What's new

AC88U as main router and ac86U as access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eltell69

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys, I have the ac88u as my main router due to its 8 ports and the ac86u as an access point. Well to be precise they are configured in aimesh at mo but will reconfigure the ac86u as an access point later seeing as aimesh isn't supported. My network is all wired and the aimesh is just for phones and laptops etc so my first question is can I extend my wifi in access point mode using the same security password or is a different one required in which case I suppose the phones for example will have to reconnect when moving round the house.
I'm installing a vpn which is why I require merlin f/w so as to enable particuler ip address access to the web for streaming etc which doesn't work with just default f/w and vpn setup.
Hope this all makes sense as I've decided to do it now as I'm the only one at home for a week so won't cause any issues with my wife or grand kids etc.
Hope you can advise me so thanks in advance.
Whoops forgot to ask is the merlin f/w required on both routers or just the main ac88u router.

Last edited: