What's new

Ac86u wired speeds slow on certain devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mxr695

New Around Here
Just purchased a ac86u everything seems to be great except a few devices like my ps4 and xbox getting really low speeds compared to my ac88u , wireless and hard wired and my Chromecast with google tv. All seem to show poor wireless speed and hard wired speed I mean 20-30 mb when they used to test at around 300/down ,30-50 up. I factory reset it made no difference, updated the stock firmware with no difference, running latest Merlin no difference , tried messing with Qos which made no difference so I left it off all other settings are untouched. When I plug in the ac88u wired speeds on those devices back to normal it's to the point my Chromecast can't play 1080 or 4k from my Plex server on the ac86u, just not enough speed. When I plug back in the ac88u all is back to normal speeds . What's weird is my linux system and my windows system speed test at 925 down / 50 up which is normal from my isp .
The router is definitely stronger than my ac88u but for some reason those devices are not able to be at full capacity.

Also after I updated firmware to Merlin before and after I factory reset .

I don't think this a problem with Merlin firmware but maybe a setting I'm missing

Any suggestions ?

Last edited:
Just purchased a ac86u everything seems to be great except a few devices like my ps4 and xbox getting really low speeds compared to my ac88u , wireless and hard wired and my Chromecast with google tv. All seem to show poor wireless speed and hard wired speed I mean 20-30 mb when they used to test at around 300/down ,30-50 up. I factory reset it made no difference, updated the stock firmware with no difference, running latest Merlin no difference , tried messing with Qos which made no difference so I left it off all other settings are untouched. When I plug in the ac88u wired speeds on those devices back to normal it's to the point my Chromecast can't play 1080 or 4k from my Plex server on the ac86u, just not enough speed. When I plug back in the ac88u all is back to normal speeds . What's weird is my linux system and my windows system speed test at 925 down / 50 up which is normal from my isp .
The router is definitely stronger than my ac88u but for some reason those devices are not able to be at full capacity.

Also after I updated firmware to Merlin before and after I factory reset .

I don't think this a problem with Merlin firmware but maybe a setting I'm missing

Any suggestions ?

You mention a lot of wired and wireless comparisons... I'll just assume a few but not all wired devices are slow...

What is the status of those slow LAN connections in the AC86U webUI... 100M or 1 Gbps?

Is QoS disabled?

OE

From my computer's linux and windows speeds are normal hard wired my ps4 and xbox is hardwired directly into the router my Chromecast is hardwired as well which is into a switch which is on the same switch as the desktops that are hardwired I've eleminated the switch for testing and plugged each device one at a time into the router with same results . Desktops are consistent and speed is normal ps4 xbox and chromecast are not seeing the speeds that they did on the ac88u my Chromecast can't even play 1080/4k the ps4 and xbox work but there speed is being significantly reduced by something.

From my computer's linux and windows speeds are normal hard wired my ps4 and xbox is hardwired directly into the router my Chromecast is hardwired as well which is into a switch which is on the same switch as the desktops that are hardwired I've eleminated the switch for testing and plugged each device one at a time into the router with same results . Desktops are consistent and speed is normal ps4 xbox and chromecast are not seeing the speeds that they did on the ac88u my Chromecast can't even play 1080/4k the ps4 and xbox work but there speed is being significantly reduced by something.

You didn't answer the questions. :rolleyes:

OE

1gbps in the gui . Qos is disabled .all cat6 on the whole network
My apologies

Last edited:
1gbps in the gui . Qos is disabled .all cat6 on the whole network
My apologies

Have you cycled power on the slow LAN clients since installing the new network?

OE

Have you cycled power on the slow LAN clients since installing the new network?

OE

Yes I have power cycled and reset the network settings as well on the other devices , just tested again hooking my ac3100 back up to my ps4 xbox and hardwired chromecast with google tv outperforms the ac86u while hard wired with wifi both routers are about the same speed with the ac86u having the edge with wifi only . I have even tried to dmz them one at a time no difference made . Unfortunate on those specific devices hardwire is significantly less than my older ac3100 seems like everything else the ac86u does is noticably better than my ac3100. These are hardwired test that I ran Ac3100 chromecast 330 down, (110 down with ac86u)
Ps4 200 down with ac3100 with (ac86u about 90 down ) everything else on the network is an improvement with the ac86u.

Yes I have power cycled and reset the network settings as well on the other devices , just tested again hooking my ac3100 back up to my ps4 xbox and hardwired chromecast with google tv outperforms the ac86u while hard wired with wifi both routers are about the same speed with the ac86u having the edge with wifi only . I have even tried to dmz them one at a time no difference made . Unfortunate on those specific devices hardwire is significantly less than my older ac3100 seems like everything else the ac86u does is noticably better than my ac3100. These are hardwired test that I ran Ac3100 chromecast 330 down, (110 down with ac86u)
Ps4 200 down with ac3100 with (ac86u about 90 down ) everything else on the network is an improvement with the ac86u.

What does "hard wired with WiFi" mean?

I usually speed test with a trusted PC wired and wireless to the router. Then what other clients test is on them.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!