from 226 ms to around 27 and the speeds decreased from about 118 to just under 115. Not too bad for a whole 25 minutes of 'work', including rebooting the router in-between channel changes and letting it idle at least 5 to 10 minutes afterward.

I only recommend Control Channels 1, 6 and 11 in the 2.4GHz band. Anything else just makes it worse for everyone else, even if your connection is slightly better. When an in-between control channel is used, the router is negotiating with many more routers to find a 'slice' of time to service your clients. Even if the maximum download speed seems higher.

I don't use any 'apps' or other utilities to pick the best channel - they are usually just a waste of time. With only 3, it is easier to just try them all. ;)

In my testing today, the best channel by maximum throughput was 11, the best channel for lowest latency was 6, but the best channel in actual usage, not highest numbers achieved, was Control Channel 1.

This type of testing takes a few moments at most and easily narrows down the sweet spot. If you don't rely on the numbers or the graphs to make your decision. :)

The latency went from 226 ms to around 27 and the speeds decreased from about 118 to just under 115. Not too bad for a whole 25 minutes of 'work', including rebooting the router in-between channel changes and letting it idle at least 5 to 10 minutes afterward.

I use apps like WiFiAnalyzer (Open Source) or WiFiman on my phone and on PC, Wi-Fi Scanner 4.2 by LizardSystems.com or inSSIDer Office to scan and see what the air is like.

And in my testing, using a non standard channel (like 8, 9, 10) that is not 1, 6, 11, results in the most stable and best overall speed, last i used 2.4g for anything heavy. i think i chose 10 while back because there already were a few APs set to 8 and 9 and there is a bit more APs on chan 1 area.

Now, only 3 Wyze cams are on it and if i set the 2.4 band to 1, 6, or 11 the cams frequently drop out and/or i can not connect to them, or when i do, they complain and say "Network is busy" and revert to SD video stream. I have no way to really test latency between those cams and the AP. The only interface for them is the smart phone app. I honestly do not care about the 2,4 band...just that it works for the cams. (if u know of a cheap cam alike to Wyze that supports 5ghz, PLease let me know)

And i have literally tested all the channels, on the 5ghz, which is what i actually use and, at the time with the Asus, found ch 40 (the low range of the AC band) to fastest and most consistent. Now, its the ~100 channel space, cause no one is there.

Holy crap!

The 5ghz range on the NanoHD is amazing! 2x that of what my Asus would do.
I can still stay connected all the way down the common hallway past the elevator area, the Asus would drop connection half way there.

I didn't bother looking at or testing 2.4 band. Looking a a wifi scanner graph of that band is nothing but a giant blob of lines and colors, ~65 or so networks.

Its official, I am done with Asus routers and wifi. Ubquiti all the way!

I still have my new Asus XG-U2008 switch.(2x 10G ports, 8x 1G ports). Most reviews state that the 10G ports burn out after a few months, due to heat...well, i stuck a pci slot cooling fan right up against the side vents of the thing, connected to a AC adapter I soldered on a Molex plug to, so it blows a bit of air into the switch.

Ubquiti does not offer a 10G switch like what i need.
I don't need 16 SFP port(I dont use fiber) ...would like just 4 10G Copper ports and 4,6 or 8 1Gig ports.
Also don't need managed switch or one that cost near $1k.
Netgear seems to be the only one that makes anything remotely like what I need, and they are decently priced, but reviews are not so great for them.

I did just learned that the EdgeRouter looses its time if it looses power, NTP did not work, so I set manually and then did set date ntp and it auto updated. Was wondering why my DHCP leases said they were to expire in 2015...lolz.

The Edgerouter lineup has many advocates that shout its praises. I have yet to be convinced it is anything more than great marketing at this point.
The performance of Ubnt devices are not better than everyone else and does not produce rainbows when using it. And the performance of their routers are terrible unless you turn of all the bells and whistles.

Well...having now converted over to Ubquiti equipment (EdgeRouter and Unifi AP)....i can 100% say that it is "better" than just my standalone Asus AC86U. Faster, smoother, more stable all around.

The only negatives I have had is a bit of a slowdown in WLAN to LAN/LAN to WLAN file transfers from Windows SMB shares...and the far more complex device setup and configs, but, so far, it all seems worth it.

Stop drinking the Ubiquity cool-aid!
Too late. And it was not cool-aid, but wine! Not quite fine wine, but still, an improvement.

Ubnt fans are almost a cult. They keep praising the product and always recommended it to everyone. It is like a religion and they want to spread the "good message" since they now are "blessed".

I would not consider myself as part of some "Ubquiti Cult". I would say that, so far, not much more than initial experience of ~1 week of use, I have had positive experience and positive improvement over my previous hardware and setup. If things stay this way for the next month or two, then I would say I am indeed a fan of Ubquiti hardware.

The nice thing about separate wireless APs is for higher densities you just add more wireless APs. This may not apply to homes but any where else it applies.

Well...having now converted over to Ubquiti equipment (EdgeRouter and Unifi AP)....i can 100% say that it is "better" than just my standalone Asus AC86U. Faster, smoother, more stable all around.
Well it is good that you are happy with the Ubnt stuff. But I still want to question your claims. It is faster? How. When I test the RT-AC86U on a fiber connection we have a ping time around 3-4 ms. Is the Ubnt stuff faster and can a human even detect that?

More stable? The last RT-AC86U I installed is up on its 45 day and still going strong. No errors or anything.

And it seems you are giving up QoS and IPS. Have you tested the performance with these features enabled.

Too late. And it was not cool-aid, but wine! Not quite fine wine, but still, an improvement.
Hehe. Yes you probably feel this way but you will find it very hard to document.

I would not consider myself as part of some "Ubquiti Cult". I would say that, so far, not much more than initial experience of ~1 week of use, I have had positive experience and positive improvement over my previous hardware and setup. If things stay this way for the next month or two, then I would say I am indeed a fan of Ubquiti hardware.
No but you still claim a more stable and faster setup (with the compromise that you are giving up QoS and IPS). But you cannot really back this up with numbers. So its a arbitrary feel and not something measurable. And now you go around and praise Ubiquiti with these none-tangible arguments. Not to burst your bubble but that but doesn't it sound a bit cult-ish?

Well it is good that you are happy with the Ubnt stuff. But I still want to question your claims. It is faster? How. When I test the RT-AC86U on a fiber connection we have a ping time around 3-4 ms. Is the Ubnt stuff faster and can a human even detect that?

More stable? The last RT-AC86U I installed is up on its 45 day and still going strong. No errors or anything.

And it seems you are giving up QoS and IPS. Have you tested the performance with these features enabled.

Hehe. Yes you probably feel this way but you will find it very hard to document.

No but you still claim a more stable and faster setup (with the compromise that you are giving up QoS and IPS). But you cannot really back this up with numbers. So its a arbitrary feel and not something measurable. And now you go around and praise Ubiquiti with these none-tangible arguments. Not to burst your bubble but that but doesn't it sound a bit cult-ish?

Numbers like what? iperf3, speedtest.net, SMB transfer speeds?
Synthetic benchmarks or created traffic is hardly a "real world" test.

Just using things, surfing the web, using youtube, streaming netflix/hulu etc...is real world.

The Asus has never felt this fast or smooth. Web pages load instantly, Youtube buffers fill instantly and I can seek instantly with no delay or buffering, even with 4K videos. The Asus, would have a slight lag, and over time, a little as a month or as long as a few months, things would slow or lag a bit. I never went more than 3 months or so before feeling I needed to power cycle the Asus, and that goes for every router I have had and remotely managed for others. (The 68U my folks have, needs to be rebooted every 45 days or so else they complain things are slow and the GUI of the router barley loads at that point as well). Human perception and raw experience is a valid argument.

I can 100% say that wifi is improved. The Unifi can do many more things than the Asus or any consumer AP can do and it is in a different class of AP entirely...period. So it is not a fair comparison. Still, you can not deny the use-fullness of access to all 5ghz channels, the increased range and signal strength, and overall throughput available of 200+ clients. And for raw numbers, they are far better on every wifi device in my home as they now get full signal everywhere. My laptop and phone stays at 866 link rate everywhere, and will even work with a usable signal 2x as far away as when it was the Asus AP doing things, even with their "Beamforming" they advertise. Speed tests, (speedtest.net or the custom one by my ISP) max out my phones wifi chip each time. Here are some numbers for you (326/704 Unifi , 286/317 Asus) Pixel 3. Tested in same room as AP.

(I am not certain as to why I thought I was getting 60 to 70MBs file transfer speeds over SMB WLAN to LAN with the Asus alone....I have tried to replicate that again, however, I can not. Everything I have read says that I am already maxing out my 2x2 and 3x3 clients max bandwidth already at my current tests.)

As far as L3 routing goes, the pings are a bit lower when i run speedtest.net on severs further away, i did observe. One thing that is consistent, the speedtest server local to me, by my ISP, would always show 1-2MS ping with the Asus, now, it frequently shows less than 0 in its live testing,with it rounding up to 0 in the end. A few test it went up to 1, but I have yet to see it go above 1.

More numbers....CPU usage on the ER never goes about 10% when I am maxing out my connection even with multiple machines running a speedtest. The Asus, would max out its core 1 and use about 75% core 2 when ruining the same tests. RAM is also double on the ER (1GB). That only stays in the 25% range of used, the Asus often was in the 60% used area, and more when there was that memory leak bug for a while.

LAN to LAN activity, is done through the switch, not router, so there is nothing to compare there.

I never found QOS useful. It is over hyped and misunderstood what it does and when it should be used. I have messed with it and found zero improvements with it enabled on the Asus. . I do not have that many devices. Second, QOS is known to disable hardware offloading. In Asus case, it did disable something, Runner, or Flow Control, i don't recall exactly what they call it or use, but you can see it disabled on the system status page I do know. And with a 1Gig WAN pipe to make use of, I always have the bandwith available, so QOS is not needed. Infact, things were slower when I had QOS enabled, in my testing while back, when i was messing around with it. and that was mensurable in speedtests, but i did not save those results.

Even in a few homes I remotely manage, with far more devices and network traffic than my own home, QOS never seemed to do anything for them, in fact, i did experiment, remotely activating QOS for a while, then deactivating it, without the users knowing. I did get told by 2 different people form different sites that things were slower to them at times, then faster, which coincided with having QOS on, vs off. Was "better" off it seems. But i dont have any numbers or data to really prove on or off is better, just the users blind perception which u can take as you wish.

The ER does have SmartQues/QOS, but I have not messed with that....it is far more complicated to setup that the stupid easy GUI Asus setup.

IPS/IDS....typical home user does not really need this honestly. Unless they are running some public open server 24/7 that would be a target. I never had any hits or detections with Asus AI Protect systems in 6 years(?) however long that feature first came out. I don't think the EdgeRouter series has IPS/IDS, that is the Unifi Security Gateway devices that do. Even so, the ER firewall is block/drop everything by default. It is also a completely different core firewall and firmware implantation than Asus. I can't recall the name/term, but it is used but Enterprise firewalls, Cisco, SonicWall, etc. But its own design, is more robust than any consumer router has, so I have read. I don't really know how one goes about "testing" the two products. I am not about to hire a white hat hacker to do penetration testing to compare the Asus and ER.

Centralized management software server, is something that the Asus cant touch. Unifi and UMNS give SO much info and power/control and especially monitoring and alerting, it is insane and way overkill for what I need or even wanted.

And also, the raw abilities of the ER, trump the Asus or any consumer router....period. The GUI is ugly, but powerful, and with the CLI or manual config file ability for those who really know what they are doing, far outclasses the Asus. Not that I personally can use this it full ability, but many users can.

The built in DPI is pretty much the same thing you get with Asus Traffic Analyzer, and both are HW offloaded.

Anywho, the only thing I can not comment on at this point, is longevity. Only had this complete setup for a couple days now. I also just updated and rebooted the ER4 to the recently released v2 firmware branch.

Last edited:
I know what you mean by running separate networking equipment. I run Cisco separates. A little more trouble to setup but once it running it is better and simpler to maintain. It is more of a tailored system than 1 system fits all. I run 3 Cisco wireless APs so I can have 5 GHz over my whole house, tailored to fit my house.

@Trentors

I can certainly see your point and want for a numbers to numbers compare.
But number or specs compare does not tell the whole store, nor is it real world.
It is easy to simply see, on paper, or benchmark result, which one is "better", but even the best machine can perform badly in a users use case. (A V12 SuperCar is far better spec and testing wise than a base model Ford Focus, but drive both on the same bumpy and traffic filled city roads, and tell me which one give you the "better" experience.)

Once can compare the hardware specs of the routers, the ER wins out on RAM and CPU cores. Also in build quality, as it is an all metal box, wall and rant mount support. Runs cooler.

iperf3 testing, is for internal LAN testing. I would think it could be setup one endpoint on a remote server, but I have no one with a 1gig WAN close buy anymore that I can test that.

Speedtest sites vary wildly and I do not consider them to be reliable. Load on them varies throughout the day.
Also, location of servers is a huge factor. I can use DSL reports testing site, but get much lower speeds due to the fact that their closest test server is on the other side of the continent, vs the speedtest.net servers, there are a dozen or so within 100 miles of me, 2 within 10 miles. I have several other speedtest sites that I have used as well, each give different results. Some are just way off, and clearly can not test a 1gig WAN.

I signed up for an account just to respond to this thread, having just purchased an EdgeRouter ER-12 with the intent of replacing my RT-AC86U.

Let me just say that it went back in the box within a few hours of performance testing. I absolutely agree with 100% of Trentors commentary (especially post #18).

Here's what Ubiquiti won't tell you about the ER-12.

All routed packet processing is done by a single core on that quad core 1Ghz CPU. Want to check for yourself? Log into the device, start a speedtest and cat /proc/interrupts (or just run top and hit '1'). All interrupt processing is handled on a single core. Keep in mind that the Broadcom in the AC86U has single core clock speeds that are almost double the MIPS CPU in the ER-12.

Regular 1Gbps speedtesting through Spectrum would peg that single core at 80% CPU, with no stateful packet inspection enabled and *all* offload functionality enabled.
The same speedtest with the obviously superior NAT FlowRunner acceleration with the ARM CPU on the RT-AC86U (with no SPI enabled) handles 1Gb of throughput at less than 5% CPU.

Edit: also note that the switch ports yield no statistics via the web UI (the interface lines are literally blank and provide no value), unless you disable hardware switching on the ER-12 and bridge the ports. When you do that, you are switching/routing in software with no offload. ifconfig literally shows no meaningful counters, and you can't see the interface errors, etc.

Keep in mind that Ubiquiti's return policy from their web store is abhorrent and they won't let you return a device unless it is in new, unopened packaging. If you want to reproduce this, don't order directly from Ubiquiti.

Don't waste your time and money with an ER-12.

Last edited:
Just chiming in on my experience. I had 3 ac86u setup in AImesh mode, but the problems such as ChormeCast Ultra HD dropping a node once a day made me decide to give up on AImesh. What I did:

Sold 2 AC86u, and kept one as the main router running latest Merlin (with wifi turned off).
Bought 3 Unifi AP AC PRO units (on special but still more expensive than what I sold the 2 AC86u for)
Installed Unifi controller on my Ubuntu NAS server (runs 24/7) and set up the unifi APs.

