What's new

AC87U as a switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VacTacks11

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

Is it possible to turn the 87U into a managed switch? My ISP modem is bridged, and I would still need the 87U to do static routes (my current router can't), but I would like to be using this different router for DHCP / DNS / etc.

Thank you

Hi there,

Is it possible to turn the 87U into a managed switch? My ISP modem is bridged, and I would still need the 87U to do static routes (my current router can't), but I would like to be using this different router for DHCP / DNS / etc.

Thank you

You can turn it into an AP only as well. Yur router will then handle everything.

You can turn it into an AP only as well. Yur router will then handle everything.
I'd still like the AC87U to handle DNS and Static Routes though. Will turning it into AP disable that?

Router 1 (which will serve WiFi) will handle DHCP and will be plugged directly into the AC87U.
Router 2 (AC87U) will only need to handle DNS and Static Routes and will be plugged directly into the ISP modem.

Thank you

Your 87U will be able to handle DNS but not static routes if it is in AP mode. Your setup is very confusing. Why are you having router 1 serve wifi and the 87U server as a plain switch?

Why not buy something like an Edge Router Lite and have it be your router. You could then use it for static routes and separate DHCP ranges, among other things as well. Then use the 87U as your wireless AP.

I have my network configured as follows:

My CenturyLink ONT plugs into my ERL ETH1. ETH0 goes to my 87U and ETH2 goes to a managed switch which handles traffic for everything else wired in the house including a second 87U. My ERL is also acting my firewall as well.

With the ERL you can pretty much do anything you want and for its price its pretty amazing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!