What's new

AC88U and slow internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GTvert90

Regular Contributor
I have an 88U and the other day I noticed my internet was so slow it's almost unusable. I was trouble shooting and did multiple reboots to the router and modem. I found the slow speeds happen over wired or wireless connection. Local LAN speeds are fine. Transferring files from 1 computer to another max out the gig NIC.

Hooking a computer to the modem gives me full speed.

Backing up, factory resetting the router, and restoring gave me full speed for about an hour.

Next time I factory reset the router and manually set it back up. I have open VPN on, I have 2 ports forwarded, ddns set up and one computer set to wake on lan. Otherwise all settings are stock. This time I got my full ~90mbps speed for 4 or 5 hours. Now it's back to ~9mbps.

Anything you guys can think of to try?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

~90mbps speed for 4 or 5 hours. Now it's back to ~9mbps
Hooking a computer to the modem gives me full speed
Based on these two statements, I suspect the connection between the router and the modem. The issue could be as simple as the physical connection or higher up the ISO model.
Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 9.26.47 AM.jpg

At the physical layer, a physical connection issue can cause an inability to connect at 1Gbps full duplex because of cable or plugs/jacks.
  • During the period of degradation, is the WAN connection at 1Gbps or other?
Another problem that can cause this issue is at the data link layer wherein Ethernet auto-negotiation will be continuous and cause the WAN interface to be extremely busy. Usually the ASUS system log will provide clues of this occurring. This is generally caused by an incompatibility between the modem and ASUS auto-negotiation levels. However, if you get full speed for 4-5 hours, this is probably not the cause unless it's a flaky cable.

Higher layers of the ISO model can cause this issue but we need to do more isolation and simplification of your network. Here are my suggestions:
  • Investigate the possibility of a physical connection issue
  • If you feel confident that it is not a physical connection issue, your WAN connection stays at 1Gbps, then power off everything in your network, except your PC, when the problem occurs. See if this resolves the degradation issue.
  • If powering everything off resolves the issue then one of your network devices is causing this.

I appreciate the detailed reply. I feel like I'm pretty techy and yet your whole post was stuff I don't think about. I'll do some more trouble shooting when I get home tonight. Thank you

I did have suspiciously high data usage this month and blew through my 1TB cap. Coming close isn't uncommon, but I was at like 900gb with 10 days to go in the month. I wonder if there is any relation

I did have suspiciously high data usage this month and blew through my 1TB cap. Coming close isn't uncommon, but I was at like 900gb with 10 days to go in the month. I wonder if there is any relation
That's another indication that one of your devices may be doing this. While Windows devices come to the top of my list, today there are many really cool home devices that can have challenges as well. I have a LaCrosse weather station that demands the time from NIST servers every few minutes and I can't change the setting to NTP or modify the frequency.

I didn't mean to get too verbose but from most opening posts, I don't get a good sense of a person's skill.

That's another indication that one of your devices may be doing this. While Windows devices come to the top of my list, today there are many really cool home devices that can have challenges as well. I have a LaCrosse weather station that demands the time from NIST servers every few minutes and I can't change the setting to NTP or modify the frequency.

I didn't mean to get too verbose but from most opening posts, I don't get a good sense of a person's skill.
You know. Now that you mentioned the auto negotiating that's something I'll have to look into. Does it say wan speed on the web ui?

I believe I used to pull 130 down but if it only negotiates 100mbps that would make sense why I only see 92. Is it possible it drops wan down to a 10mbps connection?

Found one issue. Still not sure why I'm seeing 9mpbs down instead of 80+
3c776b38debb8245431e52d62af91506.jpg

You know. Now that you mentioned the auto negotiating that's something I'll have to look into. Does it say wan speed on the web ui?

I believe I used to pull 130 down but if it only negotiates 100mbps that would make sense why I only see 92. Is it possible it drops wan down to a 10mbps connection?
That WAN connection should be at 1Gbps unless there is an issue with the cable or it's connectors.

I have not heard of a lot of auto-negotiation issues on WAN, though there was one that I know of that was resolved when the ISP installed a different modem. I, so far, have not heard of any auto-negotiation issues caused by ASUS products. Some modems can have the speed and duplex settings manually set.

Don't try to over think this. Fix the WAN connection first and foremost. Then we'll see if you still have the issue.

New (old ) modem lets hope it stays that way.

Thanks for your help.
602ae0fcdf13344b623dbb387bed7863.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!