I have had this for about 2 weeks and could not be happier with the stability with the WIFI. Added bonus: guest WIFI works with all 3 APs and I still get all the functionality of Merlin running on the main router soch as QOS etc.....

I signed up for an account just to respond to this thread, having just purchased an EdgeRouter ER-12 with the intent of replacing my RT-AC86U.

Let me just say that it went back in the box within a few hours of performance testing. I absolutely agree with 100% of Trentors commentary (especially post #18).

Here's what Ubiquiti won't tell you about the ER-12.

All routed packet processing is done by a single core on that quad core 1Ghz CPU. Want to check for yourself? Log into the device, start a speedtest and cat /proc/interrupts (or just run top and hit '1'). All interrupt processing is handled on a single core. Keep in mind that the Broadcom in the AC86U has single core clock speeds that are almost double the MIPS CPU in the ER-12.

Regular 1Gbps speedtesting through Spectrum would peg that single core at 80% CPU, with no stateful packet inspection enabled and *all* offload functionality enabled.
The same speedtest with the obviously superior NAT FlowRunner acceleration with the ARM CPU on the RT-AC86U (with no SPI enabled) handles 1Gb of throughput at less than 5% CPU.

Edit: also note that the switch ports yield no statistics via the web UI (the interface lines are literally blank and provide no value), unless you disable hardware switching on the ER-12 and bridge the ports. When you do that, you are switching/routing in software with no offload. ifconfig literally shows no meaningful counters, and you can't see the interface errors, etc.

Keep in mind that Ubiquiti's return policy from their web store is abhorrent and they won't let you return a device unless it is in new, unopened packaging. If you want to reproduce this, don't order directly from Ubiquiti.

Don't waste your time and money with an ER-12.

And....this is what i see the most common...people get these devices, try it, and give up to easily or just don't know how to set them up properly. They will perform poorly if you do not do the config right.

Something does not seem right there....my cpu on my ER4 does not flinch much under full WAN load. maybe 10% to 15% or so if that. With speedtest always in the 930 megs up/down. ( I do have DHCP WAN connection, if you use PPPOE or others, you may have different results/issues)

The ER12 is the same as the 6 and 4, just with a dedicated switch ports.
(which have to be config that way)
(I went with the ER-4 as I have a dedicated switch for everything, that has 2x 10Gig ports.
The router is just for WAN access.)

Did u up update to the latest firmware, they often come with old.

Did u enable ALL the offloading, this is done via the CLI and confirm it is on and did not enable anythign that turns it off?
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006567467-EdgeRouter-Hardware-Offloading

Last edited:
Edit: also note that the switch ports yield no statistics via the web UI (the interface lines are literally blank and provide no value),

Sounds like a bug in the firmware....the new v2 branch, or a much older v1 branch had this. I have read recenlty in the Ubquiti fourms.

But still bad, I say that, that is why you by from Amazon or NewEGG. Better prices there too.
I got my ER-4 on Amazon for $120. NIB

Full offload enabled by hand via the CLI (please read my note above). You are looking at the overall "all cores / 4" CPU usage in the web interface, and not the actual real per-core CPU usage.

One other point: their hardware offload functionality is broken on a few different platforms with a few different OS versions. You'll want to research on their forums to determine which functionality is available with which versions.

You need to look with top with the multicore option enabled (hit the "1" key). There's absolutely no way you are pushing a full Gbit routed performance with 10-15% CPU usage on a single core. The bottleneck in that case is the interrupt handling being pegged to a single CPU core, and not the full CPU itself.

While you are at it, look at the fact that you can't see interface counters for your switch ports.

A managed switch with no switch port counters available via the web UI, CLI or SNMP is functionally worthless, as is a router that claims "6Gbps" of routed throughput that bottlenecks a single core with a single gigabit.... with full offload enabled, and no packet inspection, and no QoS enabled using the default firewall ruleset.

I have a lot more commentary on this, but I mostly just wanted to chime in to agree with Trentors.

To touch on a few of your points from your previous posts:

The EdgeRouter DPI is *not* the same as the Asus Traffic Analyzer in terms of functionality and featureset. The Asus Traffic Analyzer lets you see traffic usage over time, which you cannot with the EdgeRouter DPI.

Their add-on Cake QoS functionality is not maintained or supported directly via Ubiquiti, either.

The whole product feels half-baked in terms of functionality, and should never have been shipped to production.

I have no experience with their Unifi platform, but will never buy another Ubiquiti EdgeMax product again and wouldn't recommend their products based on an absolutely draconian return policy, either. It's almost like they are discouraging people from returning their routers after evaluating them critically...

And....this is what i see the most common...people get these devices, try it, and give up to easily or just don't know how to set them up properly.

Somehting does not seem right there....my cpu on my ER4 does not flinch much under full WAN load. maybe 10% to 15% or so if that.

The ER12 is the same as the 6 and 4, just with a dedicated switch ports.
(which have to be config that way)

Did u up update to the latest firmware, they often come with old.

Did u enable ALL the offloading, this is done via the CLI and confirm it is on and did not enable anythign that turns it off?
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006567467-EdgeRouter-Hardware-Offloading

I know what you mean by running separate networking equipment. I run Cisco separates. A little more trouble to setup but once it running it is better and simpler to maintain. It is more of a tailored system than 1 system fits all. I run 3 Cisco wireless APs so I can have 5 GHz over my whole house, tailored to fit my house.

Same here...

pfSense, along with two switches (one managed, one not), two AP's for the primary network, and a dedicated Router/AP for IoT testing and development.

The dedicated Router/AP allows me to make changes without impacting the rest of the LAN/WLAN, and keeps traffic inside it's realm - currently it's a GL-iNet B1300, running OpenWRT, nice little AC1200 class device that is more that enough for IOT stuff.

Discrete components have their advantages over All-in-One's, but they do add a layer of complexity that some folks might not need.

The EdgeRouter DPI is *not* the same as the Asus Traffic Analyzer in terms of functionality and featureset. The Asus Traffic Analyzer lets you see traffic usage over time, which you cannot with the EdgeRouter DPI.

Looks the same to me for the most part, same stats. Though I really didn't use the Asus Anyalyzer at all until just only recently.

I can view them over time just fine. The data does get deleted upon reboot though. The last 2 days of stats are there for me to see. (I do have the UNMS server setup, but I do not think that has anything to do with the local data collecting on the router it self)

UNMS, is very much more geard toward mutil site / muti client deployment management...not for singe home use. Unfi server is FAR more polished and sutiable for home use. I can only use some of it, since I only have a Unifi AP and not the USG. Even the USG Pro4 is outdated and a bit under speced for gig speeds. But I would highly recommend the Unifi over Edge line for home use, if you have a slower than 100 meg ISP connection, unless you disable most the things the USG can do, you will see a bottle neck.

And....this is what i see the most common...people get these devices, try it, and give up to easily or just don't know how to set them up properly. They will perform poorly if you do not do the config right.

To put it kindly, if that's your take away from reading my comment, most of what I've written may have went over your head.

You need to look with top with the multicore option enabled (hit the "1" key).
Not sure what you mean. Pressing "1" when hovering over or clicking on the cpu bar does nothing for me.
And I am getting full gig speeds not issue, but I can mess with it more later tonight after work.

EDIT: oo. Never heard of "top" in the CLI...interesting. Learned something new. Thanks. Mess with it later.

Not sure what you mean. Pressing "1" when hovering over or clicking on the cpu bar does nothing for me.
And I am getting full gig speeds not issue, but I can mess with it more later tonight after work.

You'll want to enable SSH on the device (if not already) and login via SSH to use top from the CLI.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!